Dear All,

We are planning to implement ORAC for our application, can anybody tell me
where to get good information on the system requirements for implementing
the same.

Regards
Prem
INET: prem_at_ibsplc.com

  • Jamadagni, Rajendra at Oct 23, 2002 at 12:43 pm
    IMHO, the main requirement is that you have to have a system that needs to
    be up 24x7 on a cluster and your ability to fork enough money to Oracle and
    your server vendor (to get two identical machines) and your networking
    vendor (for redundant network connections).

    Rest everything is easy ...

    Raj

    Rajendra Jamadagni MIS, ESPN Inc.

    Rajendra dot Jamadagni at ESPN dot com

    Any opinion expressed here is personal and doesn't reflect that of ESPN Inc.

    Author: Jamadagni, Rajendra
    INET: Rajendra.Jamadagni_at_espn.com

    text/plain attachment: ESPN_Disclaimer.txt
  • Tim Gorman at Oct 23, 2002 at 2:04 pm
    Aye to that, but you'll need at least two, possibly three, identical clusters, not just one. One cluster for production and an identical cluster for QA/Test, and possibly one for development (though that last is often regarded as unnecessary). Skimping on the QA/Test environment is the leading edge of failure...

    RAC itself requires additional DBA expertise as well as additional OS SysAdmin expertise for cluster hardware/OS, each of which costs more to obtain/maintain (either by hiring experienced/talented or training to build or both). Clustering is not a low-cost solution from any perspective...

    RAC is a solution for certain specific high-availability and high-scaleability requirements (not including "data-center failure", a.k.a. disaster-recovery), so it's a good idea to be certain that you are planning a solution that meets your own specific requirements before proceeding. RAC should not be a high-level management decision -- it is a specific technical solution to meet specific technical requirements, which themselves should have been derived from the requirements of the business. There are several other possible H/A solutions in Oracle9i (i.e. physical standby, logical standby, advanced replication, OS failover solutions, RAC, etc), each of which addresses the same H/A problems in different ways with differing levels of complexity and cost.

    Author: Tim Gorman
    INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com

  • Jamadagni, Rajendra at Oct 23, 2002 at 2:49 pm
    You are right Tim (now you may ask "what's new in that?")

    We have a production cluster, development cluster and (possible a standby
    cluster) all identical.

    Author: Jamadagni, Rajendra
    INET: Rajendra.Jamadagni_at_espn.com

    text/plain attachment: ESPN_Disclaimer.txt
  • DENNIS WILLIAMS at Oct 23, 2002 at 4:23 pm
    Tim - Gee, during the original presentation I attended, RAC was presented as
    a cost-saving feature. Something about being able to use a lot of cheap
    Linux servers. This stuck me as a little odd at the time. Just now, I looked
    at the white papers that Oracle posts on the subject, and I didn't see the
    cost-saving aspect mentioned. Or maybe Oracle is still getting the Linux
    ball rolling.

    Dennis Williams
    DBA, 40%OCP

    Lifetouch, Inc.
    dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  • Loughmiller, Greg at Oct 23, 2002 at 4:30 pm
    We are performing a rather detailed POC of RAC within a SUN environment...
    Be glad to share some "details" once we complete this to those
    interested.... I'm hoping for a detailed document with detailed use
    cases... But that does assume those who are in the separate areas will
    accomplish that as "desired"...

    thanks
    greg

    Author: Loughmiller, Greg
    INET: Greg.Loughmiller_at_cingular.com

  • Tim Gorman at Oct 23, 2002 at 11:19 pm
    A couple of anecdotes to consider:
    a.. Some folks from the "Oak Table" forum (www.oaktable.net) recently (last July) constructed a 10-node cluster of Linux laptops right on the conference floor at Oracle Open World in Copenhagen, Denmark. Information is available at http://investor.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-20212349-0.html?tag=ats. So it can definitely be done on the cheap!
    b.. Some years ago (1994-96), I worked extensively on Oracle7 Parallel Server on IBM RS6000 SP environments. One of IBM's originally-stated intents with the RS6000 SP product line was to create "mainframe-class machines" using "low-cost, off-the-shelf RS6000 components". After a couple years of hard knocks and severely disappointed, deeply frustrated customers, IBM admitted (to their most irate customers) that the strategy of using off-the-shelf, less-robust components with the goal of high-availability does not work. The components themselves have to be "hardened" additionally, hardware and software, adding to the cost and slowing the release cycle.
    So, it can definitely be done. It can even be done cheap. But it's going to cost, later if not sooner...

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
    Author: Tim Gorman
    INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com

  • Prem_at_ibsplc.com at Oct 24, 2002 at 5:23 am
    Hi,
    Could you please give me the links to these white papers...?

    DENNIS WILLIAMS
    Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
    10/23/02 09:53 PM
    Please respond to ORACLE-L

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

    INET: prem_at_ibsplc.com

  • Prem_at_ibsplc.com at Oct 24, 2002 at 6:48 am
    Is it possible to download the ORAC software from some site, if so where
    from..?
    INET: prem_at_ibsplc.com

  • Ray Stell at Oct 24, 2002 at 1:34 pm