It isn't an OPS issue, you can't drop a datafile without dropping the entire
tablespace. This has never been possible.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 6:08 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Hello list,

Oracle 8.1.6.3.0, on HP-UX 11.0, using Oracle Parallel Server (OPS)

According to Oracle, I should be able to drop a datafile that has no data
written to it, but I can not. Neither DBA studio (the garbage can stays
'grayed'), nor the command line (alter tablespace, with the DROP clause)
works. I had immediately taken the datafile offline (I had typed
sbplus_x18.dbf instead of sbplus_x16.dbf for the datafile name to use in
case you are wondering how this turn of events happened in the first place),
and checked all of the books, and Meta-Link. I tried a test on a
non-production machine, no go; even taking the tablespace off-line first
makes no difference. And of course I get errors as one node can not see the
other nodes sbplus_x18.dbf datafile. I tried an 'alter system check
datafiles' to see if this would make the other node happy (as the datafile
is now off-line, this may work), but I need a solution other than exporting
the data, rebuilding the tablespace, then importing the export.

Anyone ever come across this issue ?

Thank you,

Paul Sherman
DBA

voice - 781-501-4143 (office)
fax - 781-278-8341 (office)
email - psherman_at_elcom.com

Author: Sherman, Paul R.
INET: PSherman_at_elcom.com

Author: Miller, Jay
INET: JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com

  • Shantanu Talukder at Feb 7, 2002 at 5:59 pm
    Jay is absolutely right. Paul, if you would like to
    know more about your datafile issue go to
    'metalink.oracle.com' and check out 'Note:111316.1',
    which will explain everything about datafile re-org.

    --
    Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
    http://www.orafaq.com
    Author: Sherman, Paul R.
    INET: PSherman_at_elcom.com

    Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX:
    (858) 538-5051
    San Diego, California -- Public Internet
    access / Mailing Lists
    E-Mail message
    'ListGuru') and in
    ORACLE-L
    from). You may
    also send the HELP command for other information
    (like subscribing).
    Author: Miller, Jay
    INET: JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com

    Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX:
    (858) 538-5051
    San Diego, California -- Public Internet
    access / Mailing Lists
    E-Mail message
    'ListGuru') and in
    ORACLE-L
    from). You may
    also send the HELP command for other information
    (like subscribing).
    Do You Yahoo!?
    http://greetings.yahoo.com

    Author: Shantanu Talukder