http://www.cpas.com

Author: Sam Bootsma
INET: SamB_at_cpas.com

  • Ltiu at Sep 30, 2002 at 5:13 pm
    This is interesting.

    I have installed and run multiple Oracle versions on the same Unix box
    but not NT.

    Sam Bootsma wrote:
    Hello,

    Does anybody out there run Oracle 8.1.7 and Oracle 9.2 on the same NT (or
    Windows 2000) box? Is it running smoothly. Any difficulties installing or
    running both versions on the same box?

    I ask because one of my colleagues has encountered difficulties installing
    and running Oracle 8.1.7 and Oracle 9.2 on the same NT box.

    Thanks for any input.

    Sam Bootsma, OCP
    Technical Support Analyst
    CPAS Systems Inc.
    416-422-0563 x237
    samb_at_cpas.com
    http://www.cpas.com

    --
    ltiu
    3/4 OCP 9i Eh?

    Author: ltiu
    INET: ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca

  • Jesse, Rich at Sep 30, 2002 at 5:38 pm
    Yes, I am. I needed an 8i client because some programs still can't talk 9i.
    The only issues I've run into are with the products themselves. Some Quest
    products have problems with multiple Oracle Homes. Their solution is to
    hack the Registry to make the LAST_ORACLE_HOME the one to point the Quest
    products to. Obviously, this is a hack and the product should be fixed, but
    you should at least be aware of the issue.

    Other than that, I *highly* recommend NEVER uninstalling ANY Oracle product
    on Windows if you are also working with ODBC or 3rd party tools. I've only
    had success wiping out all Oracle Homes and reinstalling. Granted, my
    WinTuke (Win2K) box is mostly used as a client. Servers may be different.

    Just my $0.02...

    Rich Jesse System/Database Administrator
    Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

    Author: Jesse, Rich
    INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

  • Fink, Dan at Sep 30, 2002 at 6:33 pm
    I am currently running 8.1.5, 8.1.7, 9.0.1.2 and 9.2 on the same Win2k Pro
    machine. I rarely have more than 2 running at the same time due to memory
    considerations, but I have not encountered any problems related to
    install/runtime. I always make sure I install in order of oldest to newest.
    I also do the once a year cleaning (reformat c:\ and reinstall
    everything...).

    Dan Fink

    Author: Jesse, Rich
    INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com