Has anybody tried installing it? Any experiences/remarks/problems/rantings?
Any RH 8.0 comments in general?

Author: Gogala, Mladen
INET: MGogala_at_oxhp.com

  • Joe Testa at Oct 9, 2002 at 1:28 am
    Mladen, i've got a presentation in st louis on thu, probably this
    weekend, i'll give it a whirl and let you know.

    Joe

    Author: Joe Testa
    INET: jtesta_at_dmc-it.com

  • Orr, Steve at Oct 9, 2002 at 1:58 am
    Oracle only supports RH 7.1, SLES-7, RH Advanced Server 2.1. Right?

    I understand Oracle is having problems supporting RH 7.1 but they won't
    admit it to the general public. So even "official" RH 7.1 support could be
    risky.;-) Any rumors?

    On another note, I've heard that RH Advanced Server 2.1 does not support
    direct I/O but SLES-7 does. Can anyone corroborate this? Any rumors?

    I guess SLES-8/United Linix (UL) will be available in November and the
    assumption is that it will have Oracle's blessing. Any rumors?

    Feeling like the Katt...
    Steve Orr

    Author: Joe Testa
    INET: jtesta_at_dmc-it.com

    Author: Orr, Steve
    INET: sorr_at_rightnow.com

  • Joe Testa at Oct 9, 2002 at 2:43 am
    true officially, so i live on the bleeding edge when it comes to oracle :)

    joe

    Author: Joe Testa
    INET: jtesta_at_dmc-it.com

  • Jesse, Rich at Oct 9, 2002 at 2:48 pm
    That's interesting since Oracle Corp is now offering to be front-line and
    back-line support for the Linux OS itself, in addition to the DB.

    Our "local" sales guy (in another country!) didn't mention what distros or
    versions, though...

    Rich

    Rich Jesse System/Database Administrator
    Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

    Author: Jesse, Rich
    INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

  • Bruce at Oct 9, 2002 at 3:43 pm
    Oracle seems to change their "official" mind from time to time, but the reality is that RedHat 7.1 and 7.3 are the best versions to run with Oracle. I've had absolutely no problems with either version of the OS, and the installation and setup are well documented (both by Oracle and third-party sites).

    AS2 appears to have been targetted to Oracle, and installs super clean (the least amount of effort yet required). Good deal if you're looking for the top of the line configuration.

    I've tried installing 8.1.7 (my usual testbed) on RedHat 8.0 this past weekend and encountered some problems. It doesn't like Apache 2.0 in the mix, even though it doesn't use it. It has some problems getting the IP address, but I can fix that afterwards. The tough issues are which JDK (seems like 1.1.8 is the answer) and which compat- libs. I'm plowing through the compat- libs issue right now. Hopefully it will be fully installed and I can give some feedback as to how it runs in a week or so.

    thanks,
    bruce

    Author: Bruce
    INET: bruceb_at_fatcity.com

  • Ray Stell at Oct 9, 2002 at 4:19 pm
    I'm going to try mandrake 9.0, which came out this week, with some 8i and 9i
    this week. I'll post a followup. Mandrake is basically rh with a
    better installer, actually one of the best installers I've seen ever!
    No ora support, just for fun.

    Author: Bruce
    INET: bruceb_at_fatcity.com

    Ray Stell stellr_at_vt.edu (540) 231-4109 KE4TJC 28^D
    Author: Ray Stell
    INET: stellr_at_cns.vt.edu

  • Orr, Steve at Oct 9, 2002 at 4:39 pm
    the reality is that RedHat 7.1 and 7.3 are the best
    Is that a qualified opinion? ...based on your extensive experience and
    thorough testing with SuSE? :-) Others would debate with you... there's
    been a bit of discussion on this on the suse-oracle list:
    http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-oracle/2002-Oct/

    The SuSE 8/United Linux release coming out in November sounds very good. But
    who has time for exhaustive research? My gut feel is that both SuSE SLES-8
    and RH Adv Server 2.1 will be very good. Competition AND open-source... wow,
    life is wonderful. And since Oracle is saving us so much money with its
    Linux support they can charge us more for licenses.;-)

    Author: Bruce
    INET: bruceb_at_fatcity.com
    Author: Orr, Steve
    INET: sorr_at_rightnow.com

  • Gogala, Mladen at Oct 9, 2002 at 6:53 pm
    May I subscribe to the results of your undertaking?
    My home email is mailto:mgogala_at_adelphia.net
    May the force be with you.

    Author: Bruce
    INET: bruceb_at_fatcity.com

    San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web
    hosting services

    Ray Stell stellr_at_vt.edu (540) 231-4109 KE4TJC 28^D
    Author: Ray Stell
    INET: stellr_at_cns.vt.edu

    Author: Gogala, Mladen
    INET: MGogala_at_oxhp.com