RMAN (non)compatability,

Recently I ran into a problem myself:
o Target DBs (NT & W2k) were at 8.1.7.0 and catalog (Solaris) was at 8.1.7.2
(backups controlled from here using cron).
o Test recovery scenarios completed OK
(Voice in head says, 'NEW TO RMAN, GOTTA TEST!).
o A couple of months ago some NT DBs were upgraded to 8.1.7.4 but RMAN did
not complain!
o Last week a restore of an 8.1.7.4 datafile was required but RMAN kept
giving an error including the text: "...PLS-00302: Component 'LOCKFORCKPT'
must be declared..."
(voices in head says, Got that CV up to date?)

Solution:
Luckily - we still had nightly cold backups that we hadn't got around to
stopping yet!
So I was able to do a full cold restore (Also luckily only a test DB)
Voice in my head says to me,
'MIKE THIS IS YOUR WARNING - UPGRADE RMAN CATALOG BEFORE A LIVE DATABASE

GOES SCREWY!'

I upgraded RMAN catalog DB to 8.1.7.4 and issued the upgrade catalog
command.

SOMETIMES INCOMPATIBILITY WILL LET YOU BACK UP BUT NOT RESTORE!

(Voice in head asks, 'RMAN - What is it good for, huh?'.

There's an RMAN compatibility matrix on metalink (a bit confusing)
and a note that is quite clear regarding 8.1.7.4. I've lost the doc ids but
a search will find them.

Mike.