work for just a sequence. Are there any more clever ways?

Author: Jacques Kilchoer
INET: Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com

  • Daniel W. Fink at Mar 26, 2003 at 9:59 pm
    Jacques,

    If you know the field that is being populated by the sequence,
    examine the last 25/50 entries, determine the pattern and 'high' value,
    then recreate the sequence accordingly.

    If you don't know the field, you can take a guess that it is the
    primary key (or perhaps another unique value).

    --
    Daniel W. Fink
    http://www.optimaldba.com

    IOUG-A Live! April 27 - May 1, 2003 Orlando, FL
    Sunday, April 27 8:30am - 4:30pm - Problem Solving with Oracle 9i SQL
    Wednesday, May 1 1:00pm - 2:00pm - Automatic Undo Internals

    Jacques Kilchoer wrote:
    The question from Janardhana Babu Donga yesterday about how to
    recreate a dropped package/procedure/function made me think about
    something else. Imagine the following scenario:

    There is some commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) software package running
    against my database. The software package uses sequences. Someone
    drops a sequence by mistake and later on jobs start failing right and
    left. I don't know exactly how the sequence is used so I don't know
    what start value to create it with if I did recreate it myself.

    I guess I would have to do a point-in-time recovery in another
    location until just before the sequence was dropped, but that seems
    like a lot of work for just a sequence. Are there any more clever ways
    Author: Daniel W. Fink
    INET: optimaldba_at_yahoo.com

  • Jacques Kilchoer at Mar 26, 2003 at 10:59 pm
    That would work if
    a) I knew that the sequence was being used to create values for a column in
    a table, and
    b) it was only used for that purpose.
    Which is obviously not always the case.
    Another list member suggested to me that I use LogMiner to look for changes
    in sys.seq$. I will try that.

    Author: Jacques Kilchoer
    INET: Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com