please remember us when the list of "2-to-5 values that never change"
change. and we tell you "we told you so".

and why do you care if the developer will get mad? he's wrong. you know, I
know it and everyone on this list knows it.

foreign keys are the final answer.

that is all.
In the main, I absolutely agree (i.e. I don't think lookup tables are
inherently "bad").

However, in this particular instance, the check constraint is a perfect
solution (I won't bore you with the reasons why).

--
Aidan Whitehall
Macromedia ColdFusion Developer

http://www.star.net.uk