-- Babu
Author: Janardhana Babu Donga
INET: jbdonga_at_ucdavis.edu

  • Janardhana Babu Donga at Sep 6, 2002 at 12:13 am
    Dear List,

    Iam following the procedure to restore database from RMAN backup from HOST_A
    to HOST_B with a recovery catalog.

    I copied the init.ora file to HOST_B
    on HOST_B, I made an entry in oratab for 'rtest' database and switch to
    'rtest' database using . oraenv
    issued: rman target / catalog rman/rman@
    startup nomount;
    run {
    allocate channel ch1 type 'sbt_tape';
    restore controlfile;
    }

    It generates the following error. "list backup of controlfile" is showing up
    the backup entries.

    RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
    RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
    RMAN-03002: failure during compilation of command
    RMAN-03013: command type: restore
    RMAN-03007: retryable error occurred during execution of command: IRESTORE

    RMAN-07004: unhandled exception during command execution on channel ch1
    RMAN-10035: exception raised in RPC: ORA-19507: failed to retrieve
    sequential file, handle="nre1u1kk_1_1", parms=""
    ORA-27029: skgfrtrv: sbtrestore returned error
    ORA-19511: sbtrestore: Backup file not found.
    RMAN-10031: ORA-19624 occurred during call to
    DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE.RESTOREBACKUPPIECE

    Could someone help me in resolving the issue.

    Thanks,
    -- Babu
    Author: Janardhana Babu Donga
    INET: jbdonga_at_ucdavis.edu

  • Zhu chao at Sep 6, 2002 at 2:18 am
    Janardhana Babu Donga,

    hi, which backup software are u using? as far as i know, you must setup something in the second node so that MML software can THINK it is the node that is backed up, so it can restore back.

    Regards
    zhu chao
    Eachnet DBA
    86-21-32174588-667
    chao_ping_at_vip.163.com

    2002-09-05 16:13:00,you wrote£º=======
    Dear List,

    Iam following the procedure to restore database from RMAN backup from HOST_A
    to HOST_B with a recovery catalog.

    1. I copied the init.ora file to HOST_B
    2. on HOST_B, I made an entry in oratab for 'rtest' database and switch to
    'rtest' database using . oraenv
    3. issued: rman target / catalog rman/rman@
    4. startup nomount;
    5. run {

    Author: Janardhana Babu Donga
    INET: jbdonga_at_ucdavis.edu

    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

    ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡zhu chao
    ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡chaospku_at_163.net
    ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡2002-09-06

    Author: zhu chao
    INET: chaospku_at_163.net

  • Jay Hostetter at Sep 6, 2002 at 12:48 pm
    Babu,

    You need to copy your backup files to HOST_B. If your file systems are different thant HOST_A, create symbolic links for the directories where rman expects to find the backups.

    Jay Hostetter
    Oracle DBA
    D. & E. Communications
    Ephrata, PA USA
    jbdonga_at_ucdavis.edu 09/05/02 08:13PM >>>

    Author: Janardhana Babu Donga
    INET: jbdonga_at_ucdavis.edu

    **DISCLAIMER

    This e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail message. The contents do not represent the opinion of D&E except to the extent that it relates to their official business.
    Author: Jay Hostetter
    INET: jhostetter_at_decommunications.com

  • DENNIS WILLIAMS at Sep 6, 2002 at 2:38 pm
    Babu

    I agree with Jay, you need to create symbolic links that mimic the
    locations RMAN hopes to find the backup files.

    I was unable to get RMAN to restore the control file. The problem I
    encountered was that RMAN required the target database to be mounted first,
    but without a control file I couldn't mount the database. Someone the list
    reported that this was possible, but I finally just said that it was easier
    to create a backup control file outside RMAN and use that.

    The RMAN information needed to restore is probably still available in the
    control file. I found that to simplify the type of recovery you are
    attempting.

    RMAN will need the archive logs that were created during the time it was
    performing the backup in order to get the data files back to the same SCN.

    This task took me awhile, so be patient.

    Dennis Williams
    DBA

    Lifetouch, Inc.
    dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

    Author: Janardhana Babu Donga
    INET: jbdonga_at_ucdavis.edu

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  • Ltiu at Sep 6, 2002 at 3:28 pm
    About restoring controlfiles, if I remember this correctly as I did just
    this a few months ago:

    You have to startup database nomount.

    Then restore controlfile.

    Then alter database mount.