Hussain

Author: Hussain Ahmed Qadri
INET: hussain_at_skm.org.pk

  • Jared.Still_at_radisys.com at Apr 9, 2003 at 12:53 am
    I took a fairly close look at Teradata 2.5 years ago.

    At that time, I could not see where it had any advantage over Oracle,
    particularly for Data Warehousing using star schemas.

    Whereas there are many benefits to using Oracle.

    Bitmap indexes ( don't think TD had those)

    Partitioning - TD had something like it, but the Oracle version
    was much more robust IIRC.

    Availability of skilled personnel - At the time I checked, there were
    69 open TD positions nationwide - At that time there were 6900
    Oracle positions.

    Non-proprietary - Teradata runs on NT or NCR, nothing else.

    Expense - believe it or not, TD costs more than Oracle.

    Development tools and 3rd party software - much more support for Oracle.

    ... more I can't recall.

    My employer at that time decided to dump Oracle for DW and go
    with TD instead. I left.

    Jared

    Hussain Ahmed Qadri
    Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com