The support analyst handling my TAR gave up, perhaps someone on here can
help me out...

I have an 8.0.4.4.0 database. I used RMAN to perform a full backup of my
database on server A (Brain). The RMAN recovery catalog database is on
server B (Delenn). I am attempting to restore it to a 3rd instance which is
on server C (Ariel). On server C I created a new instance and it is in
startup nomount currently. From server B I am attempting to restore to
server C.

run {
allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE' parms
'ENV=(NSR_SERVER=delenn,NSR_CLIENT=ariel)';

set newname for datafile 1 to '/usr/oracle/DB1/datfiles/system01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 2 to '/usr/oracle/DB1/datfiles/rbs01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 3 to '/usr/oracle/DB1/datfiles/temp01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 4 to '/usr/oracle/DB1/datfiles/user01.dbf';

restore database;
release channel t1;
}

RMAN-10032: unhandled exception during execution of job step 1: ORA-06512:
at line 137
RMAN-10035: exception raised in RPC: ORA-19624: operation failed, retry
possible
ORA-19507: failed to retrieve sequential file,
handle="Incr_level0_db_DB1_151_1.hot", parms=""
ORA-27007: failed to open file
Additional information: 7009
Additional information: 2
ORA-06512: at "SYS.X$DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE", line 925
RMAN-10031: ORA-19624 occurred during call to
DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE.RESTOREBACKUPPIECE

Author: Gary Jackson
INET: fred_fred_1_at_hotmail.com

  • Freeman Robert - IL at Jan 30, 2003 at 9:07 pm
    Just offhand it looks to me like maybe you cant find the backup piece on the
    tape server. Talk to your tape folks and make sure that you can get to the
    delenn tape server from teh ariel server. They may need to put the tapes you
    backed up on brian into a different class or something.

    RF

    Author: Gary Jackson
    INET: fred_fred_1_at_hotmail.com

    Author: Freeman Robert - IL
    INET: FREEMANR_at_tusc.com

  • Jared Still at Jan 31, 2003 at 3:04 pm
    What is your MML?

    Jared

    --------------------------------

    Author: Jared Still
    INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

  • Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us at Jan 31, 2003 at 4:24 pm
    Are you sure that you have linked your MML to Oracle RDBMS on all hosts? I
    thought NSR_SERVER needed to be set to the host on which the target was -
    due to the fact that the client indexes on each database target host stores
    information on the backupsets.

    Author: Jared Still
    INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

    INET: Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us

  • Gary Jackson at Jan 31, 2003 at 4:39 pm
    Legato Networker version 6.1.1.Build.238
    OS: SunOS 5.6
    Database: Oracle8 Enterprise Edition Release 8.0.4.4.0

    TIA!

    Author: Gary Jackson
    INET: fred_fred_1_at_hotmail.com

  • Gary Jackson at Jan 31, 2003 at 5:20 pm
    Can you please clarify what you mean by "linking the MML to Oracle"? I am
    unable to create the RMAN schema,table,and views on the 'to-be-clone'
    database yet since it is just a non-mounted instance at this point in time.

    I assumed I would connect to rman as a rcvcat on the server with the dbcat
    database and the legato tape device. Then connect as the target to the
    to-be-clone non-mounted instance. Is this correct?

    Then in the restore rman script I use:
    NSR_SERVER as the tape device/dbcat server
    NSR_CLIENT as the to-be-clone target server

    Is this correct?

    Thanks in advance!
    -Gary

    Author: Jared Still
    INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

    Author: Gary Jackson
    INET: fred_fred_1_at_hotmail.com

  • Janardhana Babu Donga at Jan 31, 2003 at 6:45 pm
    I do this many times with Veritas NetBackup. The steps may be similar for
    legato with slight variation.

    [1] By Default Netbackup or Legato restores files only to the client from
    which the files were backed up(Brain). Your Netbackup administrator should
    configure to let you restore to an alternate client(Ariel). There may be
    similar steps for Legato.

    [2] Startup nomount

    [3] run {

    allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE'
    parms="ENV=(NB_ORA_CLIENT=brain.xxxx.com; export
    NB_ORA_CLIENT)";
    restore controlfile;
    alter database mount;

    }

    Look for similar parameter for Legato, may be NSR_CLIENT in place of
    NB_ORA_CLIENT.

    [4] run {

    allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE'
    parms="ENV=(NB_ORA_CLIENT=brain.xxxx.com; export
    NB_ORA_CLIENT)";
    restore database;

    }

    Hope this helps.

    Babu

    Author: Gary Jackson
    INET: fred_fred_1_at_hotmail.com

    Author: Janardhana Babu Donga
    INET: jbdonga_at_ucdavis.edu

  • Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us at Jan 31, 2003 at 6:57 pm
    There really are a number of ways to do this. Another gotcha - make sure
    the OS versions are the same otherwise you will have to relink the oracle
    software.

