Praveen
Author: Praveen Sahni
INET: Praveen.Sahni_at_kshema.com

  • Joe Raube at Apr 24, 2002 at 8:18 pm
    Do a search on Google -- you'll find plenty.

    -Joe

    Praveen Sahni wrote:
    Hi All,
    I need to write a report on the health of a database.
    Please send if any of us have a scripts and any report format for
    the health
    of the database.
    Thanks in advance
    Praveen
    Author: Praveen Sahni
    INET: Praveen.Sahni_at_kshema.com

    San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing
    Lists
    also send the HELP command for other information (like
    subscribing).

    Do You Yahoo!?
    http://games.yahoo.com/

    Author: Joe Raube
    INET: jraube_at_yahoo.com

  • Gogala, Mladen at Apr 24, 2002 at 8:58 pm
    sqlplus "/ as sysdba" < -----Original Message-----
    Author: Praveen Sahni
    INET: Praveen.Sahni_at_kshema.com

    Author: Gogala, Mladen
    INET: MGogala_at_oxhp.com

  • Jared.Still_at_radisys.com at Apr 24, 2002 at 9:13 pm
    Personally, I think that many folks go a bit overboard when
    it comes to checking the health of a database.

    These are the things I like to check for:

    is the database up? this is the most important tech check
    status of jobs in DBA_JOBS
    space issues. Will a table be able to extend N times
    without error?
    are the users happy? This is actually more important
    than any of the technical issues.

    There's a lot of other things you can check, but personnaly, I
    quit checking them long ago.

    I do log a few things from the database, and periodically store
    the explain plans for SQLin the cache for troubleshooting later
    the things go awry. This is really not part of a periodic
    health check though, this is a whole different matter.

    One thing to keep in mind: Rolling your own helps you to
    understand what's being monitored. :)

    Jared

    Praveen Sahni
    Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
    04/24/2002 12:24 PM
    Please respond to ORACLE-L

    Author: Praveen Sahni
    INET: Praveen.Sahni_at_kshema.com

    INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

  • Magaliff, Bill at Apr 24, 2002 at 10:03 pm
    love it! - this gets my vote -

    Author: Praveen Sahni
    INET: Praveen.Sahni_at_kshema.com

    Author: Gogala, Mladen
    INET: MGogala_at_oxhp.com

    Author: Magaliff, Bill
    INET: Bill.Magaliff_at_lendware.com

  • Greg Moore at Apr 24, 2002 at 10:08 pm
    www.evdbt.com/library.htm has a health check script

    Author: Greg Moore
    INET: sqlgreg_at_pacbell.net

  • Farnsworth, Dave at Apr 25, 2002 at 11:48 am
    This is something that I am looking for a way to check on an 8.1.7 database running on NT without me physically having to login myself. Is there some automated way to do this, that maybe can send an email to a computer operator??

    Thanks,

    Dave

    Author: Praveen Sahni

    Author: Farnsworth, Dave
    INET: DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com

  • Boivin, Patrice J at Apr 25, 2002 at 1:03 pm
    You can send e-mails using UTL_TCP and UTL_SMTP, see MetaLink for example.

    Alternatively you can run crontab for Windows or AT jobs regularly and use
    something like blat to send alerts when certain conditions occur.

    You have to maintain the scripts though. Scripting on NT / Win2K is (er...)
    disingenuous.

    For example you can use freeware utilities like grade to compare the length
    of files.

    Regards,
    Patrice Boivin
    Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

    Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des systèmes
    Technology Services | Services technologiques
    Informatics Branch | Direction de l'informatique
    Maritimes Region, DFO | Région des Maritimes, MPO

    Author: Praveen Sahni

    Author: Farnsworth, Dave
    INET: DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com

    Author: Boivin, Patrice J
    INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca