is inversely proportional to that of its DBA.

Author: Bunyamin K. Karadeniz
INET: bunyamink_at_havelsan.com.tr

  • Gene Sais at Apr 4, 2002 at 5:24 pm
    here go the wars :)

    1. Solaris
    2. HP UX
    3. IBM AIX

    imho, in order. this is definitely in the archives.

    gene
    bunyamink_at_havelsan.com.tr 04/04/02 11:36AM >>>
    We are searching about which unix is best ?
    We will apply 9ias and 8.1.7 DB . plus Oracle Portal.
    Can you direct me to a link for comparison about SOLARIS, AIX, HP-UX for performance and other options ..
    Thank you ...

    Bunyamin K. Karadeniz
    Oracle DBA / Developer
    Civilian IT Department
    Havelsan A.S. Eskisehir yolu
    7.km Ankara Turkey
    Phone: +90 312 2873565 / 1217
    Mobile : +90 535 3357729

    The degree of normality in a database
    is inversely proportional to that of its DBA.

    Author: Gene Sais
    INET: Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us

  • Sakthi , Raj at Apr 4, 2002 at 5:48 pm
    What are you planning..? A religious war..:)
    well..here is my 2 cents,IMHO

    1. HP-UX
    2. SOlaris
    3. AIX

    in the order of preference. I have worked with all
    three and I found HP machines to be reliable and
    HP-UX easy to work with. This is not to say solaris is
    not but I had some nightmare stroies to tell about the
    bugs and quality of support from SUN. Again this is
    only my opinion and as everybody knows OS is,to some
    extent,a matter of personal choice also.
    ( Running to put on flame proof suit..:) )

    Cheers,
    RS
    --- "Bunyamin K. Karadeniz"
    wrote:
    We are searching about which unix is best ?
    We will apply 9ias and 8.1.7 DB . plus Oracle
    Portal.
    Can you direct me to a link for comparison about
    SOLARIS, AIX, HP-UX for performance and other
    options ..
    Thank you ...

    Bunyamin K. Karadeniz
    Oracle DBA / Developer
    Civilian IT Department
    Havelsan A.S. Eskisehir yolu
    7.km Ankara Turkey
    Phone: +90 312 2873565 / 1217
    Mobile : +90 535 3357729

    The degree of normality in a database
    is inversely proportional to that of its DBA.
    Do You Yahoo!?
    http://taxes.yahoo.com/

    Author: Sakthi, Raj
    INET: rajan_sakthi_at_yahoo.com

  • Paul Vallee at Apr 4, 2002 at 6:09 pm
    Might as well get my two cents in... :-)

    Solaris
    Tied for 2... AIX, Tru64, HP/UX

    (leaving NUMA out of the equation for now. If you like NUMA, then look into
    the status of IBM's acquisition of Sequent, I'm out of touch with that right
    now.)

    Different hardware solutions from different vendors have different
    performance, stability and cost characteristics, and so I'll assume that all
    vendors have an appropriate solution on these factors, this may not be the
    case.

    With these assumptions, the primary factor for me is the timeliness of the
    availability of releases, patches and patchsets. Sun Solaris 32-bit is the
    winner on this factor on the grounds that it is Oracle's internal
    development platform. All other platforms are ported from Sun Solaris
    32-bit. When that changes, my recommendation would of course also change, as
    it did when Oracle moved away from Digital/VMS.

    Anyone who has been in a situation where a bug was causing service failure
    and who heard that a patch was available for Solaris but not your platform
    knows where I'm coming from on this one.

    Note: for the exact same reason, never use 64-bit Oracle on Solaris unless
    you absolutely need the very-large-sga support. 64-bit Oracle on Solaris is
    slow to get patches and releases.

    Best,
    Paul

    ---
    www.pythian.com -- vallee_at_pythian.com -- 877-PYTHIAN
    Smarter than adding another team member, Pythian has new services for
    supplementing DBAs: get our help with monitoring, 24x7 on-call, daily
    verifications, storage management, performance and more.

    Author: Sakthi, Raj
    INET: rajan_sakthi_at_yahoo.com

    Author: Paul Vallee
    INET: dbalist_at_pythian.com

  • John Kanagaraj at Apr 4, 2002 at 6:25 pm
    Bunyamin,

    Here we go again! (Raj - this _is_ a war!!)

    My preference is:

    AIX

    HP-UX
    Solaris

    Ultimately, it is a question of how much $$$ - now (purchase), later
    (maintenance costs), and how much when it goes down. I have managed about
    150 AIX boxes at one time, and have not had H/w based difficulties running
    them. And still managed 6 Solaris boxes at the same time and had major
    headaches with the H/W...