    Go to metalink and type in NSR_SERVER and you will find a really useful
    note: 120188.1 "How To Restore A Database To A Second Node Using RMAN and
    Legato Networker"

    You will not have to create to the RMAN catalog locally. As long as the
    RMAN binaries are there you will be able to run rman and connect to a remote
    RMAN catalog. Of course, this implies that you have your Net8 listener and
    clients (tnsnames.ora) setup appropriately. If you run:
    rman and you get a prompt and can successfully do the following
    connect rcvcat user/pass_at_databaselinkforrmancatalog
    connected successfully

    Then you are using the rman catalog in a remote database (i.e. another host)
    - no problem.

    There are specific commands to link networker libraries to oracle libraries
    and you can do this relinking without the rman catalog or a database - just
    the oracle software and networker libraries.

    The following is create granted NSR_SERVER is where the backup was done.
    Since you don't have a database or rman locally you will have to run rman
    with a connect command as above.

    NSR_SERVER as the tape device/dbcat server
    NSR_CLIENT as the to-be-clone target server

    Also, you likely will have to set your dbid to restore the correct control
    file.

    See below:

    disaster recover mgm with rman

    Hi,
    I simulate a disaster recover by losing all datafile, online redo and
    controlfile.
    The db was backed up on tape and after that only redos were.
    I remove all db files and try to restore/recover with following

    connect target /;
    connect catalog system/manager_at_obk;
    run {
    debug on;
    set command id to "REC_DB";
    allocate channel ch1 type "SBT_TAPE"
    parms "ENV=(NSR_DATA_VOLUME_POOL=RC)";
    shutdown abort;
    startup pfile=/opt/oracle/admin/instances/omc/pfile/initomc.ora nomount;
    restore controlfile;
    alter database mount;
    restore database;
    recover database;
    # Complete this last step only if no more archived logs need to be applied.
    alter database open resetlogs;
    }

    I got the error:

    EXEC SQL AT RCVCAT begin dbms_rcvman . setDatabase ( upper (
    :dbname:dbname_i ), :rlscn, :rltime, :fhdbi:fhdbi_i ); end;
    sqlcode=-20005
    setDatabase: db_id is null
    krmicomp: error 6004 signalled during compilation
    krmicomp: error 3002 signalled during compilation

    RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
    RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
    RMAN-03002: failure during compilation of command
    RMAN-03013: command type: restore
    RMAN-03002: failure during compilation of command

    RMAN-03013: command type: IRESTORE
    RMAN-06004: ORACLE error from recovery catalog database: RMAN-20005: target
    database name is ambiguous
    RMAN-06097: text of failing SQL statement: begin dbms_rcvman . setDatabase (
    upper ( :dbname:dbname_i ), :rlscn, :rltime, :fhdbi:fhdbi_i ); end;
    RMAN-06099: error occurred in source file: krmk.pc, line: 9140

    Recovery Manager complete.
    krmxcd: xc=6807624

    Thanks in advance for help.

    Hi,

    Try to start the database in nomount from svrmgr
    and then connect with rman.

    Harvinder

    Hi,

    you have coonected to the target before starting your restore operation and
    same time you are trying shutdown database inside the program. i think RMAN
    is confused about null db name .

    you can shutdown and statrtup with nomount your target database before
    starting your job .

    Hope this helps.

    Pramod Gudula
    pgudula_at_hotmail.com
    Pramod.Gudula_at_colesmyer.com.au
    ColesMyer Pty Ltd.
    Australia

    Thanks for suggestions,
    but I tried to do what you suggest before posting my mail and It didn't
    work.
    I try again this morning with same result.
    Bye

    You need to recover the controlfile from the recovery catalog using the set
    dbid.

    Try the following:

    svrmgrl> connect internal
    connected
    svrmgrl> starutp nomount
    exit
    rman
    RMAN> set dbid =
    RMAN> connect target / catalog
    allocate channel(s)
    restore controlfile to 'apsolute path'
    allocate channel d1 type disk
    replicate controlfile from 'absolute path'
    sql 'alter database mount';
    allocate channel
    restore database
    recover database
    etc.....

    Reem Munakash
    Electronic Support

    OK,
    catching right dbid it works!
    Thanks.

    Author: Jared Still
    INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

    Author: Gary Jackson
    INET: fred_fred_1_at_hotmail.com

    INET: Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us

  • Janardhana Babu Donga at Jan 31, 2003 at 6:57 pm
    Contd....

    It looks to me that you are trying to restore to Ariel from Delenn (where
    catalog database resides). You must log in to the Ariel Box, switch to the
    DB using "oraenv", then connect to DB on Ariel( which is in nomount state)
    and the catalog DB (Delenn) as:
    rman target / catalog rman/rman@.
    then follow the instructions below. Make sure you have permission to restore
    to ARIEL from the backup taken by BRAIN.

