Please forgive the cross postings, but I am hoping that someone in all of
the sets of eyes that see this might have an idea I haven't thought of.
***
Facts

aix 4.3.3
oracle 9.0.1.3
new instance, up for 2 weeks
locally managed tablespaces
nothing with autoextend on
file system at 7:01 am was at 98%
12:00 altered index tablespaces to nologging (but this did not change the
file sizes... checked)
12:30 users (it is not a transactional instance... it is strictly reporting)
started getting Ora-01114 errors corresponding (roughly) to when the file
system hit 100%
The only thing in the file system are database files
Nothing "could" have changed at OS level in that time..........to my
knowledge
ITAR open, not much progress (re... "that can't happen")

DID happen... now trying desperately to find out WHY it happened. The
'problem' effected our biggest client. I need to find out what happened so
it doesn't happen again...

File system now at 92%, but will need to add dasd in the near future for
growth

one interesting finding found in the digging
9i created files of 2000m are 2097168384 k at os level
8i created and upgraded to 9i files of 2000m are 2097156096 at os level...

Anybody have any ideas how something that can't happen, did? Anyone ever
seen this kind of weirdness before?

April Wells
Oracle DBA
Keep yourself well oiled with life, laughter, new ideas and action.
Otherwise you will rust out. _Anonymous

begin 666 InterScan_Disclaimer.txt

M5&AE(&EN9F]R;6%T:6]N(&-O;G1A:6YE9"!I;B!T:&ES(&4M;6%I;"!I3L@:70@;6%Y(&%L
M:7,@:&5R96)Y(&=I=F5N('1H870_at_86YY(&1I2!A;GEO;F4@;W1H97(@=&AA
M;B!T:&4@:6YT96YD960@
M;F,N(&AA2!R96%S;VYA8FQE('!R96-A=71I;VX@=&\@

M96YS=7)E('1H870_at_86YY(&%T=&%C:&UE;G0@=&\@=&AI
M;V9T=V%R92!V:7)U6]U(&-Ahttp://www.orafaq.com
Author: April Wells
INET: awells_at_csedge.com

  • Vergara, Michael (TEM) at Oct 10, 2002 at 4:28 pm
    April:

    I'm just guessing here, but is it a journaling file system?
    Could the journal be eating up your available space?

    HTH,

    Mike

    Author: Vergara, Michael (TEM)
    INET: mvergara_at_guidant.com

  • Connor McDonald at Oct 10, 2002 at 5:14 pm
    Are you using tempfiles ?

    Just a hypothesis: Tempfiles are created sparse, so
    you ask for 100M, but in reality only 1M might be
    allocated. As people sort, you actually start needing
    the 100M and kapow!

    hth
    connor

    April Wells wrote: > Please
    **************************************
[...]

    M=')I8W1L>2!C;VYF:61E;G1I86P_at_86YD(&9O
    M(&]F('1H92!A9&1R97-S964@;VYL>3L@:70@;6%Y(&%L
    M>2!P
    M:7,@:&5R96)Y(&=I=F5N('1H870_at_86YY(&1I
    M;W!Y:6YG(&]F('1H92!I;F9O2!A;GEO;F4@;W1H97(@=&AA

    M;B!T:&4@:6YT96YD960@ M>2!B92!I;&QE9V%L+B
    @268@>6]U(&AA=F4@
    M86=E(&EN(&5R
    M871E;'D_at_8GD@7-T96US+"!)

