I'm trying to setup the sendmail feature ldap_routing using
Oracle Internet Directory (OID)for the LDAP server.

There is a matching rule in the sendmail schema called
caseExactIA5SubstringsMatch not doesn't exist in OID.

Has anyone found a way to resolve this problem?

I opened a tar with Oracle and was basically told 'to bad, use openldap'.
Matching rules are part of the basic Oracle OID schema and it is not
possible to add new or modify existing matching rules that are part of the
schema. If you want to use sendmail with LDAP you will need to use
something like openldap that does support the required matching rules you need.

The caseExactIA5SubstringsMatch matching rule has not been coded into the
OID schema up to this point because there has not been a requirement for it.

You can create an enhancement request to have this added into OID by
accessing http://ers.oracle.com.
Peter Johnson, DBA
Humboldt State University
johnson_at_humboldt.edu
707-826-6122

Those that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety

Search Discussions

  • Jesse, Rich at Mar 21, 2003 at 10:16 pm
    So Oracle doesn't support it (go figure), what about adding the schema
    yourself? That can't void Oracle Support can it?

    I think you're looking for RFC2307. I can't find the doc at Sun, but there
    is a PDF at

    http://www.netsys.com/library/papers/sun_ldap_setup.pdf

    You may need to rework the LDIFs to get it imported into OID.

    As a second option, you may be able to use SunOne (or OpenLDAP) *with* OID.
    RTM:

    Oracle Internet Directory Administrator's Guide
    Release 9.2
    Part Number A96574-01
    Part VIII

    HTH! GL!

    Rich

    Rich Jesse System/Database Administrator
    rich.jesse_at_qtiworld.com Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

    "Beer is proof God loves us."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

[...]

  • Peter Johnson at Mar 21, 2003 at 11:17 pm
    Rich,

    I am trying to import the sendmail.schema file from
    sendmail.org. The problem is that it contains a matching rule called
    caseIgnoreIA5SubstringsMatch which OID doesn't support. There is a
    caseIgnoreSubstringsMatch rule. I don't know if the IA5 part is important
    to sendmail.

    Oracle's response is "you can't add it and any attempts to add it are
    unsupported."
    You can add new object classes and objects by modifying subSchemaSubentry.
    You cannot, however, add new matching rules and syntaxes beyond those
    already supported by Oracle Internet Directory. "

    You cannot add caseIgnoreIA5SubstringsMatch, nor can you modify existing
    Matching Rules. Attempting to add or modify existing Matching Rules is not
    supported.
[...]

    - Benjamin Franklin, 1759
    Author: Jesse, Rich
    INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

    Peter Johnson, DBA
    Humboldt State University
    johnson_at_humboldt.edu
    707-826-6122

    Those that can give up essential liberty
  • Jesse, Rich at Mar 24, 2003 at 8:31 pm
    EGAD!!!

    I just fired up ODM on an old OID (been awhile -- forgot passwords, etc) and
    sure enough: it doesn't allow you to create or modify and Matching Rules!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUGH!

    I'm thinking that you could still add this with the command line tools,
    though. The problem's that Oracle Corp will probably stomp over that OID
    (Object ID) with one of it's proprietary matching rules or something and
    you'll be S.O.L. It may also break future patches and "upgrades". If
    you're using OID's f'd-up version of Replication, well that's just asking
    for trouble.

    Good gravy. I think you're beginning to see some of the reasons why we
    dumped OID in favor of a *REAL* LDAP.

    Sorry I couldn't help more. Start yelling (nicely) at your Oracle salesman!
    Maybe they can get some input into The Powers That Be (or directly to the
    OID product manager for anyone on this list who may have that contact ).

[...]

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedMar 21, '03 at 9:29p
activeMar 24, '03 at 8:31p
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

Jesse, Rich: 2 posts Peter Johnson: 2 posts