Broadband? Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.

Author: dist cash
INET: mccdba_at_hotmail.com

  • Jeffrey Beckstrom at Oct 30, 2002 at 7:06 pm
    wonderfull:))))))

    For me at least. I have been waiting ages for somebody to hit our problem. Oracle has been looking at it for months. In our case, it only happens during patching of the Oracle Apps 11i software.

    does this match:
    CPU goes to 100% (in some cases may not be that high - usually is but had a case of only at 20 %).
    no users logged into the database - check v$session
    if use pslist utility from sysinternals.com to list threads in the oracle process, you find the thread consuming cpu does not exist in the v$session view.
    Using orakill on the thread consuming CPU has no impact.
    Shutting down the database does not resolve.
    must stop the service to get the cpu back to normal.
    restart database and resume patching and all is fine.
    If this matches your problem would really be interested since Oracle says we are the only one with the problem.

    Jeffrey Beckstrom
    Database Administrator
    Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
    1240 W. 6th Street
    Cleveland, Ohio 44113
    (216) 781-4204
    mccdba_at_hotmail.com 10/30/02 1:34:08 PM >>>
    We have problem on ORACLE on NT (Oracle 8.1.7). The oracle.exe show it
    use 100% CPU usage, but their is NO user inside ORACL (select usrname from
    v$session).
    I used to remember NT resource kit have tool can check which thread under
    ORACLE.exe use most CPU time and have tool can kill it.

    Can anyone give me a hint?

    Thanks.

    Broadband? Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.

    Author: dist cash
    INET: mccdba_at_hotmail.com

    Author: Jeffrey Beckstrom
    INET: JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org

  • Steve Perry at Oct 31, 2002 at 1:43 pm
    you can use the "oracle administration assistant for windows nt" in the
    "database administration". It allows you to see the thread ids and their cpu
    usage.
    open it up and navigate down to databases and right click on the database
    and there's an option for Process Information.

    for 9i, the mmc file is C:\Program Files\Oracle\MMC Snap-Ins\Administration
    Assistant\orammcadm9us.msc

    Author: dist cash
    INET: mccdba_at_hotmail.com

    Author: Steve Perry