    YMMV!

    Author: Sakthi, Raj
    INET: rajan_sakthi_at_yahoo.com

    Author: John Kanagaraj
    INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com

  • Orr, Steve at Apr 4, 2002 at 6:25 pm
    Anyone use Linux for Sparc with an Oracle db on top?

    Author: Orr, Steve
    INET: sorr_at_rightnow.com

  • Scott.Shafer_at_dcpds.cpms.osd.mil at Apr 4, 2002 at 6:28 pm
    Raj,

    I have to agree with your order here. I've seen horrendous problems with
    Sun OS upgrades and Sun hardware. HP has been rock-solid. AIX is well, AIX
    - 'nuff said.

    Scott Shafer
    San Antonio, TX
    210-581-6217
    What are you planning..? A religious war..:)
    well..here is my 2 cents,IMHO
    1. HP-UX
    2. SOlaris
    3. AIX
    in the order of preference. I have worked with all
    three and I found HP machines to be reliable and
    HP-UX easy to work with. This is not to say solaris is
    not but I had some nightmare stroies to tell about the
    bugs and quality of support from SUN. Again this is
    only my opinion and as everybody knows OS is,to some
    extent,a matter of personal choice also.
    ( Running to put on flame proof suit..:) )

    Cheers,
    RS
    INET: Scott.Shafer_at_dcpds.cpms.osd.mil

  • Koivu, Lisa at Apr 4, 2002 at 6:28 pm
    I'm very suprised no one has said Linux. ?? It is one of the first tier
    platforms for Oracle now, isn't it? I also thought I read on this list a
    while back that Solaris was no longer the dev platform?

    Guess it all depends on what strengths you are looking for. For my
    employer, who is CHEAP, it was Windows. Who cares that it's not as stable
    as I would like. You should have seen the VP grin at me with this
    patronizing smile when he said, "I'll approve $35,000 for this project!",
    like he had done me a huge favor. I wanted to growl.

    Author: Sakthi, Raj
    INET: rajan_sakthi_at_yahoo.com

    Author: Paul Vallee
    INET: dbalist_at_pythian.com

    Author: Koivu, Lisa
    INET: lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com

  • Sherman, Edward at Apr 4, 2002 at 6:28 pm
    HP-UX Stable, Do you like patches?
    Solaris Popular, Good for the resume.

    AIX No experience with this, Is that really UNIX?
    Linux Free + You get coolness points.

    IMHO... of course!

    Author: Sakthi, Raj
    INET: rajan_sakthi_at_yahoo.com

    Author: Paul Vallee
    INET: dbalist_at_pythian.com

    * * * * * Freedom of Information Act Notice * * * * *
    The information in this email is subject to the record protection mandated
    by 5 United States Code 552 (b) (4) and relevant judicial opinions.
    Author: Sherman, Edward
    INET: shermanej_at_eccic.com

  • Jesse, Rich at Apr 4, 2002 at 6:53 pm
    Considering there's no binaries for it, I'd say you'd be hard-pressed to
    find one!

    :)

    I'm just happy I got a thin client running on my Alpha/Linux box at home.
    :D

    Rich Jesse System/Database Administrator
    Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA
    Anyone use Linux for Sparc with an Oracle db on top?
    Author: Jesse, Rich
    INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

  • Jesse, Rich at Apr 4, 2002 at 6:59 pm
    "Cheap"? LINUX, LINUX, LINUX! Even if you have a RedHat (or whoever)
    support contract to offset an M$ one, there are *NO* %@$^%#@#$% licensing
    fees!

    You'll SAVE money! :)

    Author: Jesse, Rich
    INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

  • Paul Vallee at Apr 4, 2002 at 6:59 pm
    Lisa, you're right of course.

    I should have said:

    Sun Solaris 32-bit
    (Tie) HP/UX, AIX, Tru64, Sun Solaris 64-bit
    Linux (comparable to above except lack of dependable commercial support
    can make it scarier. Has anyone purchased commercial support for any Linux
    and can they please compare it to commercial support from the other UNIX
    vendors for me?)
    Windows NT. I am not against Oracle on Windows on principle or anything,
    but my experience is that managing Oracle on Windows is more annoying and
    frustrating than on any UNIX.
    IRIX, DYNIX/ptx. Fears that these platforms are dying fast push them to
    the bottom of the list, even though in the past I had high hopes for them.
    IRIX's XFS filesystem and NUMA support promised an excellent Oracle
    platform, but without the sales I think it's rough. DYNIX of course is
    Sequent's NUMA platform, and again this had greatness potential. Oh well.
    :-)

    I should also echo another poster that in my experience the most stable
    hardware for the dollar is from HP. However, HP made a serious blunder by
    ignoring their PA-RISC chipset in favour of IA-64 that is yet to come...
    buying an HP server today means buying a SLOW server.

