Hi DBAs,

A co-worker and I disagree on impact of slightly different B&R scenarios
and I would like your thoughts.

Environment for both scenarios: Oracle 8.1.6, WinNt, Archivelog mode, not
using RMAN

Scenario 1:

I do standard Hot Backup using
BEGIN BACKUP
OCOPY ...
END BACKUP

If database crashes I perform media recovery then recover database.

Scenario 2:
Co-worker shuts down database and copy all files to backup directory.
Restarts database backup
If database crashes restore backup files then apply the

archive logs.

Co-worker says both scenarios are the same. I think scenario 1 results in
no loss where scenario 2 results in the loss
of data that was in the online redo logs.

Any thoughts on this?
Also what is the minimum system/object priviledges a user needs to perform
B&R. I would like to create a user with only those
privs necessary for B&R.

Thanks
Rick

INET: Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com

  • Rachel Carmichael at Oct 23, 2002 at 3:49 pm
    both scenarios potentially lose the online redo logs. actually, since
    you don't include the backup of the archived redo logs in either
    scenario, you can't do recovery without a resetlogs for both scenarios.

    In order not to lose the contents of the online logs, you have to
    archive them and back them up as well.

    Assuming you add in the archive of the online logs, and then backup the
    archived logs as well, both scenarios can accomplish complete recovery.

    What you lose in scenario 2 is the database availability during the
    database is shut down for the file copy.

    I hope you didn't bet on this.

    Rachel

    http://webhosting.yahoo.com/

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

  • Fink, Dan at Oct 23, 2002 at 4:14 pm
    Rick,

    I will assume that all logs are properly backed up.
    The only difference in the recoverability of the 2 scenarios is that

    an incomplete recovery cannot be done to a time while any tablespace in the
    database is in hot backup mode. So, there is a window of exposure in
    Scenario 1, that does not exist in 2. For this reason, it is recommended
    that each tablespace be placed in backup mode, the files copied, the
    tablespace taken out of backup mode and the process sleeps for 1 minute.
    Repeat with the next tablespace, etc.

    In terms of backup, Scenario 2 is simpler to implement. But it also
    requires downtime. If the backup process fails, the database is probably
    down. In Scenario 1, if the backup process fails, the database is still up
    (but may need some assistance to return to normal operations).

    To answer your question directly, your co-worker is correct (given
    the assumption stated above). If the database is taken down in a consistent
    mode, technically speaking you don't need the redo logs. However, it will
    complicate the recovery.

    Dan Fink

    Author: Fink, Dan
    INET: Dan.Fink_at_mdx.com

  • Dgoulet_at_vicr.com at Oct 23, 2002 at 4:23 pm
    Rick,

    I'm going to make the following assumptions about both scenarios, namely
    that both instances are in 'archive log mode' and that your handling the
    archived redo logs separately. That being said, both scenario's are viable for
    recovery up to the point of failure assuming that in the second scenario you do
    NOT copy the online redo logs and control files back onto the system. If you do
    then the database will startup normally as all of the files are in line with
    each other and no recovery is required. I copy the control files and online
    redo files whenever I get a chance to do a cold backup so that I can restore to
    a different server in the event of a WTC type of disaster.

    Dick Goulet

    Author: Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com
    Date: 10/23/2002 7:15 AM

    Hi DBAs,

[...]

    INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

  • Ray Stell at Oct 23, 2002 at 5:19 pm

    I will assume that all logs are properly backed up.
    The only difference in the recoverability of the 2 scenarios is that
    an incomplete recovery cannot be done to a time while any tablespace in the
    database is in hot backup mode. So, there is a window of exposure in
    Scenario 1, that does not exist in 2. For this reason, it is recommended
    that each tablespace be placed in backup mode, the files copied, the
    tablespace taken out of backup mode and the process sleeps for 1 minute.
    1 minute? What's that about?
    Repeat with the next tablespace, etc.
    Ray Stell stellr_at_vt.edu (540) 231-4109 KE4TJC 28^D

    Author: Ray Stell
    INET: stellr_at_cns.vt.edu

  • Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com at Oct 23, 2002 at 6:01 pm
    If the database crash causes media failure of your archive destination or
    your online log destination, then you can only recover the database upto
    the last archivelog availability, and you would need to open the database
    with resetlogs. This is true for both scenarios.

    Assuming no media failures, in the scenario 2, you can always recover upto
    the point of the last archive log, and then apply the online redo log file
    to perform a complete recovery. So you colleague is right. Both of them are
    practically the same, except in scenario 2, your database needs to be down
    for the backup.

    Regards
    Raj

    Rick_Cale_at_team
    health.com To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
    Sent by: cc:
    root_at_fatcity.c Subject: Opinions on B&R scenarios
    om

    October 23,
    2002 11:15 AM
    Please respond
    to ORACLE-L

[...]

