Hmmmm. How come I always seem to be the DBA who can't say no - you don't
seem to have that problem at all.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 3:58 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

The phone rings. Another user. Still pissed off, I pick it up...

"Database Administration, can I help you?" I answer professionally.

Troubled silence on the phone. Politeness is a very bad signal from me and
they know it. He was rattled.

"Uh, hi, this is Joe, technical lead on that super-critical project for
Benefits? Is this a good time? I have some stuff I need moved to
production?"

The last was a statement, but it came out like a question. With a slight
quaver in the voice, too. Excellent. Technical lead my arse.

"Could you be more specific so I can schedule you appropriately?"

He hesitated. Gosh, I sounded for real. I almost convinced myself. The
victim approached warily.

"I've got a bunch of PL/SQL packages and some outlines to speed up the
queries with special hints. The scripts are all ready for your review, they
include the create statements, the grants, everything. I'm forwarding the
email package to you with signoffs from IT, the user department, and your
own from reviewing our design and test results". This last was delivered
with almost pathetic eagerness. Good boy. Good, simple, foolish boy.

If he could see me he'd be terrified by my grin. "Joe, I need you to help
me out. You've just given me 10 minutes of work, but I'm due for lunch in 5
minutes. What do you suggest I do?"

Joe knew better, he really did. But his team had been up all night
finishing and the prize was so close...

"Look, I really hate to impose. But we've missed several major deadlines,
and department head has made it clear if we screw up again he'll outsource
the whole project and have us laid off. I need it now so we can make sure
everything's perfect for the big production run at COB today".

"Consider it done," I promised cheerfully and hung up. I surprised him,
and maybe myself, with my good spirits. Especially since I was more than 5
minutes late, closer to fifteen, and my buddies were already into their
second beer when I joined them for lunch. But the extra 10 minutes had been
well worth it considering what I managed to do to those hints with the
outline editor. Just the same, though, I turned off my cell phone in case
the twit called to find out why his 5-second queries took almost an hour.
Can't have him taking me for granted, can I?

Later that evening, after quaffing several (all right, numerous) more ales
with the boys, I dialed in from home to check how things were going. Mr.
Tech Lead was still logged in, no doubt desperately trying to determine why
things were taking forever. Poor Mr. Tech Lead, another sleepless night. I
logged off, turned out the light, and slept like a baby.

Next morning, hangover. The phone rings. I snatch it up angrily...

Author: Conboy, Jim
INET: Jim.Conboy_at_trw.com

INET: Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us

  • Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us at Oct 1, 2002 at 10:28 am
    I wish I could chuck my catholicism just a little to do something just a
    little like that - man!

    I don't know how he can live with himself....
    LMAO

    Author: Bob Metelsky
    INET: bmetelsky_at_cps92.com

    INET: Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us

  • Rachel Carmichael at Oct 1, 2002 at 1:18 pm
    Paula,

    It just takes practice. You can learn to say no. I did. You just have
    to work up to it :)

    You start with:

    "If I do that for you now, I will fall behind x days on the critical
    project I am working on for you"

    move on to:

    "I'm sorry. I have too much to do"

    then to:

    "not gonna happen"

    and finally, either of the following:

    "what part of the word NO don't you understand?"

    or (my personal favorite)

    "failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine"

    Try it, you'll like it

    Author: Conboy, Jim
    INET: Jim.Conboy_at_trw.com

    http://sbc.yahoo.com

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

  • Connor McDonald at Oct 1, 2002 at 2:38 pm
    My favourite when they come to your desk...

    "Ah, I see the f..k up fairy has come to visit"

    (Apologies for profanity)

    :-)

    --
    Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
    http://www.orafaq.com
    Author: Conboy, Jim
    INET: Jim.Conboy_at_trw.com

    Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051
    http://www.fatcity.com
    San Diego, California -- Mailing list and
    web hosting services

    E-Mail message
    'ListGuru') and in
    (or the name of mailing list you want to be
    removed from). You may
    also send the HELP command for other information
    (like subscribing).

    http://sbc.yahoo.com
    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

    Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051
    http://www.fatcity.com
    San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web
    hosting services
    E-Mail message
    'ListGuru') and in
    ORACLE-L
    from). You may
    also send the HELP command for other information
    (like subscribing).
    Connor McDonald
    http://www.oracledba.co.uk
    http://www.oaktable.net

    "Remember amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic"

    Do You Yahoo!?
    http://uk.my.yahoo.com

    Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=
    INET: hamcdc_at_yahoo.co.uk

  • Robson, Peter at Oct 1, 2002 at 3:43 pm
    Nah - I go for the subtle approach -

    'YES?' - very, VERY loudly! And looking them dead straight in the eye...
    (You should see 'em jump!)

    peter
    edinbugh

    Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=
    INET: hamcdc_at_yahoo.co.uk

    This e-mail message, and any files transmitted with it, are
    confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. If
    this message was not addressed to you, you have received it in error
    and any copying, distribution or other use of any part of it is
    strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented are solely those
    of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of the British
    Geological Survey. The security of e-mail communication cannot be
    guaranteed and the BGS accepts no liability for claims arising as a
    result of the use of this medium to transmit messages from or to the
    BGS. The BGS cannot accept any responsibility for viruses, so please

    scan all attachments. http://www.bgs.ac.uk

    Author: Robson, Peter
    INET: pgro_at_bgs.ac.uk

  • Godlewski, Melissa at Oct 1, 2002 at 3:53 pm
    An ENRON executive in training.

    Author: Bob Metelsky
    INET: bmetelsky_at_cps92.com

    Author: Godlewski, Melissa
    INET: Melissa.Godlewski_at_hq.doe.gov

  • Stephane Faroult at Oct 1, 2002 at 6:58 pm
    LOL.

    Any Cicely Mary Barker JPEG of the fairy to put on my desk ?

    Author: Conboy, Jim
    INET: Jim.Conboy_at_trw.com
    Author: Stephane Faroult
    INET: sfaroult_at_oriole.com

  • Bob Metelsky at Oct 1, 2002 at 7:24 pm
    hehehe... yea or a euthaniser the Humane Society....;->

    Author: Bob Metelsky
    INET: bmetelsky_at_cps92.com

    Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051
    http://www.fatcity.com
    San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting

    services

    To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail
    message

    to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and

    Author: Bob Metelsky
    INET: bmetelsky_at_cps92.com