We have a single HP 9000 with 2-360Mhz CPU, 4G ram and a 12 x 36G disk array.

We were running Oracle Apps 11.0.3 on Oracle 8.0.5, but recently upgraded
to Oracle 8.1.7.2 so that we could provide web access to purchasing
(iProcurement) and later to HR (employee self service).

Oh, but do we have a problem.

In testing, with a single instance, we found that the Apache web server was
able to service 1-10 users very well, 10 - 14 was poor with 1-3 minute
response time, and above 16, the web browser sessions timed out after 10
minutes. The CPUs peg at 100% around the 12 user and stay there. With 150
Purchashing users, we have delayed go-live until we get this Apache
bottleneck solved.

The boss is talking to HP about getting a second server. Server A will
have the DB and server B will have apps, Oracle web server and Apache web
servers.

I'm a thinking that we need to get that Apache web server onto a different
box of some kind.

Any ideas on dealing with the Apache server problem?

Thx.

Author: Don
INET: dondealy_at_teleport.com

  • Vergara, Michael (TEM) at Feb 14, 2002 at 4:16 pm
    Hm...a 12x36 disk array. Is that an AutoRAID?

    I had one of those hooked up to a 6-way K570 running PeopleSoft
    over Oracle 8.0.5. Yuck. P**s-poor performance all the way
    around. Especially when the disks started to fill up. The
    problem was that the array got so busy internally swapping
    stuff from the RAID 5 area to the RAID 0 area that it could
    not service the I/O requests from the database. We went to
    a fiber array and most of the problems disappeared.

    If you are using an AutoRAID, check your internal statistics
    to see if you're swapping like mad in there.

    HTH,

    Mike

    Author: Don
    INET: dondealy_at_teleport.com

    Author: Vergara, Michael (TEM)
    INET: mvergara_at_guidant.com

  • Don at Feb 15, 2002 at 5:11 pm
    Yes, that is autoraid. The db is not all that big yet, so the array stats
    show that db stuff is staying in RAID +1.

    Glance is showing that the httpd processes are choking the CPUs, forcing
    other jobs to go to "sleep".

    Author: Don
    INET: dondealy_at_teleport.com

    Author: Vergara, Michael (TEM)
    INET: mvergara_at_guidant.com

    Author: Don
    INET: dondealy_at_teleport.com

  • Vergara, Michael (TEM) at Feb 15, 2002 at 5:45 pm
    Don:

    Ok...so now the question is 'why are the http processes
    choking the system?'. I loaded the Oracle Apache web server
    on a little one-lung HP C110 workstation, and it ran fine with
    the default number of http processes, which I think was 8 or 10.
    I did throttle it back to four because this is a sandbox machine
    and 10 http process was way overkill for what I needed.

    IMHO, it's a contention issue of some kind. The CPU's peg because
    they're all waiting on a resource and can't continue until they get
    it and do something.

    Are you running the Oracle server, App server, and http server all
    on the same box? When we were running PeopleSoft, having the App
    server and DB server on the same box proved to be our biggest
    heartache. We moved the app server to a second machine and much
    of the problem went away...except for the I/O.

    Some more questions to ask are:
    Does Glance show what the http processes are doing? (what mode:
    running, waiting, sleeping, etc)
    Are your kernel parameters set up to handle many processes?
    How's your shared memory?
    Are the semaphores in contention between processes?
    Does anything else peak when the CPU's peak? I/O? Memory? Network?
    Are there any relevant messages in the syslog? alert_SID.log? Apache log?

    Keep Thinking!
    Mike

    Author: Vergara, Michael (TEM)
    INET: mvergara_at_guidant.com