Go to http://ecard.matchmaker.com/dating.html
Author: C.S.Venkata Subramanian
INET: csvenkata_at_lycos.com

  • nlzanen1_at_EY.NL at Jan 4, 2002 at 8:21 am
    Hi,

    Tables Analyzed recently?
    Indexes analyzed recently?
    Histograms possibly?

    If all else fails hints are there to force a certain execution anyway
    (Oracle must have known that the CBO wasn't/isn't perfect) so just use
    them.

    Jack

    "C.S.Venkata Subramanian" @fatcity.com on 04-01-2002
    06:40:21

    Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

    Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com

    To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
    cc: (bcc: Jack van Zanen/nlzanen1/External/MEY/NL)

    Dear All,
    I have been entrusted to tune a web based application. This product is at
    development stage. I generated the trace file and found out the indexes on
    the table. So I specified hints in all the queries and tested the
    application. There was a remarkable increase in performance. Can any one
    tell me why we have to specify the hints in the queries, when the tables
    are having index already.

    Platform: WinNT Oracle 8.1.6. Application is developed in JSP and Web
    server is iPlanet Enterprise Edition.

    TIA

    Regards
    Venkat

    --
    Click here for your very own create-a-date adventure from MatchMaker
    Go to http://ecard.matchmaker.com/dating.html
    Author: C.S.Venkata Subramanian
    INET: csvenkata_at_lycos.com

    De informatie verzonden met dit E-mail bericht is uitsluitend bestemd voor
    de geadresseerde. Gebruik van deze informatie door anderen dan de
    geadresseerde is verboden. Openbaarmaking, vermenigvuldiging, verspreiding
    en/of verstrekking van deze informatie aan derden is niet toegestaan.
    Ernst & Young staat niet in voor de juiste en volledige overbrenging van de
    inhoud van een verzonden E-mail, noch voor tijdige ontvangst daarvan.
    The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be
    legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or
    entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to receive it. If you
    are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
    copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of
    this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Ernst &
    Young is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the
    information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its
    receipt.

    INET: nlzanen1_at_EY.NL

  • C.S.Venkata Subramanian at Jan 4, 2002 at 12:19 pm
    I have analysed the schema using dbms_utility

    --

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2002 23:25:18

    To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

    Author: C.S.Venkata Subramanian
    INET: csvenkata_at_lycos.com

  • nlzanen1_at_EY.NL at Jan 4, 2002 at 12:57 pm
    Hi

    What is the query?
    What is the explain plan w/o hints?
    what is th eexplain plan with hints?

    Is it doing hash joins w/o hints (Full table scans) and nested loops with
    hints?

    Jack

    "C.S.Venkata Subramanian" @fatcity.com on 04-01-2002
    12:35:19

    To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

    To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

    Author: C.S.Venkata Subramanian
    INET: csvenkata_at_lycos.com

[...]

  • Babu Nagarajan at Jan 4, 2002 at 2:08 pm
    are all your tables/indexes analyzed? if the statistics are not current then
    the plans chosen by the CBO can be very bad.

    babu

    Author: C.S.Venkata Subramanian
    INET: csvenkata_at_lycos.com

    Author: Babu Nagarajan