    Babu

    Author: Gary Jackson
    INET: fred_fred_1_at_hotmail.com

    Author: Janardhana Babu Donga
    INET: jbdonga_at_ucdavis.edu

  • Jay Hostetter at Jan 31, 2003 at 7:21 pm
    Gary,

    Why are you trying to create the RMAN schema? You could be connecting to the RMAN database that was used for making the backup. To clone a database, your target should be your production db, your catalog should be the RMAN catalog that was used for the backup, your clone should be auxiliary. e.g.: rman uname/password_at_prod target uname/password_at_rmandb auxiliary / (assuming that your environment is set for the auxiliary database - SID, ORACLE_HOME, etc.).
    I only use RMAN for backing up to disk, so I can' t help with the MML portion (media management layer).

    Jay
    fred_fred_1_at_hotmail.com 01/31/03 12:20PM >>>
    Can you please clarify what you mean by "linking the MML to Oracle"? I am
    unable to create the RMAN schema,table,and views on the 'to-be-clone'
    database yet since it is just a non-mounted instance at this point in time.

    I assumed I would connect to rman as a rcvcat on the server with the dbcat
    database and the legato tape device. Then connect as the target to the
    to-be-clone non-mounted instance. Is this correct?

    Then in the restore rman script I use:
    NSR_SERVER as the tape device/dbcat server
    NSR_CLIENT as the to-be-clone target server

    Is this correct?

    Thanks in advance!
    -Gary

    **DISCLAIMER

    This e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail message. The contents do not represent the opinion of D&E except to the extent that it relates to their official business.

    Author: Jay Hostetter
    INET: jhostetter_at_decommunications.com

  • Gary Jackson at Jan 31, 2003 at 7:56 pm
    Jay,
    I'm confused. Based on what you said I would want to connect my target to
    my production db and my catalog to my dbcat/tapeserver. If I understand your
    suggestion correctly, how would RMAN know to recover to the new clone
    database?

    Author: Jay Hostetter
    INET: jhostetter_at_decommunications.com

    Author: Gary Jackson
    INET: fred_fred_1_at_hotmail.com

  • Gary Jackson at Jan 31, 2003 at 8:23 pm
    Thank you all for your help on this. The solution was a misconfiguration of
    Legato. My tape SA and I discovered that Legato had not been configured to
    allow permissions for files to be restored from my source database to my
    clone database. We granted this through the 'nwrecover', and the database
    has begun its restore process.

    Again, thanks to all for their tips/help!!!
    -Gary

    Author: Gary Jackson
    INET: fred_fred_1_at_hotmail.com

    Author: Janardhana Babu Donga
    INET: jbdonga_at_ucdavis.edu

    Author: Gary Jackson
    INET: fred_fred_1_at_hotmail.com

  • Jay Hostetter at Jan 31, 2003 at 8:39 pm
    Gary,

    This is the procedure that I use to setup a duplicate/clone/auxiliary database, as outlined on pg. 7-18 of the 8.1.6 Rel.2 RMAN User's Guide and Reference. This creates a duplicate database with a unique dbid. Rman knows that it should recover to the clone because I issue a duplicate command in my script. The command parameters are confusing ('target' would more aptly be named 'source' and 'auxiliary' is the real 'target' when cloning).
    Looking back over your email, I see that you are on 8.0.6, so there may be some differences. I better let the advice to those that are more experienced with that version.

    Here is a sample script that I use:

    run {
    set until scn 1016905055;
    allocate auxiliary channel ch1 type disk;
    allocate auxiliary channel ch2 type disk;
    set newname for datafile 1 to '/t202/oradata/INTT/system01.dbf';
    set newname for datafile 2 to '/t202/oradata/INTT/tools01.dbf';
    ...yadda yadda...
    set newname for datafile 11 to '/t204/oradata/INTT/tape_data01.dbf';
    duplicate target database to INTT
    logfile
    group 1 ('/t202/oradata/INTT/redo1a.log','/t203/oradata/INTT/redo1b.log') size 1m,
    ...yadda yadda...
    group 4 ('/t202/oradata/INTT/redo4a.log','/t203/oradata/INTT/redo4b.log') size 1m;
    }

    Jay
    "Gary Jackson" 01/31/03 02:54PM >>>

    Author: Jay Hostetter
    INET: jhostetter_at_decommunications.com

  • Johnson Poovathummoottil at Jan 31, 2003 at 10:01 pm
    check the client in Parms it has to be the sever name
    from which you did the backup.

    Freeman Robert - IL wrote:
[...]

    Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months
    FREE*

    Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
    http://www.orafaq.net
    Author: Gary Jackson
    INET: fred_fred_1_at_hotmail.com

    Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051
    http://www.fatcity.com
    San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web
    hosting services
    E-Mail message
    'ListGuru') and in
    ORACLE-L
    from). You may
    also send the HELP command for other information
    (like subscribing).
    Author: Freeman Robert - IL
    INET: FREEMANR_at_tusc.com

    Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051
    http://www.fatcity.com
    San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web
    hosting services
    E-Mail message
    'ListGuru') and in
    ORACLE-L
    from). You may
    also send the HELP command for other information
    (like subscribing).
    Do you Yahoo!?
    http://mailplus.yahoo.com

    Author: Johnson Poovathummoottil