Alex mailto:alex_a_at_pisem.net

Author: Alex Andriyashchenko
INET: alex_a_at_pisem.net

  • Joe Testa at Apr 19, 2003 at 5:36 pm
    Alex, check out the 9ir2 docs, its pretty informative.

    are you using a rman repository or just controlfile to maintain backup info?

    feel free to email me direct and if you're in the US and pressed for
    time, drop me a note with phone number and I'll give u a call.

    joe

    Alex Andriyashchenko wrote:
    Hello List,

    I have a question about database recovery with RMAN, Oracle 9i R2.

    I have a full database backup done with rman command "backup database"
    It includes original control file and spfile and all datafiles.
    Primary server has gone.

    How to run recovery process using this backupset on another machine with the
    same Oracle version and OS? I suppose I don't need to create any
    database on new place. I have to start some idle instance and use rman
    to restore and recovery files. Am I right? What are the necessary
    steps I have to do?

    Thank you for your help in advance.
    --
    Joseph S Testa
    Chief Technology Officer

    Author: Joe Testa
    INET: jtesta_at_dmc-it.com

  • DENNIS WILLIAMS at Apr 20, 2003 at 12:36 am
    Alex

    Just a warning. If your original server is gone, you may have problems.
    What you are describing is essentially a disaster recovery process. I've had
    to run through that several times, each time finding a file or something
    missing.

    Did you perform your RMAN backup using the control file or a catalog?
    You don't say what type of system you are using, Unix or NT. My
    experience relates only to Unix.

    First, can you place the RMAN backup pieces in the same location as they
    were on the original machine. Or create a link to that path?

    Second, do the file locations for all the database files exist?
    If those conditions are met, then you basically need to create a database
    with the same SID as the other database had, then start RMAN and recover the
    database. You will probably discover some minor issues, but probably not
    anything you can't overcome.

    Dennis Williams
    DBA, 40%OCP, 100% DBA

    Lifetouch, Inc.
    dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

    I have a question about database recovery with RMAN, Oracle 9i R2.

    I have a full database backup done with rman command "backup database"
    It includes original control file and spfile and all datafiles.
    Primary server has gone.

    How to run recovery process using this backupset on another machine with the
    same Oracle version and OS? I suppose I don't need to create any
    database on new place. I have to start some idle instance and use rman
    to restore and recovery files. Am I right? What are the necessary
    steps I have to do?

    Thank you for your help in advance.
    --
    Best regards,

    Alex mailto:alex_a_at_pisem.net

    Author: Alex Andriyashchenko
    INET: alex_a_at_pisem.net

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  • Alex Andriyashchenko at Apr 21, 2003 at 7:56 am
    Hi Folks,

    Many thanks for your help. I just want to add a few more things:
    1. I am staying with RH Linux Adv Server 2.0.
    2. rman doesn't have the recovery catalog.

    Q: Do I need to know exact location of all files of crushed database
    before I start recovery?

    Alex.

    Author: Alex Andriyashchenko
    INET: alex_a_at_pisem.net