Ok so the qa environment we've been fooling around with rman for testing backup/recovery.

tonite they say " we want a backup restored from rman from 2 incarnations ago(for those of u who dont know what an incarnation is, its a new version of the database that gets created when you do open resetlogs <-- if thats wrong please RMAN gurus correct me.

So I get out the book, the docs say "in the event you have to do this, which should be rare", you must do the
"reset database to incarnation" command.

seems easy enough, fire up rman, startup nomount, reset incarnation and it finds the old backups, and starts the restore.

so far so good, but then the catch, being a rman newbie(8.1.7), i forgot to make a controlfile backup, now if i'd had that, this should have been cake,restore the control file in nomount mode, mount and restore the datafiles, recover the datafiles and open resetlogs, did i forget to say, this is a NOARCHIVELOGMODE database.

Well, for whatever reason, the database wouldnt open, due to using a newer controlfile.

hmmm, i've done this before, i'll just dump the controlfile to trace(yes i did this BEFORE the restore, just in case of an actual emergency).

rebuild the control file, try the recover again(did i say we're going to a particular SCN based on the info from list backup/list incarnation commands), no deal, damn database will not open.

regroup, wait a minute, rman aint anything special, let's do this:

restore the files from rman backup again.
exit rman
sqlplus: recover database until scn #######;
alter database open resetlogs;

rman: resync catalog;

CHOKE, but i expected that,
rman: reset database;

full catalog sync AND

we're good to go.

Where did go wrong in using RMAN to do the recover/restore ???

joe

Author: JOE TESTA
INET: JTESTA_at_longaberger.com

  • DENNIS WILLIAMS at Oct 4, 2002 at 3:58 am
    Joe - You da man. An impressive tour de force in working around RMAN. Was
    your last statement rhetorical? I think you answered that question - that
    you didn't have the right control file. Impressive that you were able to
    creatively work around the obvious limitation. This is the reason we test
    recovery scenarios, so that before the real disaster you've figured out that
    you need to back the control file up separately. Congratulations.

    Dennis Williams
    DBA

    Lifetouch, Inc.
    dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  • Connor McDonald at Oct 4, 2002 at 8:53 am
    What follows might be all hogwash, you could have
    tried this:

    DECLARE

    devtype varchar2(256);
    done boolean;
    BEGIN

    devtype := dbms_backup_restore.deviceallocate('',
    params=>'');
    dbms_backup_restore.restoresetdatafile;

    dbms_backup_restore.restorecontrolfileto('/tmp/foo.bar');

    dbms_backup_restore.restorebackuppiece('wherever_my_backups_are',done=>done);
    END;

    /

    which drags a copy of the control file that was
    included in the backup into /tmp/foo.bar. (Obviously
    this has to be run against a different ie "up"
    database).

    Then startup nomount the db to be recovered, rman the
    'replicate controlfile' and then restore/recover in
    the normal way. I think this functionality came in
    when they allowed a no-catalog mechanism, so if you
    lost everything, you could still make use of a backup.

    hth
    connor

    JOE TESTA wrote: > Ok so
[...]

    Connor McDonald
    http://www.oracledba.co.uk
    http://www.oaktable.net

    "Remember amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic"

    Do You Yahoo!?
    http://uk.my.yahoo.com

    Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=
    INET: hamcdc_at_yahoo.co.uk

  • Joe Testa at Oct 4, 2002 at 11:58 am
    yea the last question was rhetorical, i'd forgotten to back up the
    control file, a hole in my backup strategy.

    joe

    Author: Joe Testa
    INET: jtesta_at_dmc-it.com

  • Joe Testa at Oct 4, 2002 at 11:58 am
    Connor, my problem(fault) was I didnt make a copy of the control
    file(and in 8.1.7, you don't get it backed up by default like in 9i,
    right?).

    I attempted to bring the db in nomount and restore the control file,
    rman reply "no controlfile backup found".

    joe

    =====

    Author: Joe Testa
    INET: jtesta_at_dmc-it.com

  • John.Hallas_at_vodafone.co.uk at Oct 4, 2002 at 1:53 pm
    The controlfile gets backed up automatically when you do a RMAN full backup.
    I have been having a debate this morning regarding a situation where we do
    weekly full backups using RMAN and and a daily RMAN "archivelog all delete
    input".

