My partner sent me a question about services on windows.

when doing a cold backup is it necessary to shutdown the windows services?, I have no idea as I've not had the nightmare of dealing with oracle on windoze.

joe

Author: JOE TESTA
INET: JTESTA_at_longaberger.com

  • Paquette stephane at Oct 21, 2002 at 1:48 pm
    I'm sure at 99% that you must stop the services as
    I've not had the nightmare of dealing with oracle on
    windoze in the last 3 years.

    JOE TESTA a écrit : > My
    partner sent me a question about services on
    windows.

    when doing a cold backup is it necessary to shutdown
    the windows services?, I have no idea as I've not
    had the nightmare of dealing with oracle on windoze.

    joe
    Stéphane Paquette
    DBA Oracle, consultant entrepôt de données
    Oracle DBA, datawarehouse consultant
    stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com

    Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
    magasinage.yahoo.ca

    Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?paquette=20stephane?=
    INET: stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com

  • Farnsworth, Dave at Oct 21, 2002 at 1:54 pm
    Joe,

    No, you do not have to stop the actual windoze service. Just do a SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE or what database shutdown you like and back it up while leaving the windoze service running.

    Dave

    Author: Farnsworth, Dave
    INET: DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com

  • Mercadante, Thomas F at Oct 21, 2002 at 1:59 pm
    Nope.

    As long as your partner shut the database down, the NT services just don't
    matter.

    Tom Mercadante
    Oracle Certified Professional

    Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
    INET: NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us

  • Inka Bezdziecka at Oct 21, 2002 at 2:08 pm
    [inka] No, you don't. Just shutdown a database. Actually I don't stop listeners or web broker or anything else which belongs to oracle. If I do, the server has to be re-started. Some oracle processes do not release memory.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of oracle on windows.

    Author: Inka Bezdziecka
    INET: IBezdziecka_at_cupe.ca

  • Mercadante, Thomas F at Oct 21, 2002 at 2:08 pm
    Stephane,

    If you have not worked on Windows for the past 3 years, the why are you even
    commenting on this issue?

    The correct answer is you do not have to stop the services.

    If you don't know the answer, then why guess incorrectly?

    Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?paquette=20stephane?=
    INET: stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com

    Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
    INET: NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us

  • Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com at Oct 21, 2002 at 2:14 pm
    Joe,

    No it is not necessary.

    Rick

    "JOE TESTA"

    erger.com> cc:
    Sent by: Subject: services on windows?????
    root_at_fatcity.c
    om

    10/21/2002
    09:28 AM
    Please respond
    to ORACLE-L

    My partner sent me a question about services on windows.

    when doing a cold backup is it necessary to shutdown the windows services?,
    I have no idea as I've not had the nightmare of dealing with oracle on
    windoze.

    joe

    INET: Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com

  • Igor Neyman at Oct 21, 2002 at 2:19 pm
    Joe,

    You can stop the services, which should shutdown the database (for cold backup).

    But, that's not the only option. You can leave services running, and just shutdown the database (using svrmgrl, or sqlplus), and then do the cold backup.

    Igor Neyman, OCP DBA
    ineyman_at_perceptron.com

    Author: Igor Neyman
    INET: ineyman_at_perceptron.com

  • Paquette stephane at Oct 21, 2002 at 2:43 pm
    It seems I was completely wrong, is it the same as for
    Oracle 8 and 8i?
    Last time I've worked with Windows it was on Oracle 8
    and I thought that you had to stop the services
    because Windows was not letting you copy the database
    files.

    Igor Neyman a écrit : >
    Joe,
    You can stop the services, which should shutdown the
    database (for cold backup).

    But, that's not the only option. You can leave
    services running, and just shutdown the database
    (using svrmgrl, or sqlplus), and then do the cold
    backup.

    Igor Neyman, OCP DBA
    ineyman_at_perceptron.com

    My partner sent me a question about services on
    windows.

    when doing a cold backup is it necessary to
    shutdown the windows services?, I have no idea as
    I've not had the nightmare of dealing with oracle on
    windoze.

    joe
    Stéphane Paquette
    DBA Oracle et DB2, consultant entrepôt de données
    Oracle and DB2 DBA, datawarehouse consultant

    Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?paquette=20stephane?=
    INET: stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com

  • Yechiel Adar at Oct 21, 2002 at 3:08 pm
    If you stop the service you perform shutdown abort which is not recommended for cold backup.

    Yechiel Adar
    Mehish

    Author: Yechiel Adar
    INET: adar76_at_inter.net.il

  • Farnsworth, Dave at Oct 21, 2002 at 3:18 pm
    I use Oracle 7.3.4, 8.0.5 and 8.1.7 on windoze and none of them require that the windoze service to be stopped. You can but it is not necessary.

