Banarasi Babu
Author: BanarasiBabu Tippa
INET: btippa_at_ORsoftware-india.com

  • DENNIS WILLIAMS at Jan 24, 2003 at 3:39 pm
    Banarasi - Worse than that, Oracle used to recommend that you use no more
    than 4 characters (look at your process names, and imagine if your O.S. only
    allowed 8 characters for the name). The problem is that some, mostly older,
    computer systems have severe filesystem and process name limitations. I know
    that it is hard for you young whipper-snappers;-) to believe, but back in
    the olden days, a byte was expensive. Oracle built its empire by running
    well on everybody's system. So this restriction allowed/allows Oracle to run
    on some pretty archaic systems.

    Will it ever be changed? I wouldn't bet on it. Think about how many
    separate parts of Oracle would have to be changed. And where is the ROI for
    this change?
    Dennis Williams
    DBA, 40%OCP

    Lifetouch, Inc.