Oracle has announced ECS ends on 31-December-2003 for 8.1.7

I had expected 8.1.7 to continue to mid-2004 (it was released early/mid
2000 ?
and is the terminal 8i release).

Is there any possibility that the ECS date would be extended ?

We are just beginning to upgrade a few 7.3.4 and many 8.0.5/8.1.5/8.1.6
databases to 8.1.7 and are not yet looking at 9.0.1

Hemant

INET: hemantchitale_at_charteredsemi.com

  • Kimberly Smith at Dec 13, 2001 at 5:02 am
    Man, that's two years away. Don't worry about it. That is the
    longest Oracle has supported a release for a long while. Don't forget
    that a desupport is just no more bug fixes. Your chances of finding
    new bugs after 2003 are rare (that haven't had a patch already developed
    that is).

    Author: Kimberly Smith
    INET: ksmith2_at_myfirstlink.net

  • Orantdba at Dec 13, 2001 at 2:02 pm
    Hi all,

    Other than 7.3, for which support was extended forever due to y2k.
    Oracle, and other
    major vendors, have typically desupported a release within 12 to 18
    months after it's
    replacement was released. Sound like in this case 9i will have been
    released for over
    2 years when the terminal release of 8i is released.

    John

    Author: orantdba
    INET: orantdba_at_netscape.net