    Dave

    Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?paquette=20stephane?=
    INET: stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com

    Author: Farnsworth, Dave
    INET: DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com

  • James Damiano at Oct 21, 2002 at 3:24 pm
    Dear List,

    I had a situation on a lone Windows/NT system a couple of years ago, where I
    had installed 8i and was testing a number of facilities prior to going
    online with an application. Since I wasn't familiar with NT, I played
    around a bit, the final step of which was to test recovery with a cold
    backup. So I did a "shutdown immediate" and took a cold backup of the
    database (while having left the Oracle services up). Frankly I didn't
    **purposely** leave the services up because it didn't enter my mind that I
    had to do so or not.

    All I know is that when I blew away the existing database control, data, and
    log files, and restored them with the cold backup for a test of recovery,
    the database would not start back up. (I didn't note what the specific
    error messages were because I was in a big hurry at the time and could't
    mess around with it.) I DO know that I was stunned at this because on UNIX
    and Netware, I never had such a thing occur.

    So, I rebuilt the database from scratch, reloaded, and then tried the
    recovery scenario again. This time I did the "shutdown immediate" and then
    shut down the Windows Oracle service for the database before doing the cold
    backup, took the backup, blew away the existing database, restored the cold
    backup database files, and restarted the database successfully without
    incident.

    Having been in a hurry, maybe originally I did something illogical or
    idiotic which was the reason for my obtaining the results I did (when in
    reality it had nothing to do with Window services, I don't know.)

    I always meant to go back and revisit that whole issue but haven't had the
    time or inclination I guess. Given what is being said in this discussion, I
    would like to do so in a methodical manner to see if I can get down to the
    fact of the matter.

    Jim Damiano

    Author: James Damiano
    INET: jadam_at_nhes.state.nh.us

  • Boivin, Patrice J at Oct 21, 2002 at 3:24 pm
    Not sure, but here we do net stop
    and net start .

    Regards,
    Patrice Boivin
    Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

    Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des systèmes
    Technology Services | Services technologiques
    Informatics Branch | Direction de l'informatique
    Maritimes Region, DFO | Région des Maritimes, MPO

    E-Mail: boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

    Author: Boivin, Patrice J
    INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

  • Igor Neyman at Oct 21, 2002 at 3:39 pm
    No,
    Even under Oracle8 it's enough to shutdown the database to do cold backup.
    Services themselves, when the database is shutdown, do not hold on to the
    database files.

    Igor Neyman, OCP DBA
    ineyman_at_perceptron.com

    Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?paquette=20stephane?=
    INET: stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com

    Author: Igor Neyman
    INET: ineyman_at_perceptron.com

  • Igor Neyman at Oct 21, 2002 at 3:49 pm
    Not necessarily, shutdown mode (when you stop services) depends on registry setting:

    ORA__SHUTDOWNTYPE

    I - for immediate
    a - for abort

    Igor Neyman, OCP DBA
    ineyman_at_perceptron.com

    Author: Igor Neyman
    INET: ineyman_at_perceptron.com

  • Reginald.W.Bailey_at_jpmorgan.com at Oct 21, 2002 at 4:38 pm
    James and list:

    You can backup the database without stopping the services. Just shut it
    down. If you are going to attempt a restore and blow away the control
    files, etc., then
    by all means stop the services first. The services would need the control
    files to be present if it is to be restarted or the registry would have to
    be changed.
    A simple rule would be to stop the services if a restore needed to be done
    or if the configuration and control files were going to be wiped.
    Otherwise leave the services up.

    Now can we move on? I think this issue has been debated enough.

    RWB

    "James Damiano" @fatcity.com on 10/21/2002 10:24:46
    AM

    Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

    Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com

    To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
    cc:

    Author: James Damiano
    INET: jadam_at_nhes.state.nh.us

    INET: Reginald.W.Bailey_at_jpmorgan.com

  • Jared.Still_at_radisys.com at Oct 21, 2002 at 6:08 pm
    Not exactly.

    Someone else has already pointed out that registry entries can
    be created to gracefully shutdown the database: Doc ID 136214.1

    If these are not setup properly, then stopping the services without
    first shutting down the database is actually harsher than a shutdown
    abort.

    This is also detailed somewhere on MetaLink, but I don't have the doc #.

    Jared

    "Yechiel Adar"
    Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
    10/21/2002 08:08 AM
    Please respond to ORACLE-L

    If you stop the service you perform shutdown abort which is not
    recommended for cold backup.

    Yechiel Adar
    Mehish

    My partner sent me a question about services on windows.

    when doing a cold backup is it necessary to shutdown the windows
    services?, I have no idea as I've not had the nightmare of dealing with
    oracle on windoze.

    joe

    INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com