Looking into how to do this.

The 8.0.5 database is on NT. The 8.1.7 is on Windows2000.

I thought I could:
- shut down database on 8.0.5 (on NT)

copy datafiles to windows 2000 server.
start 8.1.7 service on windows2000 server
run cat08005.sql scripts on windows2000 server
finish other tasks
This way I could move the database and upgrade in 1 step. Oracle is saying
I cannot do it this way. They are stating I must Migrate the Database from
805 to 817 on a Supported Platform and THEN move the database from one
machine to another. To do this, I will then have to install 8.1.7 on my
current production server (NT), do the upgrade and then move the database to
the new windows2000 server.
Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance.

John Fedock
"K" Line America, Inc.
john.fedock_at_kline.com
www.kline.com

Author: Fedock, John (KAM.RHQ)
INET: John.Fedock_at_KLINE.com

  • Tday6_at_csc.com at Apr 3, 2002 at 1:48 pm
    I've done this in the past:

    Install 8.1.7 and create a database (same SID as your current database).
    Create the same tablespaces and users as your current database. Export
    your old database and import it into your new database. Be sure to use the
    same level client software for the export and import. I'd use the 8.1.7
    software personally. Point your SQLNet at the new database.

    "Fedock, John
    (KAM.RHQ)" To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

    @KLINE.com> cc:
    Sent by: root Subject: 8.0.5 --> 8.1.7 apps upgrade

    04/02/2002
    05:05 PM
    Please
    respond to
    ORACLE-L

    Author: Fedock, John (KAM.RHQ)
    INET: John.Fedock_at_KLINE.com

    INET: tday6_at_csc.com

  • Jared Still at Apr 3, 2002 at 2:58 pm
    How about installing 8.1.7 on your NT server and migrating
    the database on it's current server?

    You need the 8.0.5 software to do the migration. The 8.1.7 mig
    utility is actually placed in the 8.0.5 ORACLE_HOME.

    Jared

    Author: Jared Still
    INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

  • Fedock, John (KAM.RHQ) at Apr 3, 2002 at 3:43 pm
    That's what it is looking like I have to do. Since we are moving the
    database to a new server, I was trying to save a step if possible.

    Thanks.

    John

    Author: Jared Still
    INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com