Greetings,

I am trying to restore a database into a new host.

The database called dsdn is originally located on dndev, catalog database is located on catserver1.

I have copied the catalog to a database called trmanrfd, which is also located on the new host server2.

Now I am trying to restore this database into a new host called server2.

It is taking 6-7 hours to restore. Ideally it should take few mintes(may be 30 mts.).

Do you have any idea, what could be the problem for slowness.

Thanks,
Ashoke

Running the following scripts on the new host server2.
rman target rman_main/test \

rcvcat rman_restore/rman_restore_at_trmanrfd.xxx.com \
cmdfile $ORACLE_HOME/scripts/restore/dsdn/dsdn_newhost_on \
msglog $ORACLE_HOME/scripts/restore/log/dsdn_newhost_on.log \
append

run {
allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE'
parms 'ENV=(NSR_SERVER=denali.xxx.com, NSR_CLIENT=dndev.xxx.com)';
allocate channel t2 type 'SBT_TAPE'
parms 'ENV=(NSR_SERVER=denali.xxx.com, NSR_CLIENT=dndev.xxx.com)';
allocate channel t3 type 'SBT_TAPE'
parms 'ENV=(NSR_SERVER=denali.xxx.com, NSR_CLIENT=dndev.xxx.com)';
allocate channel t4 type 'SBT_TAPE'
parms 'ENV=(NSR_SERVER=denali.xxx.com, NSR_CLIENT=dndev.xxx.com)';

set until time = 'JUL 08 2002 10:22:28';

restore controlfile to '/u02/oradata/dsdn/control01.ctl';

replicate controlfile from '/u02/oradata/dsdn/control01.ctl';

sql 'alter database mount';

set newname for datafile 1 to '/u02/oradata/dsdn/system01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 2 to '/u02/oradata/dsdn/rollback01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 3 to '/u02/oradata/dsdn/temp01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 4 to '/u02/oradata/dsdn/users01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 5 to '/u02/oradata/dsdn/tools01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 6 to '/u02/oradata/dsdn/inv_data01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 7 to '/u02/oradata/dsdn/inv_index01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 8 to '/u02/oradata/dsdn/inv_data_2_01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 9 to '/u02/oradata/dsdn/inv_index_2_01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 10 to '/u02/oradata/dsdn/asset_mgmt_dat01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 11 to '/u02/oradata/dsdn/asset_mgmt_idx01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 12 to '/u02/oradata/dsdn/asset_mgmt_hist_dat01.dbf';
set newname for datafile 13 to '/u02/oradata/dsdn/asset_mgmt_hist_idx01.dbf';

restore database;
switch datafile all;
recover database;

Author: Mandal, Ashoke
INET: ashoke.k.mandal_at_medtronic.com

  • DENNIS WILLIAMS at Jul 10, 2002 at 7:35 pm
    Ashoke - I received something like that when attempting a similar RMAN
    restore. This was the only thing on the target server and the server usage
    went to zero.

    Bruce Reardon was nice enough to offer the following suggestions:

    What does v$session_wait say for the RMAN sessions (on each
    database)
    Can you connect to the catalog yourself?
    Can you connect nomount to the target?
    Anything in cdump, bdump, udump directories?
    Check the o.s. processes.

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  • Freeman, Robert at Jul 12, 2002 at 7:13 pm
    If you are using a MML, check the settings there. They can have significant
    impacts on performance.
    We just got done chasing a restore problem where our database was taking
    about 15 hours to restore
    (if at all). Finally discovered that the tapes we were using were "vaulted"
    tapes. These were tapes
    created after our backup for off-site purposes. When they created these
    tapes, the program that
    created them would interleave several tapes into the vault set. So, out 2
    tape backup set becomes
    a 7 tape backup set That 7 tape backupset would have the backup pieces
    segmented all over the place,
    and the way the MMManager was working, it would read one backup piece, and
    then have to rewind
    the entire tape before it could read the next.

    We redid the recovery with non-interleaved tapes in 5 hours.

    RF

    Robert G. Freeman - Oracle OCP
    Oracle Database Architect
    CSX Midtier Database Administration
    Author
    Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press - Oct 2002)
    Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
    Mastering Oracle8i  (Sybex)

    Clark Griswold: Eddie, has anyone ever told you that you're bad luck?
    Cousin Eddie: Those were my mother's dying words. But I
    guess if your body's covered in third degree burns, and
    your foot's caught in a bear trap, you tend to start talkin'
    crazy.

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

    Author: Freeman, Robert
    INET: Robert_Freeman_at_csx.com

  • Mandal, Ashoke at Jul 12, 2002 at 8:13 pm
    Hi Robert,

    Thanks for your note on the RMAN restore.

    I finally analyzed(compute statistics) the catalog schema and was able to restore within 10 mts instead of 6 hours.

    Ashoke

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

    Author: Freeman, Robert