.   SYSTEM (160 segments using        2.80Mb)

Author: Markham, Richard
INET: RMarkham_at_hafeleamericas.com

  • Tim Gorman at Sep 24, 2002 at 4:33 am
    moving non system segments

    Richard,

    First of all, that "hc.sql" script is *really* old,
    not well written, and liable to produce all kinds of absurd advice.
    Please take *anything* that it says with a large grain of salt (at least a grain
    large enough to be a salt lick for a herd of deer).  Even Mr. Kolk's
    extremely well-planned and well-written YAPP processor occasionally produces
    some amusingly irrelevant bits of advice at times...

    Having said that, the ALTER TABLE ... MOVE command
    on "heap" organized tables will certainly cause an issue with access.  To
    wit, you can't.  So, you have to plan on downtime for those objects
    while the MOVE is occurring.  And don't forget to rebuild the related
    indexes after the MOVE command finishes.  Luckily, I have a
    "gen_rebuild_idx.sql" script to help with that.  There is an ALTER TABLE
    ... MOVE ... ONLINE command for index-organized tables and ALTER INDEX ...
    REBUILD ... ONLINE command for indexes which do not have access issues,
    however...

    As far as the objects that the script pointed out
    as incorrectly residing in the SYSTEM tablespace, I wouldn't really worry about
    them unless you are actually using the features that rely on them.  I think
    MDSYS has to do with the "spatial" option, ORDSYS has to do with "Inter-Media",
    and I forget what those other schemas with the dollar signs are related to, but
    I'm certain they have to do with some Oracle salesperson's
    children's orthodontist bills.  That CSMIG schema looks quite
    non-Oracle and non-standard, but I could be wrong, and that SYSTEM schema is
    usually quite harmless as well.  It all depends on whether those features
    will be used or not -- if they will, then move to some other
    tablespace.

    I'm glad that you like the script, but it is the
    one that I think most about removing, mostly because it has aged rather worse
    than I.  I've been thinking about rewriting it and bringing it up to date,
    but other things always get in the way...

    Hope this helps...

    -Tim