-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 3:15 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

We have a need to change the datatype of several columns in a table from
number to varchar2. Most of the rows have data in these columns hence a
direct 'alter table ...' will not work.

We plan to create a temp table, move the data from these colums to that
table, modify the column datatype from number to varchar2 and then update
the colums with the data that was moved to the temp table.

Any suggestions/comments or a better way to do this ? Oh, and we are on
8.1.7.1

thanx
deepak

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  • Rachel Carmichael at Oct 24, 2002 at 9:18 pm
    Dennis,

    That's a good thought, and it works if you don't have grants,
    constraints or dependencies on the original table.

    If you drop table1, you lose them all

    Rachel

    DENNIS WILLIAMS wrote:
    Deepak, If there are many columns on these tables, your method may be
    best.
    However, this will generate a lot of redo. You can usually accomplish
    this
    with a CTAS nologging, which won't generate redo. If you really don't
    want
    to change the location, you can:
    create table temp as select * from table1 nologging
    drop table table1
    create table table1 (column, column . . . ) as select * from temp
    nologging
    drop table temp

    Dennis Williams
    DBA, 40%OCP
    Lifetouch, Inc.
    dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
    http://webhosting.yahoo.com/

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

  • Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com at Oct 24, 2002 at 9:18 pm
    Could you preserve the constraints and indices if you do somthing similar
    like

    create table temp as select * from table1 nologging
    TRUNCATE table table1

    ALTER TABLE table1
    NOLOGGING;

    ALTER TABLE table1 MODIFY(column...);

    Do a direct load insert

    ALTER TABLE table1 LOGGING;

    DROP TABLE temp

    I have not done direct load insert but read it can be done for NOLOGGING
    Rick

    DENNIS WILLIAMS

    Sent by: cc:
    root_at_fatcity.co Subject: RE: Suggestions solicited - Change Column
    m Datatype from Number to

    10/24/2002
    04:35 PM
    Please respond
    to ORACLE-L

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

    INET: Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com

  • Stephane Faroult at Oct 24, 2002 at 9:54 pm

    --- DENNIS WILLIAMS wrote:
[...]

    Hmmm, generating the suitable script from USER_TAB_PRIVS,
    USER_CONSTRAINTS, USER_IND_COLUMNS and USER_CONS_COLUMNS is not too
    difficult ... at least if you are familiar with the dictionary.

    But why the second CTAS ? What about RENAME ? Seems faster to me ...

    Stephane Faroult
    Oriole Software
    Author: Stephane Faroult
    INET: sfaroult_at_oriole.com

  • DENNIS WILLIAMS at Oct 24, 2002 at 10:04 pm
    Yeah, well the developers are always pi$$ed about something anyway.;-)

    Seriously, good point, I've been spoiled, because most of my applications
    have kept the RI in the application as was being discussed earlier. Now they
    are switching to Java and in future projects will be implementing RI in
    Oracle, so I'll have to be more careful about that.

    Dennis Williams
    DBA, 40%OCP

    Lifetouch, Inc.
    dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  • DENNIS WILLIAMS at Oct 24, 2002 at 10:14 pm
    Stephane - You asked:

    But why the second CTAS ? What about RENAME ? Seems faster to me ...

    Well, it depends on whether you are okay with changing locations of the
    table. Personally, I'm with you, just accomplish everything with one move of
    the data. But I figured someone would object, insisting on ending up with
    everything in the original location.

    Dennis Williams
    DBA, 40%OCP

    Lifetouch, Inc.
    dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

    Author: Stephane Faroult
    INET: sfaroult_at_oriole.com

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  • Rachel Carmichael at Oct 25, 2002 at 12:33 am
    Stephane,

    It's easy if there is only one level of dependency... but what if (as
    they did in one of my systems) there are levels of dependency? It's
    sort of like trying to write (or rewrite) the ideptree view. Only you
    have to save off the scripts, in the proper order. Oh yes, don't forget
    views and stored programs which can become invalid.

    It's NOT trivial.

    Rachel

    Author: Stephane Faroult
    INET: sfaroult_at_oriole.com

    http://webhosting.yahoo.com/

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

  • Rachel Carmichael at Oct 25, 2002 at 12:38 am
    9i -- dbms_redefinition

    should do it for you :)

    DENNIS WILLIAMS wrote:
    Yeah, well the developers are always pi$$ed about something anyway.
    ;-)

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

    also send the HELP command for other information (like
    subscribing).

    http://webhosting.yahoo.com/
    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

  • Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com at Oct 25, 2002 at 12:58 pm
    The user stated they were using 8.1.7.1 :)

    Rachel
    Carmichael To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

    ahoo.com> cc:
    Sent by: Subject: RE: Suggestions solicited - Change Column
    root_at_fatcity.c Datatype from Number to
    om

    10/24/2002
    08:38 PM
    Please respond
    to ORACLE-L

    9i -- dbms_redefinition

    should do it for you :)

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

    INET: Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com

  • Rachel Carmichael at Oct 25, 2002 at 2:28 pm
    yes I know, which is why I did not suggest it to the original poster.

    Dennis was talking about *his* future projects, which is why I
    suggested it for him

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
    Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051
    http://www.fatcity.com
    may

    Author: Rachel Carmichael

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

  • Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com at Oct 25, 2002 at 4:19 pm
    Ooops!!! I missed where the thread changed from 8i to 9i

    Rachel
    Carmichael To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

    ahoo.com> cc:
    Sent by: Subject: RE: Suggestions solicited - Change Column
    root_at_fatcity.c Datatype from Number to
    om

    10/25/2002
    10:28 AM
    Please respond
    to ORACLE-L

    Author: Rachel Carmichael

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

    INET: Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com

  • DENNIS WILLIAMS at Oct 25, 2002 at 6:09 pm
    Rachel, Rick - And I really appreciated Rachel's suggestion because the new
    project will be on 9i, so it makes sense for me to change my methods while
    taking advantage of the latest Oracle features. Thanks to the goddess!

    Dennis Williams
    DBA, 40%OCP

    Lifetouch, Inc.
    dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com