With Oracle 8.1.7, Solaris 8 OS.

I have a shared storage device for storing all my datafiles, control files,
redo logs, archive logs, etc.. everything except for the ORACLE_HOME and
Oracle binaries.

If I have the file system and database mounted to one machine, and have a
fully open, available database running. What happens if someone else tries
to mount the same files to another machine and start up the same database on
it. (No OPS or RAC involved)

I get the following error on the on the second machine...

SVRMGR> ORACLE instance started.
Total System Global Area 272359584 bytes
Fixed Size 73888 bytes
Variable Size 88678400 bytes
Database Buffers 183427072 bytes
Redo Buffers 180224 bytes
Database mounted.
SVRMGR> ORA-00283: recovery session canceled due to errors

ORA-01122: database file 1 failed verification check
ORA-01110: data file 1: '/fs1/oradata/db1/system01_raw.dbf'
ORA-01207: file is more recent than controlfile - old controlfile

SVRMGR> alter database open
*

ORA-01122: database file 1 failed verification check
ORA-01110: data file 1: '/fs1/oradata/db1/system01_raw.dbf'
ORA-01207: file is more recent than controlfile - old controlfile

SVRMGR> Server Manager complete.
EXITING 1

Unable to start Oracle instance

Will this corrupt the database? Will it harm/corrupt the original instance?
What happens if someone tries to recover it at this point? Does it make a
difference whether its a RAW or cooked file system?

Any help is appreciated!

Nick

Author: Nick Wagner
INET: Nick.Wagner_at_quest.com

  • Mogens Nørgaard at Dec 5, 2002 at 8:39 am
    Nope, no corruption of data files as far as I can see. The mount lock
    (or whatever it's called now) protects Oracle from having two instances
    mount the same database. There used to be a wonderful _no_mount_lock
    parameter or such, but I never got it to work. You should be OK.

    Mogens

    Author: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mogens_N=F8rgaard?=
    INET: mln_at_miracleas.dk

  • Stephen Lee at Dec 5, 2002 at 3:38 pm