    M;F,N(&AA2!R96%S;VYA8FQE('!R96-A=71I;VX@=&\@

    M96YS=7)E('1H870_at_86YY(&%T=&%C:&UE;G0@=&\@=&AI
    M(&)E96X@
    M:71Y(&9O
    M;V9T=V%R92!V:7)U6]U(&-A
    M(&]W;B!V:7)U +;G0N#0H-"@T*#0H
    end

    --
    Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
    http://www.orafaq.com
    Author: April Wells
    INET: awells_at_csedge.com

    Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051
    http://www.fatcity.com
    San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web
    hosting services
    E-Mail message
    'ListGuru') and in
    ORACLE-L
    from). You may
    also send the HELP command for other information
    (like subscribing).
    Connor McDonald
    http://www.oracledba.co.uk
    http://www.oaktable.net

    "Remember amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic"

    Do You Yahoo!?
    http://uk.my.yahoo.com

    Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=
    INET: hamcdc_at_yahoo.co.uk

  • Fink, Dan at Oct 10, 2002 at 5:23 pm
    Which files were being reported in the ORA-01114s? Could you provide more
    info as to the exact architecture of the db files and file system. For
    example, is it a single file system and ALL database files (including redo
    logs/archived logs/temp files/...) are stored on it. Are the control
    files/dump files also stored there?

    Author: April Wells
    INET: awells_at_csedge.com

    Author: Fink, Dan
    INET: Dan.Fink_at_mdx.com

  • April Wells at Oct 10, 2002 at 5:33 pm
    Is journaling, but journal isn't in that file system, just on the raw part
    of the volume group

    Author: Vergara, Michael (TEM)

    Author: April Wells
    INET: awells_at_csedge.com

  • Tim Gorman at Oct 10, 2002 at 5:43 pm
    Probably due to tempfiles in your TEMPORARY tablespace...

    Tempfiles are "sparsely populated files" (not certain if that is the correct
    term). That is, if you display them with the command "ls -l", you'll see
    them apparently consuming the full amount of space you specified when you
    created them. However, if you get the chance, try to perform a "df -k"
    against the file-system in question before and after you ADD TEMPFILE and
    you'll see that the space consumed within the file-system doesn't change.
    Then, as sorting or global-temporary-table activity hits the TEMP
    tablespace, you'll see changes in "df -k"...

    In essence, there is a difference between the output displayed by "ls -l"
    and "df -k", and the "df" command is correct. I'm not sure how the "du"
    command reacts to all this...

    Not really sure how to explain it, but I'm pretty that this is what you are
    experiencing. Rather annoying, isn't it?

    Author: April Wells
    INET: awells_at_csedge.com

    Author: Tim Gorman
    INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com

  • Deshpande, Kirti at Oct 10, 2002 at 5:59 pm
    Anything reported in the system logs?
    Can you get the SAs to run the 'errpt' report to make sure there were no
    disk related problems.

    Do the permissions on the mount point directory keep others away?

    Once I had a smart developer(and a newbie DBA), who pointed his vi
    'directory' to one of the data files', since it had more empty space and was
    set to 777 !!

    Kirti

    Author: April Wells
    INET: awells_at_csedge.com

    Author: Deshpande, Kirti
    INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com

  • DENNIS WILLIAMS at Oct 10, 2002 at 6:18 pm
    April - This is what I hear you saying:

    The database was set up on a file system, and there was room to spare.
    The file system ran out of space.
    Don't know what occurred to take up space, there should have been
    nothing.
    The situation is fixed now. HOW??
    If the above is true, I think your best bet may be to attempt to reproduce
    the problem. But first, carefully measure everything, using something like
    Unix's "du -k" command. I think that is the only way you will ever pin it
    down. If you are essentially back to operating again, then get a snapshot
    now.
    One thought that just occurred to me, is to check the timestamps. If
    something changed in size, the timestamp may have changed. I don't believe
    the Oracle datafiles are updated in a read-only situation. The control file
    probably gets written to frequently.

    Author: Vergara, Michael (TEM)

    Author: April Wells
    INET: awells_at_csedge.com

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  • April Wells at Oct 10, 2002 at 7:50 pm
    At the OS level, the files are 4000 meg. If they are created sparse, would
    it show at the OS level?

[...]