    I contend we should do a "archivelog all delete input INCLUDING
    controlfile". My colleague states that this is only of value for when all
    controlfiles are lost. (which we both agree is highly unlikely but
    possible).

    I am asured that if we had no controlfile available we could "restore
    controlfile" and it would go back to the copy it has which could be 1 week
    old and then roll forward (after calling restore database). RMAN would apply
    any changes necessary (of which there would be none in this scenario) and
    create an updated copy of the current controlfile)

    So Joe, you only needed a copy of the control file because of the scenario
    you were running and you would not need to take a specific copy in the
    normal run of events? Is my understanding correct?. I know that no
    recovery/DR scenario can be considered normal but I am particularly
    interested if any situation where we need to recover from the last backup
    either a full database to a SCN or point in time or recover a single
    datafile
    Thanks
    John

    Connor, my problem(fault) was I didnt make a copy of the control
    file(and in 8.1.7, you don't get it backed up by default like in 9i,
    right?).

    INET: John.Hallas_at_vodafone.co.uk

  • Connor McDonald at Oct 4, 2002 at 2:08 pm
    Here is an example from 8.1.7.4

    oracle_at_loki:/orabak >rman nocatalog

    Recovery Manager: Release 8.1.7.4.0 - Production

    RMAN> connect target /

    RMAN-06005: connected to target database: LIVL
    (DBID=750735866)

    RMAN-06009: using target database controlfile instead
    of recovery catalog

    RMAN> run {

    2> allocate channel c1 type disk;
    3> set limit channel c1 kbytes=2000000;
    4> backup full (database format

    '/orabak/tmp/ORA_O_%d_%t_%s_%p_%u');

    5> sql "ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT";
    6> change archivelog all crosscheck;
    7> backup (archivelog all format

    '/orabak/tmp/ORA_A_%d_%t_%s_%p_%u');
    8> }

    RMAN-03022: compiling command: allocate
    RMAN-03023: executing command: allocate
    RMAN-08030: allocated channel: c1
    RMAN-08500: channel c1: sid=22 devtype=DISK

    RMAN-03022: compiling command: set limit
    RMAN-03023: executing command: set limit

    RMAN-03022: compiling command: backup
    RMAN-03023: executing command: backup
    RMAN-08008: channel c1: starting full datafile

    backupset
    RMAN-08502: set_count=1 set_stamp=474386022
    creation_time=04-OCT-02
    RMAN-08010: channel c1: specifying datafile(s) in
    backupset
    RMAN-08522: input datafile fno=00001
    name=/oras1/livl/livlsystem01.dbf
    RMAN-08011: including current controlfile in backupset
    RMAN-08522: input datafile fno=00002
    name=/oras3/livl/livlrbs01.dbf
    RMAN-08522: input datafile fno=00008
    name=/ora03/livl/livlretest01.dbf
    RMAN-08522: input datafile fno=00003
    name=/ora01/livl/livllivlt01.dbf
    RMAN-08522: input datafile fno=00004
    name=/ora02/livl/livllivlt02.dbf
    RMAN-08522: input datafile fno=00005
    name=/ora03/livl/livllivlt03.dbf
    RMAN-08522: input datafile fno=00006
    name=/orai1/livl/livllivli01.dbf
    RMAN-08522: input datafile fno=00007
    name=/orai2/livl/livllivli02.dbf
    RMAN-08013: channel c1: piece 1 created
    RMAN-08503: piece
    handle=/orabak/tmp/ORA_O_LIVL_474386022_1_1_01e4d3j6
    comment=NONE
    RMAN-08525: backup set complete, elapsed time:
    00:03:28

    RMAN-03022: compiling command: sql
    RMAN-06162: sql statement: ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG
    CURRENT

