http://www.codenotes.com/do/downloads/downloadsNETbook

Author: Grabowy, Chris
INET: cgrabowy_at_fcg.com

  • Jared.Still_at_radisys.com at Oct 11, 2002 at 12:53 am
    I believe the Book Safari is changing. It is supposed
    to be more flexible now.

    http://www.oreilly.com/news/new_safari_0902.html

    Jared

    "Grabowy, Chris"
    Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
    10/08/2002 01:04 PM
    Please respond to ORACLE-L

    To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
    cc:
    Subject: CodeNotes for Oracle9i...

    So every few months my Lookout reminder pops up to remind me to check out
    what new Oracle books have been released. I stumbled upon a new book
    called CodeNotes for Oracle9i on Amazon.com, but the interesting part is
    that it is available in eBook format. Here's the (probably broken)
    link...

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006ISCN/qid=1034101493/sr=1-25/ref=sr_1_25/104-5919725-7522346?v=glance

    The eBook version is $9.95 and the shipping is free (big grin), while the
    paperback is $13.97 plus shipping. Are you comfortable reading an eBook?
    You decide.

    At any rate, I will probably break down and buy the eBook. Not so much
    because the book is great (or not) but because I hope to send a message to
    publishers to publish more books in the eBook format, which is also why I
    posted this message.

    I know that O'Reilly has the Safari Bookshelf website, but I found it to
    be restrictive and pricey.

    BTW, if for some reason you are or will be using .Net, the CodeNotes eBook
    version is free...

    http://www.codenotes.com/do/downloads/downloadsNETbook

    Author: Grabowy, Chris
    INET: cgrabowy_at_fcg.com

    INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

  • DENNIS WILLIAMS at Oct 11, 2002 at 3:44 pm
    I have an odd question about these on-line books. Can I copy-and-paste the
    text?

    Like many of you, I seem to end up with long commutes (why are the best
    jobs never in your neighborhood?). I find listening to books on CD to be a
    better use of time than reading bumper stickers. Nobody ever seems to issue
    Oracle books on audio. So I got a text-to-voice program, and it works pretty
    good to create an audio version of a book. But many of these eBooks
    zealously protect their text and prevent you from doing copy-and-paste on
    the text. Fortunately Oracle makes their books readily available. Any ideas
    are welcome. And my apologies to the authors on the list that are going "he
    wants to do WHAT with my book!!".
    Dennis Williams
    DBA

    Lifetouch, Inc.
    dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

    Author: Grabowy, Chris
    INET: cgrabowy_at_fcg.com

    INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  • Joe Testa at Oct 12, 2002 at 11:48 pm
    I would think the authors should read and publish the books in .mp3
    format, you can get like 10 hours worth on one cd.

    Rachel how about you start,

    bwahahahahahahaha

    joe

    Author: Joe Testa
    INET: jtesta_at_dmc-it.com

  • Jared Still at Oct 13, 2002 at 4:43 pm
    Hey, if you'll buy it, I'll record it.

    Should alleviate the parental bed time story
    for the kiddies. A little subliminal DBA learning
    couldn't hurt either.

    could it?

    Jared

    Author: Jared Still
    INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

  • Rachel Carmichael at Oct 14, 2002 at 9:59 pm
    It's a little difficult to see how code samples and illustrations
    (which I find invaluable) could be translated to audio....

    It's technically copyright infringement (I believe) to translate the
    books. I don't own the copyright, so I'm not about to call out the
    lawyers. I am supposed to contact my publisher for permission (never
    been refused, as it's publicity) when I want to use part of a chapter
    for an article or presentation.

    Besides, I have problems concentrating when I listen to books on tape,
    so I'm not the best person to advocate this!

    Author: Joe Testa
    INET: jtesta_at_dmc-it.com

    http://faith.yahoo.com

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

  • Connor McDonald at Oct 15, 2002 at 10:03 am
    There's always some idiot who wants to rain on the
    parade, so it may as well be me. I can't remember the
    specifics but a recent test in London showed that
    people on (hands-free) phones in their cars were 'x'%
    more likely to crash ('x' was somewhere like 50%!),
    the test being designed to show that its not the phone
    in your hand, its the fact that you're
    talking/listening that ends up killing you...

    I can't begin to imagine the traffic carnage when the
    CD "DBA101: The sensual sultry sounds of Carmichael"
    hits the charts!

