Help!

I ftp'ed the oracle client libraries from one system to another, with a totally different SID. I renamed and edited all the profiles for the user ID's, but the client software cannot seem to communicate with the server. The error messages appear to indicate a TNS name lookup failure, but everything looks right to me. Can anyone spot the problem?
This is unfortunately an SAP install, so TNSPING is not available. The R3trans -d fails with a "no connect possible"

SQLNET.LOG

Fatal NI connect error 12545, connecting to:
(DESCRIPTION=(SDU=32768)(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=QA1)(GLOBAL_NAME=QA1.WORLD)(CID=(PROGRAM=)(HOST=sapdv1)(USER=qa1adm)))(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=QA1.WORLD))(ADDRESS=(COMMUNITY=SAP.WORLD)(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=sapqa1)(PORT=1527))))

VERSION INFORMATION:

TNS for HPUX: Version 8.0.5.0.0 - Production
Unix Domain Socket IPC NT Protocol Adaptor for HPUX: Version 8.0.5.0.0 -

Production
Time: 29-JAN-03 20:27:38
Tracing not turned on.
Tns error struct:
nr err code: 12206
TNS-12206: Message 12206 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK, facility=TNS
ns main err code: 12545
TNS-12545: Message 12545 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK, facility=TNS
ns secondary err code: 12560
nt main err code: 515
TNS-00515: Message 515 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK, facility=TNS
nt secondary err code: 216
nt OS err code: 0

TNSNAMES.ORA on server

extproc_connection_data =
(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = ))
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = extproc))
)

=
(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL= TCP)(Host= sapqa1)(Port= 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ))
)
QA1.WORLD=

(DESCRIPTION =

(SDU = 32768)

(ADDRESS_LIST =

(ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = SAP.WORLD)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = sapqa1)
(PORT = 1527)
)

)
(CONNECT_DATA =

(SID = QA1)
(GLOBAL_NAME = QA1.WORLD)

)
)

TNSNAMES.ORA on client machine

QA1.WORLD=

(DESCRIPTION =

(SDU = 32768)

(ADDRESS_LIST =

(ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = SAP.WORLD)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = sapqa1)
(PORT = 1527)
)

)
(CONNECT_DATA =

(SID = QA1)
(GLOBAL_NAME = QA1.WORLD)

)
)

Author: Brooks, Russ
INET: Russ.Brooks_at_dayzim.com

  • Kip.Bryant_at_Vishay.com at Jan 30, 2003 at 5:05 pm
    attached mail follows:

    Hi Russ,

    When you run R3trans -d, it creates a "trans.log" file in the current
    directory. This will help you debug this. Errors in that log file can be used
    to look up possible problems in SAP's "OSS".

    On the app server I assume you've edited the ".dbenv" hidden files and are
    setting the correct environment. Are services set up correctly? What does
    listener.ora look like? Are you sure it is able to find tnsnames.ora?

    Kip Bryant
    Help!
    I ftp'ed the oracle client libraries from one system to another, with a
    totally different SID. I renamed and edited all the profiles for the user
    ID's, but the client software cannot seem to communicate with the server.
    The error messages appear to indicate a TNS name lookup failure, but
    everything looks right to me. Can anyone spot the problem?
    This is unfortunately an SAP install, so TNSPING is not available.
    ...meaning Oracle stuff is not mounted so you can't run svrmgrl, sqlplus,
    tnsping? What about ../network/admin for tnsnames.ora?
[...]
    extproc_connection_data =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = ))
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = extproc))
[...]