    RMAN-03023: executing command: sql
    RMAN-03022: compiling command: backup
    RMAN-03023: executing command: backup
    RMAN-08009: channel c1: starting archivelog backupset
    RMAN-08502: set_count=2 set_stamp=474386265

    creation_time=04-OCT-02
    RMAN-08014: channel c1: specifying archivelog(s) in
    backup set
    RMAN-08504: input archivelog thread=1 sequence=586
    recid=543 stamp=474386235
    RMAN-08013: channel c1: piece 1 created
    RMAN-08503: piece
    handle=/orabak/tmp/ORA_A_LIVL_474386265_2_1_02e4d3qp
    comment=NONE
    RMAN-08525: backup set complete, elapsed time:
    00:00:08
    RMAN-08031: released channel: c1

    So I've taken a backup...now can I get the control
    file back?

    oracle_at_loki:/orabak/tmp >sqlplus internal

    SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Fri Oct 4
    13:58:56 2002

    (c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights
    reserved.

    Connected to:
    Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.4.0 -
    Production
    With the Partitioning option
    JServer Release 8.1.7.4.0 - Production

    sys_at_livl> DECLARE
    2 devtype varchar2(256);
    3 done boolean;
    4 BEGIN

    5 devtype :=
    dbms_backup_restore.deviceallocate('',params=>'');
    6 dbms_backup_restore.restoresetdatafile;
    7
    dbms_backup_restore.restorecontrolfileto('/tmp/foo.bar');
    8
    dbms_backup_restore.restorebackuppiece('/orabak/tmp/ORA_O_LIVL_474386022_1_1_01e4d3j6',done=>done);
    9 END;

    10 /

    sys_at_livl> exit
    Disconnected from Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release
    8.1.7.4.0 - Production
    With the Partitioning option
    JServer Release 8.1.7.4.0 - Production
    you have mail in /var/mail/oracle
    oracle_at_loki:/orabak/tmp >ls -l /tmp/foo.bar
    -rw-rw---- 1 oracle dba 1908736 Oct 4
    14:00 /tmp/foo.bar

    hth
    connor

    Joe Testa wrote: > Connor, my

    --
    Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
    http://www.orafaq.com
    Author: Joe Testa
    INET: jtesta_at_dmc-it.com

    Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051
    http://www.fatcity.com
    San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web
    hosting services
    E-Mail message
    'ListGuru') and in
    ORACLE-L
    from). You may
    also send the HELP command for other information
    (like subscribing).

    Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=
    INET: hamcdc_at_yahoo.co.uk

  • Ruth Gramolini at Oct 4, 2002 at 2:48 pm
    I haven't really been following this thread closely but whenever you do a
    level 0 rman backup it will include the controlfile. If you need to recover
    to a point in time you can recover using backup controlfile to that point in
    time.

    HTH,

    Ruth

    Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=
    INET: hamcdc_at_yahoo.co.uk

    Author: Ruth Gramolini
    INET: rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us

  • Ruth Gramolini at Oct 4, 2002 at 3:08 pm
    When you are doing point-in-time recovery you have to use the backup
    controlfile anyway and start with a level 0 which has the backup controlfile
    and roll forward using incrementals or just the archivelogs. I don't know
    if this answers your question but I will be glad to try again with more
    info.

    HTH,

    Ruth

    Author: Ruth Gramolini
    INET: rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us

  • James Howerton at Oct 4, 2002 at 7:21 pm
    On all of my 8.1.7 and below DB's I do a controlfile backup after the level backup and archivelog all delete input is finished. I had problems cloning a database because RMAN back's up the controlfile first and then does the level backup etc.

    ...JIM...
    John.Hallas_at_vodafone.co.uk 10/4/02 8:53:27 AM >>>

    Author: James Howerton
    INET: jhowerton_at_uabmc.edu

  • Ruth Gramolini at Oct 4, 2002 at 7:58 pm
    And wouldn't that be the place you wanted to start if you were doing a PITR?

    Ruth

    Author: James Howerton
    INET: jhowerton_at_uabmc.edu

    Author: Ruth Gramolini
    INET: rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us

  • Joe Testa at Oct 5, 2002 at 12:13 am
    John, i think the scenario here should be rare.

    Restore from 2 backups ago, noarchivelogmode, open resetlogs since backup.

    so we had to reset incarnation and it appears rman was confused because
    of the current control file and old datafiles.

    joe

    Author: Joe Testa
    INET: jtesta_at_dmc-it.com