    I believe the same will happen to Alpha, although as of now I still think
    there are excellent buys there. Again, more stable hardware then Sun unless
    you're using DECSafe, which really should be renamed 'cause it causes many
    more stability problems than it fixes. ADVFS is a big bonus for Tru64 as
    well, with the other platforms you need to license Veritas to get a
    filesystem anywhere near as nice.

    Sun's major advantage is that it's got fast hardware and very mainstream
    operating system software, plust the advantages I mention in my other post.
    Crappy bundled filesystem means you have to give some money to Veritas
    though.

    IBM's AIX platforms are very stable, and my favourite thing about them is
    just how tested and trustable their OS patches are. They are easy to apply
    and I've never had nor heard of any ever needing to be backed out because of
    failure. This is not the case for any of the other OS platforms... :-)
    Filesystem-wise, JFS is OK.

    Cheers,
    Paul

    ---

    Author: Sakthi, Raj
    INET: rajan_sakthi_at_yahoo.com

    Author: Paul Vallee
    INET: dbalist_at_pythian.com

    Author: Koivu, Lisa
    INET: lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com

    Author: Paul Vallee
    INET: dbalist_at_pythian.com

  • Tday6_at_csc.com at Apr 4, 2002 at 7:13 pm
    I'm not sure which is best but here are my observations;

    Solaris - kernel patches take effect without a re-boot. This is Oracle's
    development environment (It'd be a hoot if Oracle developed their software
    in a Win95 environment!!).

    HP-UX - This used to be the Oracle Corp's production environment. If they
    liked it that much, why shouldn't we?

    AIX - In my experience AIX SAs are least experienced. I'm not sure why
    this is and it may just be a fluke.

    LINUX - Lots of "geek" points. You'll get to be your own support staff.

    Having worked with the first three I'd say that that's my order of
    "goodness".

    "Sherman,
    Edward" To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

    @eccic.com> cc:
    Sent by: root Subject: RE: WHICH UNIX FOR ORACLE?

    04/04/2002
    01:28 PM
    Please
    respond to
    ORACLE-L

    Author: Sakthi, Raj
    INET: rajan_sakthi_at_yahoo.com

    Author: Paul Vallee
    INET: dbalist_at_pythian.com

    Author: Sherman, Edward
    INET: shermanej_at_eccic.com

    INET: tday6_at_csc.com

  • Koivu, Lisa at Apr 4, 2002 at 7:23 pm
    True... but we had no one here to support it... granted I would love to
    learn how but I was slated to be the dba and developer on the project, I
    couldn't take on a third role too (that is completely new to me)

    Besides anything non-Windows would be out of my hands in production. Which
    IRKS THE CRAP out of me.

    Welcome to my (frustrating) job

    Author: Jesse, Rich
    INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

    Author: Koivu, Lisa
    INET: lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com

  • Sakthi , Raj at Apr 4, 2002 at 7:32 pm
    Paul,
    ORACLE switched from solaris to HP-UX somewhere in mid
    2000 for their tier I platform. ALso I think at this
    time compaq and HP are the only true 64 bit
    architectures available. That of course swings the
    scale in HPs favour...:)

    Cheers,
    RS

    --
    Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
    http://www.orafaq.com
    Author: Sakthi, Raj
    INET: rajan_sakthi_at_yahoo.com

    Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX:
    (858) 538-5051
    San Diego, California -- Public Internet
    access / Mailing Lists
    E-Mail message
    'ListGuru') and in
    ORACLE-L
    from). You may
    also send the HELP command for other information
    (like subscribing).

    Author: Sakthi, Raj
    INET: rajan_sakthi_at_yahoo.com

  • Sakthi , Raj at Apr 4, 2002 at 7:32 pm
    John,
    I knew this...but again what else does anyone expect
    from a bunch of Hard core DBAs..:)
    (Damn this feels good..;) so it can't be bad to wage
    this kinda war...what do you think..?)

    Cheers,
    RS

    John Kanagaraj wrote:
    Bunyamin,

    Here we go again! (Raj - this _is_ a war!!)

    My preference is:

    1. AIX
    2. HP-UX
    3. Solaris

    Ultimately, it is a question of how much $$$ - now
    (purchase), later
    (maintenance costs), and how much when it goes down.
    I have managed about
    150 AIX boxes at one time, and have not had H/w
    based difficulties running
    them. And still managed 6 Solaris boxes at the same
    time and had major
    headaches with the H/W...

