Robin
Author: Robin Li
INET: rli_at_nyp.org

  • DENNIS WILLIAMS at Oct 14, 2002 at 2:58 pm
    Robin

    Your management sounds like some people I dealt with that assumed they
    would just "flip the replication switch". How much of the 30-gig. do they
    plan to replicate? What replication interval? What tools do they plan to
    use? What is the replication direction - master-slave, peer-peer? How many
    sites? Ask for a copy of their replication policies. How will replication
    problems be detected? How will they be rectified?

    For reading, I would recommend what are the only 2 books I could locate
    (does that give you a hint about the popularity of replication?)
    Data Replication, Marie Buretta (lots of information about why policies
    are vital and how to write them).
    Oracle Distributed Systems, Charles Dye.
    The key to replication success (I can only speak from book knowledge) is in
    the people and the policies that coordinate their efforts and ensure nothing
    is overlooked, not in the technology.

    Dennis Williams
    DBA

    Lifetouch, Inc.