    INET: Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com

  • Fink, Dan at Oct 23, 2002 at 6:11 pm
    It provides a window for an incomplete recovery during the time that the
    backup is being performed.
    For example
    02:00 1st tablespace begins backup
    04:00 last tablespace ends backup with no time gaps in between
    It is not possible to perform an incomplete recovery from 02:00 to 04:00.

    02:00 1st tablespace begins backup
    02:10 1st tablespace ends backup
    02:11 2nd tablespace begins backup
    02:21 2nd tablespace ends backup
    02:22 3rd tablespace begins backup
    02:32 3rd tablespace ends backup

    etc.

    You could then perform an incomplete recovery until 02:10:01 - 02:10:59 or
    02:21:01 - 02:21:59, etc.

    Granted, it is not a common need to perform an incomplete recovery during
    the time of a hot backup, but better safe than sorry.

    Dan Fink

    Author: Ray Stell
    INET: stellr_at_cns.vt.edu

    Author: Fink, Dan
    INET: Dan.Fink_at_mdx.com

  • Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com at Oct 23, 2002 at 6:39 pm
    Dont you mean complete recovery?

    "You could then perform an incomplete recovery until 02:10:01 - 02:10:59 or
    02:21:01 - 02:21:59, etc."

    "Fink, Dan"

    .com> cc:
    Sent by: Subject: RE: Opinions on B&R scenarios
    root_at_fatcity.
    com

    October 23,
    2002 02:11 PM
    Please
    respond to
    ORACLE-L

[...]

  • Fink, Dan at Oct 23, 2002 at 8:09 pm
    No, I mean an incomplete recovery. In this case it is a time-based
    incomplete recovery.

    Author: Fink, Dan
    INET: Dan.Fink_at_mdx.com

  • Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com at Oct 23, 2002 at 9:44 pm
    Dan,

    What you intend to say is that if the database crashed at say 2:15:30, you
    can do an incomplete recovery upto say 2:10:30, right? Why cant I do a
    complete recovery ? or what stops me from doing an incomplete recovery
    until 2:15:25?

    Raj

    "Fink, Dan"

    .com> cc:
    Sent by: Subject: RE: Opinions on B&R scenarios
    root_at_fatcity.
    com

    October 23,
    2002 04:09 PM
    Please
    respond to
    ORACLE-L

    No, I mean an incomplete recovery. In this case it is a time-based
    incomplete recovery.

    I will assume that all logs are properly backed up.
    The only difference in the recoverability of the 2 scenarios is that
    an incomplete recovery cannot be done to a time while any tablespace in the
    database is in hot backup mode. So, there is a window of exposure in
    Scenario 1, that does not exist in 2. For this reason, it is recommended
    that each tablespace be placed in backup mode, the files copied, the
    tablespace taken out of backup mode and the process sleeps for 1 minute.
    1 minute? What's that about?
    Repeat with the next tablespace, etc.
    INET: Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com

  • Fink, Dan at Oct 23, 2002 at 10:09 pm
    Under this scenario, you have 2 options
    1) Incomplete recovery to 2:10:30. Since there are no tablespaces in backup
    mode, this is possible.
    2) Do a complete recovery to the point of failure at 2:15:30. Of course, if
    the failure was manual (oops, I dropped a table in production), then this is
    not a valid recovery because it would return you to the state immediately
    following the failure.

    Also consider this scenario:
    Well after the backup has completed, it is determined that data has been
    logically corrupted and the database needs to be recovered to the point in
    time immediately prior to the corruption. If the corruption occurred at
    02:15:30, the only option is to perform an incomplete recovery to 02:10:59.

    I looked in my notes from the Oracle8 Internals Seminar and this is the
    explanation. Incomplete recovery is not allowed during a hot backup (while
    ts was in hot backup mode). Because the high scn is not recorded (in the
    datafile), the recovery logic does not know how to perform a recovery. The
    first time when incomplete recovery is possible is at the checkpoint
    immediately following the end of hot backup mode (which may be delayed in
    some releases).

    Does this make sense?

    Author: Fink, Dan
    INET: Dan.Fink_at_mdx.com

  • Rachel Carmichael at Oct 24, 2002 at 1:43 am
    total sense.

    next time I work without RMAN, I'll put in "breaks" in the backups.

    Author: Fink, Dan
    INET: Dan.Fink_at_mdx.com

    http://webhosting.yahoo.com/

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

  • Mandar A. Ghosalkar at Oct 24, 2002 at 2:28 am
    How would i specify this sleep command in a 7.3/ebu/nbu configuration?
    checking ebu docs..

    Author: Fink, Dan
    INET: Dan.Fink_at_mdx.com

    Author: Mandar A. Ghosalkar