I am trying to use the sqlnet.expire_time parameter in
my sqlnet.ora file to kill connections from dead processes.
The entry looks like this:

SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME=10

It does not seem to be working. Any ideas.

Oracle 8.1.7
AIX 4.3.3

Client is on w2k.

Thanks,
Peter Schauss

Search Discussions

  • Ron Rogers at Jul 23, 2003 at 8:35 pm
    Peter,
    I remember reading about this issue a while back. Check the orafaq
    archives. The client thinks that the connection is still established
    until they try to use it and then they are notified that the connection
    has been lost and they have to reconnect. As far as the process being
    removed in the Oracle database I think that is a process of the PMON and
    might have to be initiated. Like I said...check the orafaq acrhives.
    Ron
    peter.schauss_at_ngc.com 07/23/03 05:14PM >>>

    Author: Schauss, Peter
    INET: peter.schauss_at_ngc.com

  • Stephen Andert at Jul 23, 2003 at 8:54 pm
    Peter,

    What do you mean it is not working? Are you killing a client
    application and still seeing it's session in the database 10 minutes
    later? It does not kill a session just because it is idle, the client
    needs to have either killed the application, shutdown their pc or been
    disconnected from the network.

    Stephen
    peter.schauss_at_ngc.com 07/23/03 02:14PM >>>

    Author: Schauss, Peter
    INET: peter.schauss_at_ngc.com

  • Nuala Cullen at Jul 25, 2003 at 4:12 pm
    Hi there,

    I was just wondering if you change the values in the sqlnet.ora file do you
    need to bounce the database??

    I have looked up the documentation but it does n't mention it so I just
    wanted to make sure - no point in changing things if the database does not
    realise that you have changed certain parameters.

    Thanks,
    N.

    :->I am trying to use the sqlnet.expire_time parameter in
    :->my sqlnet.ora file to kill connections from dead processes.
    :->The entry looks like this:
    :->
    :->SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME=10

    :->
    :->
    :->It does not seem to be working. Any ideas.
    :->
    :->Oracle 8.1.7
    :->AIX 4.3.3

    :->Client is on w2k.
    :->
    :->Thanks,
    :->Peter Schauss
    :->--
    :->Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net
    :->--
    :->Author: Schauss, Peter
    :-> INET: peter.schauss_at_ngc.com
    :->
    :->Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
    :->San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services
    :->---------------------------------------------------------------------
    :->To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message
    :->to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in
    :->the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L
    :->(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may
    :->also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedJul 23, '03 at 8:13p
activeJul 25, '03 at 4:12p