    MM 5&AE(&EN9F]R;6%T:6]N
    M(&-O;G1A:6YE9"!I;B!T:&ES(&4M;6%I;"!I3L@:70@;6%Y(&%L2!P2!A;GEO;F4@;W1H97(@=&AA
    MM;B!T:&4@:6YT96YD960@
    M2!B92!I;&QE9V%L+B
    MM @268@>6]U(&AA=F4@7-T96US+"!)M
    M;F,N(&AA2!R96%S;VYA8FQE('!R96-A=71I;VX@=&\@
    MM 96YS=7)E('1H870_at_86YY
    M(&%T=&%C:&UE;G0@=&\@=&AI6]U(&-A(8] $T !["4U)U4E1R0 3A "3K0
    M %"!0#14TP1Q0(KY.3 "3_at_S%1!0 0#"3A0 SSE 20+\
    MH8[)3;+0 "#T@%"!0#@310#Q@#023"3
    MAP#"4U &3U0%P3E % !DCS23@ .3U0#06;0 3
    M$SP$Q3A %"!0*);, SS303A !CT@#U"!4@"3@"#"2Q0$U0DPTB0B3AR3@+0
    M '777;0 /../
    M2 M#D/.!,$M !11!H\]==
    M2!A;'-O(&)E(&QE9V%L;'D@<')I=FEL
    M96=E9"!A;F0O;W(@(&%N>2!D:7-C;&]S=7)E+"!U6EN9R!O
    M9B!T:&4@:6YF;W)M871I;VX_at_8GD@86YY;VYE(&]T:&5R('1H86X@=&AE(&EN

    M=&5N9&5D(')E8VEP:65N="!I2!T:&4@
    M:&%T(&%N>2!A='1A8VAM96YT('1O('1H:7,@92UM86EL(&AA2!F;W(@
    M86YY(&1A;6%G92!S=7-T86EN960_at_87,@82!R97-U;'0@;V8@
    M=FER=7-E2!O=70@>6]U2!A='1A8VAM96YT+@T*#0H-
    %"@T*#0H
    end

    Author: April Wells
    INET: awells_at_csedge.com

  • April Wells at Oct 10, 2002 at 7:50 pm
    Oh good... isn't that special...

    du -k says they are 3401728 k... not 'quite' 4000 meg... that makes sense.

    anywhere I can look this up to do more research (ie... is there a friendly
    manual)?

    Author: April Wells
    INET: awells_at_csedge.com

    Author: Tim Gorman
    INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com

    begin 666 InterScan_Disclaimer.txt
    M5&AE(&EN9F]R;6%T:6]N(&-O;G1A:6YE9"!I;B!T:&ES(&4M;6%I;"!I3L@:70@;6%Y(&%L2!P2!A;GEO;F4@;W1H97(@=&AA
    M96YS=7)E('1H870_at_86YY(&%T=&%C:&UE;G0@=&\@=&AI6]U(&-Ahttp://www.orafaq.com
    Author: April Wells
    INET: awells_at_csedge.com

  • April Wells at Oct 10, 2002 at 8:28 pm
    That is it EXACTLY... thank you.. it was created sparsely, du -ak gives what
    df -k believes, but ls -al gives what Oracle thinks it is... Now if I can
    just find the manual to research the logic behind why.

    Okay... Oracle's answer was it can't happen, therefore it didn't happen and
    it therefore won't happen again.

    Thank you... so much.

    Author: April Wells
    INET: awells_at_csedge.com

  • Alexander.Feinstein_at_mitchell1.com at Oct 11, 2002 at 12:58 am
    April,

    2000M = 2097152000
    2097168384 - 2097152000 = 16384 = 16K
    2097156096 - 2097152000 = 4096 = 4K

    OS size equal to ORACLE size plus 1 FS block.
    Check FS blocksize.

    Alex.

    one interesting finding found in the digging
    9i created files of 2000m are 2097168384 k at os level
    8i created and upgraded to 9i files of 2000m are 2097156096 at os level...

    INET: Alexander.Feinstein_at_mitchell1.com