    YMMV!

    Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051
    FAX: (858) 538-5051
    San Diego, California -- Public Internet
    access / Mailing Lists

    E-Mail message
    'ListGuru') and in
    (or the name of mailing list you want to be
    removed from). You may

    Author: Sakthi, Raj
    INET: rajan_sakthi_at_yahoo.com

  • Dgoulet_at_vicr.com at Apr 4, 2002 at 8:08 pm
    Another shot across the bow:

    Hp-UX if you like to sleep at night
    Solaris if you want speed and sleepless nights
    Aix if neither of the above is of any value in your life
    Linux if both are valuable & $$$ are a consideration

    Dick Goulet

    Author: Gene Sais
    INET: Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us

    INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

  • Boivin, Patrice J at Apr 4, 2002 at 8:08 pm
    How about XENIX?

    : )

    Regards,
    Patrice Boivin
    Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

    Author: Boivin, Patrice J
    INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

  • Brian_P_MacLean_at_eFunds.Com at Apr 4, 2002 at 8:58 pm
    A search of google didn't yield much to your need. My personal preference
    for the Unix's is Sun, then AIX, And in the list of ones that I will never
    work on again if I can help it is HP and Dynix-PTX (no flames please). My
    preference has nothing to do with performance or cost. It have more to do
    with the little things like dtksh, truss and the /proc related commands
    like ptree, etc., etc.

    See also -> http://dhbrown.com/dhbrown/aboutDHBA.cfm

    Brian P. MacLean
    Oracle DBA, OCP8i

    "Bunyamin K.
    Karadeniz" To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
    Subject: WHICH UNIX FOR ORACLE?
    Sent by:
    root_at_fatcity.com

    04/04/02 09:36 AM
    Please respond to
    ORACLE-L

    We are searching about which unix is best ?
    We will apply 9ias and 8.1.7 DB . plus Oracle Portal.
    Can you direct me to a link for comparison about SOLARIS, AIX, HP-UX for
    performance and other options ..
    Thank you ...

    Bunyamin K. Karadeniz
    Oracle DBA / Developer
    Civilian IT Department
    Havelsan A.S. Eskisehir yolu
    7.km Ankara Turkey
    Phone: +90 312 2873565 / 1217
    Mobile : +90 535 3357729

    The degree of normality in a database
    is inversely proportional to that of its DBA.

    INET: Brian_P_MacLean_at_eFunds.Com

  • Dgoulet_at_vicr.com at Apr 4, 2002 at 9:58 pm
    Consider yourself torched!

    Dick Goulet

    Author: Brian_P_MacLean_at_eFunds.Com
    Date: 4/4/2002 12:58 PM

[...]

  • John Kanagaraj at Apr 4, 2002 at 11:48 pm
    Hi List,

    Glad this is turning out into a full scale war :)

    One thing that we need to remember is that this is Global list. So if Sun is
    strong in Singapore, HP is stronger in Australia - it all depends on who is
    supported from where and what is the level of training/skill of the
    engineers themselves regionally... So perceptions change!

    My experience with AIX was in a remote corner of the world (Can someone spot
    a 100 mile x 5 mile deep coastal country called Brunei? Hint - you can find
    it is part of a larger Asian Island). IBM S'pore had a local man with local
    on-site spares and although he was on call literally all the time, he did
    have his feet up in the air on a desk since the machines broke down
    _rarely_. Sun and HP hardware, patches and spare parts had to on the other
    hand arrive from S'pore and that took a while. As well, the local engineers
    were from a Sales agency rather than from the vendor, and had to drive about
    100 miles to get there, maybe adding to my perception. Again. my perception
    of AIX in the US is that it does not have too much penetration, and thus
    that much less exposure as compared to HP and Sun.

    John Kanagaraj
    Oracle Applications DBA
    DBSoft Inc
    (W): 408-970-7002

    Grace - Getting something we don't deserve
    Mercy - NOT getting something we deserve

    Click on 'http://www.needhim.org' for Grace and Mercy that is freely
    available!

    The opinions and statements above are entirely my own and not those of my
    employer or clients **

    Author: Sakthi, Raj
    INET: rajan_sakthi_at_yahoo.com

    Author: John Kanagaraj
    INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com

  • Peter.McLarty_at_mincom.com at Apr 5, 2002 at 1:53 am
    Yes It is so true I think the best option with what is best is probable
    get along to you local Oracle or whatever usergroup meetings and find out
    the war stories from those that are there. You might find that over time
    you see more of your IBM rep or Sun rep at those meetings, also a sign of
    the type of support you might get.

