List:
I have a developer trying to install Oracle9i Application Server Release 2 (9.0.3) on a .net server. He's using the install disk for Windows NT and 2000. Needless to say, it gives him an error and throws up.
He considers .net just another operating system like np or 2000. I think of it more like a competitor for OAS. At any rate, I can't find any mention of .net on either Metalink or OTN (except how much better OAS is than .net)
Does anyone know if Oracle has an application server installation for .net? If so, do you know how I might get it? Is this a silly question? Should I be hanging my head in shame??
Thanks in advance for any information.
Barb

Do you Yahoo!?
Author: Barbara Baker
INET: barbarabbaker_at_yahoo.com

  • Jeremy Pulcifer at Dec 17, 2002 at 11:53 pm
    .Net is not an OS. The developer (here it comes) doesn't know what he's
    talking about.

    I have a developer trying to install Oracle9i Application Server Release 2
    (9.0.3) on a .net server. He's using the install disk for Windows NT and
    2000. Needless to say, it gives him an error and throws up.

    He considers .net just another operating system like np or 2000. I think of
    it more like a competitor for OAS. At any rate, I can't find any mention of
    .net on either Metalink or OTN (except how much better OAS is than .net)

    Does anyone know if Oracle has an application server installation for .net?
    If so, do you know how I might get it? Is this a silly question? Should I
    be hanging my head in shame??

    Thanks in advance for any information.

    Barb

    Do you Yahoo!?
    Yahoo! Mail <http://rd.yahoo.com/mail/mailsig/*http://mailplus.yahoo.com>
    Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up
    <http://rd.yahoo.com/mail/mailsig/*http://mailplus.yahoo.com> now

    Author: Jeremy Pulcifer
    INET: Jeremy.Pulcifer_at_kadiri.com

  • Ron Thomas at Dec 18, 2002 at 12:04 am
    Metalink shows certification only for Oracle Server 9.2 on .net, so keep spinning those wheels...

    Ron Thomas
    Hypercom, Inc
    rthomas_at_hypercom.com
    Each new user of a new system uncovers a new class of bugs. -- Kernighan

    barbarabbaker_at_yah
    oo.com To: ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
    Sent by: cc:
    root_at_fatcity.com Subject: Oracle Application Server on .net

    12/17/2002 04:34
    PM
    Please respond to
    ORACLE-L

    Author: Ron Thomas
    INET: rthomas_at_hypercom.com

  • Regina Harter at Dec 18, 2002 at 12:33 am
    The way it was explained to me at a .NET upgrade conference is that .NET is
    sort of an overlay on top of XP. Anything that is going to run in the .NET
    framework must conform to certain coding conventions and standards.
    .Net is not an OS. The developer (here it comes) doesn't know what he's
    talking about.
    I have a developer trying to install Oracle9i Application Server Release
    2 (9.0.3) on a .net server. He's using the install disk for Windows NT
    and 2000. Needless to say, it gives him an error and throws up.

    He considers .net just another operating system like np or 2000. I think
    of it more like a competitor for OAS. At any rate, I can't find any
    mention of .net on either Metalink or OTN (except how much better OAS is
    than .net)

    Does anyone know if Oracle has an application server installation for
    .net? If so, do you know how I might get it? Is this a silly
    question? Should I be hanging my head in shame??

    Thanks in advance for any information.

    Barb

    Do you Yahoo!?
    <http://rd.yahoo.com/mail/mailsig/*http://mailplus.yahoo.com>Yahoo! Mail
    Plus - Powerful. Affordable.
    <http://rd.yahoo.com/mail/mailsig/*http://mailplus.yahoo.com>Sign up now
    Author: Regina Harter
    INET: rharter_at_emc-inc.com

  • Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY) at Dec 18, 2002 at 12:38 am
    .Net does refer to an OS (in addition to referring to a platform / group of languages).

    To see some information from Oracle on this have a look at http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_id=161546.1&p_database_id=NOT
    This includes "...In the future Microsoft will be delivering server editions of Windows XP, these will use the Windows .NET Server naming convention. ..."

    To see some details on Microsoft's web site look at http://www.microsoft.com/windows.netserver/default.mspx "Windows .NET Server 2003 Release Candidate 2 is here."

    You can download it from http://www.microsoft.com/windows.netserver/preview/default.mspx

    What error does the developer doing the install get?

    Regards,
    Bruce Reardon

    .Net is not an OS. The developer (here it comes) doesn't know what he's talking about.