The topic of "Oracle on NT vs. Oracle on UNIX" has been addressed many
times before, but in my searches I have not found hard statistics to
support either choice. I have been running Oracle on Tru64 UNIX for six
years, and it has been rock solid. I have no experience with NT other than
my desktop running OEM. As our budget time approaches along with hardware
replacement looming, I have been approached by a manager who feels that we
should move in the direction of replacing our UNIX servers with Intel
servers. His justification for this move is cost. I've seen many
references to poor stability of Oracle on NT, but all opinion, not facts.
This manager feels it is just "Microsoft Haters" who are saying this
because they hate NT and want UNIX. Personally, I think adding an Oracle
NT Server into the mix would give me experience in that area, always a good
thing, but I also worry about the stability and availability of my database
that I would be presenting to my customers. If anyone has any insights,
statistics, facts or links to documentation presenting such, I'd sure
appreciate the help.

Sherrie Kubis
Southwest Florida Water Management District
2379 Broad Street
Brooksville FL 34604-6899

Phone: (352) 796-7211, Ext. 4033
Fax: (352) 754-6776
Email: Mailto:Sherrie.Kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us

INET: Sherrie.Kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us

  • Smith, Ron L. at Jan 25, 2002 at 3:41 pm
    We have both. NT is MUCH easier to manage and set up. But unless you put
    some money in the hardware it is not as stable. Our applications have lots
    of interfaces to other servers. Lots of scheduled batch jobs. This seems
    to cause a lot of processes to get started that never stop. They tie up
    resources and eventually hang up the system. I know there should be a way
    to prevent this but I haven't found it yet. We finally started bouncing the
    server once a week and now it seems to be happy almost all the time. I can
    see why management wants to use NT. It is a lot cheaper to purchase and
    support. All our apps on NT are small with only a few users. I don't know
    if I would be ready to put a large application on NT.

    Ron Smith

    Author: Smith, Ron L.
    INET: rlsmith_at_kmg.com

  • Bill thater at Jan 25, 2002 at 4:11 pm

    Sherrie.Kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us wrote:
    thing, but I also worry about the stability and availability of my database
    that I would be presenting to my customers. If anyone has any insights,
    statistics, facts or links to documentation presenting such, I'd sure
    appreciate the help.
    i can only relate my personal experience. i had troubles with 7.3.4 on
    NT 4.0 when the datafiles got beyond about 1GB in size. we got lots of
    read errors, disk IO errors and crupted blocks. but that was on one
    instance and one server. that's the only experience i've had with NT.

    all my other experience has been on unix and VMS, and i've never had any
    problems other than hardware failures and user error.;-)

    Bill "Shrek" Thater ORACLE DBA
    bthater2_at_netscape.net
    You gotta program like you don't need the money,
    You gotta compile like you'll never get hurt,
    You gotta run like there's nobody watching,
    It's gotta come from the heart if you want it to work.
    An old friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a dead body. -
    Jim Haye

    Author: bill thater
    INET: bthater2_at_netscape.net

  • Kimberly Smith at Jan 26, 2002 at 6:12 pm
    I will start by saying that I prefer Unix but I am not actually
    a Microsoft hater per say (despite some of my comments).

    You get much more control over the performance of a Unix machine
    to tune it to the particular purpose of the apps running on it.
    I feel its more easily expandable. With the exception of some
    patches you can install software on the box without needing to
    reboot it. Only one person can sign on to an NT box but that
    is not the case with Unix.

    In our case Unix has been much more reliable but that could be
    due to the administrators. That being said, I do not think that
    NT is any easier to administer then Unix. Sure if you just install
    the OS and then do nothing to improve it its easier but when you
    have fully loaded, busy systems, you need to be real careful in
    NT.

    Author: Kimberly Smith
    INET: ksmith2_at_myfirstlink.net

  • Jan Pruner at Jan 26, 2002 at 7:43 pm
    Server on Intel HW?
    Choose Linux to run your Oracle server.

    JP

    Author: Jan Pruner
    INET: jan_at_pruner.cz

  • Jared Still at Jan 27, 2002 at 9:34 pm
    To add to Kimberly's comments regarding ease of administration:

    There was some data available a couple of years ago attesting to
    the fact that it took quite a few more man hours to administer NT
    servers than Unix servers.

    Part of that could be due to the Unix being more mature and there
    is a greater percentage of very experienced SA's in the Unix world
    than in the Windows world.

    I tend to believe that unix folks as a group tend to be more inclined
    to dig into problems, get to the heart of them, and fix them.

    The NT admin mantra tends to be 'reboot' when there are problems.

    Jared

    Author: Jared Still
    INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com