Hi List,

I am using oracle 9i(9.0.1.0.0) or sun Solaris v2.8 when I run the following
commands got this error.

ALTER TABLE TEST1 RENAME COLUMN COL1 TO ID;

Here is the error:

ORA-14155: missing PARTITION or SUBPARTITION keyword
Any Idea, I was searching in googles but nothing found.
Thanks for your help.

Hamid Alavi

Office : 818-737-0526
Cell phone : 818-416-5095

Confidentiality Statement =======================
The information contained in this message and any attachments is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed, and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL
and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received
this message in error, you are prohibited from copying, distributing, or
using the information. Please contact the sender immediately by return
e-mail and delete the original message from your system.
===================== End Confidentiality Statement =====================

Author: Hamid Alavi
INET: hamid.alavi_at_quovadx.com

  • Deshpande, Kirti at May 16, 2003 at 6:27 pm
    That would work in 9i Release 2.

    Kirti

    Author: Deshpande, Kirti
    INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com

  • Tim Gorman at May 16, 2003 at 6:27 pm
    Hamid,

    That should work. Here is the same scenario on 9.2.0.1...

    SQL> create table x (c1 number, c2 number);

    Table created.

    SQL> alter table x rename column c1 to d1;
    Table altered.

    Just in case your error was a result of your table TEST1 being partitioned,
    I also tried the following:

    SQL> create table x (c1 number, c2 number) partition by range (c1)
    2 (partition p1 values less than (1));

    Table created.

    SQL> alter table x rename column c1 to d1;

    Table altered.

    One thing I will suggest is that, if there is any chance that you've
    encountered any bugs, then 9.0.1.0.0 is where you'll most likely encounter
    them. I don't think that an older version of 9i was ever made available
    outside of Oracle Development.

    For Solaris8, you can download v9.2.0.2.0 from "http://otn.oracle.com" and
    then download the 9203 patch from MetaLink to bring yourself up to date.
    It's all free and it's really easy. Do yourself a favor and just do it...

    Hope this helps...

    -Tim

    Author: Tim Gorman
    INET: tim_at_sagelogix.com

  • Ron Rogers at May 16, 2003 at 6:40 pm
    Hamid,
    The syntext is correct. Make sure that you did not make a typo as it
    appears that oracle doesn't recognize the word "COLUMN" and the same
    command and format is used to rename partitions.
    The manual states that you can not combine this command with any other
    column command. Is this a stand alone command?
    Ron
    hamid.alavi_at_quovadx.com 05/16/03 01:41PM >>>

    =====================

    Author: Hamid Alavi
    INET: hamid.alavi_at_quovadx.com

    Author: Ron Rogers
    INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org

  • Indy Johal at May 16, 2003 at 6:57 pm
    Hamid

    You are geting the error because of following reason

    Table been modified is PArtitioned table
    The database version is 9.0.1.x.x as this is not working in this
    version but will work in 9.2 and your syntax is going to work in 9.2. Do a
    test as I had got the issue some time back

    Thanks

    Indy Johal

    Hamid Alavi
    Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
    05/16/03 01:41 PM
    Please respond to ORACLE-L

    Author: Hamid Alavi
    INET: hamid.alavi_at_quovadx.com

    Author: Indy Johal
    INET: Indy_Johal_at_prnewswire.com

  • Hamid Alavi at May 16, 2003 at 7:34 pm
    so rename column is not working in 9i release? Strange

    Author: Hamid Alavi
    INET: hamid.alavi_at_quovadx.com

  • Deshpande, Kirti at May 16, 2003 at 7:34 pm
    It is a 9i Release 2 feature..
    It was an enhancement request in 9i Release 1 but actually got implemented in 9i Release 2.

    Kirti

    Author: Deshpande, Kirti
    INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com

  • Gogala, Mladen at May 16, 2003 at 7:51 pm
    It will work in oracle 19j.

    Mladen Gogala
    Oracle DBA

    Author: Hamid Alavi