    Does Rachel really want that kind of responsbility :-)

    Cheers
    Connor

    --
    Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
    http://www.orafaq.com
    Author: Joe Testa
    INET: jtesta_at_dmc-it.com

    Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051
    http://www.fatcity.com
    San Diego, California -- Mailing list and
    web hosting services

    E-Mail message
    'ListGuru') and in
    (or the name of mailing list you want to be
    removed from). You may
    also send the HELP command for other information
    (like subscribing).

    http://faith.yahoo.com
    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

    Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051
    http://www.fatcity.com
    San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web
    hosting services
    E-Mail message
    'ListGuru') and in
    ORACLE-L
    from). You may
    also send the HELP command for other information
    (like subscribing).
    Connor McDonald
    http://www.oracledba.co.uk
    http://www.oaktable.net

    "Remember amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic"

    Do You Yahoo!?
    http://uk.my.yahoo.com

    Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=
    INET: hamcdc_at_yahoo.co.uk

  • Yechiel Adar at Oct 15, 2002 at 1:48 pm
    The studies I remember on the subject say that talking while driving put you
    in the same risk factor as drunk driving .

    Yechiel Adar
    Mehish

    Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=
    INET: hamcdc_at_yahoo.co.uk

    Author: Yechiel Adar
    INET: adar76_at_inter.net.il

  • Jesse, Rich at Oct 15, 2002 at 2:34 pm
    Thank Goodness. Now I can go back to that 4-pak of Guinness on my 25-mile
    drive to work. Whew! THAT'll make the day go easier.

    Rich

    Rich Jesse System/Database Administrator
    Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

    http://society.servebeer.com

    Disclaimer: As President of The Beer Ale Lager Lovers Society, I'd like to
    remind everyone that...oh, you know the schpeel -- don't be stupid.
    Author: Jesse, Rich
    INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

  • Scott.Shafer_at_dcpds.cpms.osd.mil at Oct 15, 2002 at 5:03 pm
    Yeah, hearing the Goddess describe "massaging the 'data'" in sultry detail
    would surely be a distraction...

    Scott Shafer
    San Antonio, TX
    210.581.6217
    There's always some idiot who wants to rain on the
    parade, so it may as well be me. I can't remember the
    specifics but a recent test in London showed that
    people on (hands-free) phones in their cars were 'x'%
    more likely to crash ('x' was somewhere like 50%!),
    the test being designed to show that its not the phone
    in your hand, its the fact that you're
    talking/listening that ends up killing you...

    I can't begin to imagine the traffic carnage when the
    CD "DBA101: The sensual sultry sounds of Carmichael"
    hits the charts!

    Does Rachel really want that kind of responsbility :-)

    Cheers
    Connor
    INET: Scott.Shafer_at_dcpds.cpms.osd.mil

  • Rachel Carmichael at Oct 15, 2002 at 5:03 pm
    God no! I'd better let my (male) co-author do the audiotaping :)

    I've never understood why talking on a hands-free phone is less
    distracting than talking on a phone you have to hold

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

  • Bob Metelsky at Oct 21, 2002 at 9:43 pm

    I have an odd question about these on-line books. Can I
    copy-and-paste the text?
    Like many of you, I seem to end up with long commutes (why
    are the best jobs never in your neighborhood?). I find
    listening to books on CD to be a better use of time than
    reading bumper stickers. Nobody ever seems to issue Oracle
    books on audio. So I got a text-to-voice program, and it
    works pretty good to create an audio version of a book. But
    many of these eBooks zealously protect their text and prevent
    you from doing copy-and-paste on the text. Fortunately Oracle
    makes their books readily available. Any ideas are welcome.
    And my apologies to the authors on the list that are going
    "he wants to do WHAT with my book!!". Dennis Williams DBA
    Lifetouch, Inc. dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com
    Dennnis

    Did you get any more info re books on tape? Id be very interestd
    in audio documentation;-) I have a boring 1 hour ride each direction

    Thanks

    bob

    Author: Bob Metelsky
    INET: bmetelsky_at_cps92.com

  • DENNIS WILLIAMS at Oct 21, 2002 at 10:53 pm
    Bob

    Thanks for asking. No, most of the replies were along the lines that I'd
    be less of a road hazard were I drunk with a cell phone in each ear.

    But knowing someone else is interested is encouraging. Given the easy
    access to broadband, maybe we could arrange some audio file swaps. Shouldn't
    be too illegal, assuming you already own the texts in print format. And only
    slightly less moral than driving with the radio on.

    Dennis Williams
    DBA, 40%OCP

    Lifetouch, Inc.
    dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com