    I was supporting a product MFG/PRO on Progress in a couple of previous
    jobs and it was a fairly regular occurence to see a HP rep at teh user
    group meetings, they also seemed to have the lions share of sites for that
    product.
    Oh and HP's support isn't too bad here at present. but I also havent had a
    problem with Sun or IBM, Just lucky, maybe

    Cheers

    Peter McLarty E-mail: Peter.Mclarty_at_mincom.com
    Technical Consultant WWW: http://www.mincom.com
    APAC Technical Services Phone: +61 (0)7 3303 3461
    Brisbane, Australia Mobile: +61 (0)402 094 238
    Facsimile: +61 (0)7 3303 3048
    A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

    - Walter Bagehot (1826-1877 British Economist)
    Mincom "The People, The Experience, The Vision"

    John Kanagaraj
    Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
    05/04/2002 09:48 AM
    Please respond to ORACLE-L

    Author: Sakthi, Raj
    INET: rajan_sakthi_at_yahoo.com

    Author: John Kanagaraj
    INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com

    This transmission is for the intended addressee only and is confidential information. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this e-mail are the opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of companies unless expressly stated otherwise.

    The previous attachment was filtered out by the ListGuru mailing
    software at fatcity.com because binary attachments are not appropriate
    for mailing lists. If you want a copy of the attachment which was
    removed, contact the sender directly and ask for it to be sent to
    you by private E-mail.

    This warning is inserted into all messages containing binary
    attachments which have been removed by ListGuru. If you have questions
    about this message, contact Postmaster_at_fatcity.com for clarification.

    --=_mixed 000A54AE4A256B92_=--
    INET: Peter.McLarty_at_mincom.com

    application/octet-stream attachment: STG47141
  • Paul Vallee at Apr 5, 2002 at 2:03 pm
    This is great information Raj. I've run a test that is completely consistent
    with this.

    For instance: Go to Metalink and click the "Patches" item in the left menu.
    Then choose product family "Oracle Server" and product "RDBMS Server",
    release "9.0.1.3".
    Select the "HP9000 Series HP/UX 64-bit" platform and choose "All Product
    Patches".

    Repeat for "Sun Sparc Solaris". Although the Sun list is quite lengthy
    compared to most other platforms (7 entries), the HP list has significantly
    more patches (15 entries).

    For me, this is a significant decision influencer when choosing a platform
    for Oracle. However, HP is definitely losing the performance race... :-)
    Tough one.

    Thanks again,
    Paul

    ---

    Author: Sakthi, Raj
    INET: rajan_sakthi_at_yahoo.com

    Author: Paul Vallee
    INET: dbalist_at_pythian.com

  • James Morle at Apr 5, 2002 at 2:53 pm
    Yes, let's not miss an opportunity to remind Evil Bill of his
    contribution to the wonderful world of UNIX. Xenix/286...

    Author: Boivin, Patrice J

    Author: James Morle
    INET: James.Morle_at_scaleabilities.co.uk

  • Sakthi , Raj at Apr 5, 2002 at 3:48 pm
    Paul,
    I am glad you are on your way to 'controlled molecular
    restructuring and HP-iozation' (??!) ..;)
    Mind telling me What made you say HP's is losing
    performance race..?
    I am on HP mid level (N class) 4 way server 64 bit and
    our Database is 210 Gigs High end OLTP database with
    12 TPS and severe response time restrictions(1 sec
    or less.) I am beating the response time by several
    milliseconds and I haven't even maxed out the
    processors yet...!!

    HTH

    Cheers,
    RS

    Author: Sakthi, Raj
    INET: rajan_sakthi_at_yahoo.com

    Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX:
    (858) 538-5051
    San Diego, California -- Public Internet
    access / Mailing Lists
    E-Mail message
    'ListGuru') and in
    ORACLE-L
    from). You may
    also send the HELP command for other information
    (like subscribing).
    === message truncated ===

    Do You Yahoo!?
    http://taxes.yahoo.com/

    Author: Sakthi, Raj
    INET: rajan_sakthi_at_yahoo.com

  • Orr, Steve at Apr 5, 2002 at 4:31 pm
    Lot's of listers have presented nice lists but if you don't have Linux on
    your list then your experience is woefully incomplete. Long live Linux! The
    war is on and those who don't join this camp soon will find themselves on
    the losing side! :-)

    I did HPUX. I did Solaris. Now I'm doing Linux and life is wonderful.

    Unopinionatedly yours,
    Archie Bunker Steve Orr