Sorry for the double posting. I failed to include a subject line initially.
My first day back, and already a list faux paus. Two I guess if you count
the double post.

Hello All,
It has been a while since I have been here, but I am back and properly s
ubscribed to the list again. I am looking to draw from your experiences
here with hardware. Our current database resides on a Data General Aviion
system with a Clarion drive cabinet. While we are very pleased with the
system, and it's performance Data General is going the way of the Dinosaur,
so we need to look at other options. The ones most currently floated have
been the Sparc 880 or the 420R either configured with dual gigahertz
processors. The IT manager has a desk piled high with marketing
gobbledeegook, and has asked me if I know anything about either system. All
I have been able to do is assure him that Solaris is essentially UNIX, and
tell him I would check with some knowledgeable folks here about the
hardware. Our DG box sports a Gig of RAM, and 4 300 mhz Intel processors.
The best thing by far about our system is the Clarion drive cabinet that
handles all our drives. The good news is I hear our cabinet is compatible
with Sun hardware, so that might come right along with us. I have done a
bit of internet searching, and seen these Sun boxes priced under 20K. My
question is this. Are these serious platforms for a business currently
handling 10K OLTP transactions a day, and looking to double or triple that
volume within two years?

Steve McClure

Author: Steve McClure
INET: smcclure_at_usscript.com

  • DENNIS WILLIAMS at Nov 29, 2001 at 11:06 pm
    Steve - Is the 420R part of the new Sun Serengeti series? We had a test box
    here and I recall the model number as being similar. If it is the same
    thing, that box was a real screamer.
    Dennis Williams
    DBA

    Lifetouch, Inc.
    dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

    Author: Steve McClure
    INET: smcclure_at_usscript.com

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  • Steve McClure at Nov 30, 2001 at 12:41 am
    Well I have just returned from the Sun site, and checked out the two
    systems. The 420r is a rackmount server in the Enterprise Server series.
    It uses Sparciii processors, up to 4 at 450mhz. I don't' think I would
    consider this configuration an upgrade. I also doubt you'd classify this
    one as a screamer.

    The 880 is one of the Sunfire series of servers sporting a pair of 2 900mhz
    64 bit UltraSparciii processors. This one sounds much more exciting to me.

    As I type this, I am informed that the powers that be are also looking at
    some HP UX boxes. Well either way we go I don't think it will be too
    traumatic for me. I am hoping for that Sun 880 now.

    Author: Steve McClure
    INET: smcclure_at_usscript.com

    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

    Author: Steve McClure
    INET: smcclure_at_usscript.com

  • Peter.McLarty_at_mincom.com at Nov 30, 2001 at 12:58 am
    Steve

    he 420R is an older sparcII server, very good for workgroups and development boxes, but with your transaction load, see if your budget will extend to a F3800 Sunfire.
    These run Solaris 8 only so if that is a problem as to the version of Oracle you have then try a 3500 or even a 4500, We are now quoting F3800's where we would have possible put a 4500,
    The 3800 is a 2 to 8 way box with the new Sparc III CPU's

    HTH

    Peter McLarty                   E-mail: Peter.Mclarty_at_Mincom.com
    Technical Consultant        WWW: http://www.Mincom.com
    APAC Technical Services     Phone: +61 (0)7 3303 3461
    Brisbane,  Australia                Mobile: +61 (0)402 094 238

    ----------------------                    Facsimile: +61 (0)7 3303 3048

    DENNIS WILLIAMS
    Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
    30/11/2001 08:54 AM
    Please respond to ORACLE-L

    Author: Steve McClure
    INET: smcclure_at_usscript.com

    Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
    San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists
    Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
    INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

    Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
    San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists

    delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this e-mail are the
    opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group
    of companies unless expressly stated otherwise.
  • Seley, Linda at Nov 30, 2001 at 1:08 am
    We have a few production E420Rs, 4-450 mhz processors, 1 to 1.5 G
    memory. I've been quoted benchmarks (although I haven't researched
    them) that an equivalent Intel processor runs faster. Based on that I
    might be inclined to recommend faster processors if we were buying new.
    The CPU does seem to be the weakest area (but then they're 450's, what
    do we expect?). However, we have our front end app on one box, Oracle
    Applications on another. We don't have much volume on a regular basis
    but the times we have (like the time 75,000+ emails were generated
    through the concurrent manager within 10 hour time frame) the machines
    handled them without breaking a sweat. We've had one minor hardware
    issue with one E420R in a year and a half (comparatively we've had more
    problems with our E4500s).

    HTH

    Linda

    Author: Steve McClure