I am putting this question again but we need little more input...

We are currently using database character set WE8ISO8859P1.
As we are storing unicode data using NVARCHAR2 ..and we are having some
problem with ODBC hadling NVARCHAR2...
So we decided to move to character set UTF8 so that we can store unicode
data in varchar2 datatype....
what are stps we need to follow so that existing data is also UTF8
COMPLIANT........

Can we use alter database command to change the character set or we need
to use EXPORT/IMPORT Utility.
Do i need to change all the existing varchar2 preicsion to 3 times their
present value example varchar2(10) to varchar2(30) OR only those columns
which wil store unicode data......
will it be possible to import data into column defined as varchar2 with
UTF8 Character set which was NVARCHAR2 in export with WE8ISO8859P1 character
set..
Do we need to change the NLS_LANG on each client machine to use UTF8 or
only the database character set.......

Thanks
-Harvinder
Author: Harvinder Singh
INET: Harvinder.Singh_at_MetraTech.com

  • Ruth Gramolini at Nov 2, 2001 at 7:38 pm
    If the character set you are going to is a superset of the old characterset
    then you won't have to do anything. If it is not, you will have to export
    and import the database to have the new characterset be good for all ot the
    data.

    HTH,

    Ruth
    I am putting this question again but we need little more input...

    We are currently using database character set WE8ISO8859P1.
    As we are storing unicode data using NVARCHAR2 ..and we are having some
    problem with ODBC hadling NVARCHAR2...
    So we decided to move to character set UTF8 so that we can store unicode
    data in varchar2 datatype....
    what are stps we need to follow so that existing data is also UTF8
    COMPLIANT........
    1) Can we use alter database command to change the character set or we need
    to use EXPORT/IMPORT Utility.
    2) Do i need to change all the existing varchar2 preicsion to 3 times their
    present value example varchar2(10) to varchar2(30) OR only those columns
    which wil store unicode data......
    3) will it be possible to import data into column defined as varchar2 with
    UTF8 Character set which was NVARCHAR2 in export with WE8ISO8859P1 character
    set..
    4) Do we need to change the NLS_LANG on each client machine to use UTF8 or

    Author: Harvinder Singh
    INET: Harvinder.Singh_at_MetraTech.com

    Author: Ruth Gramolini
    INET: rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us

  • Christian Trassens at Nov 3, 2001 at 3:28 pm
    Why first don't you try with character scanner utility
    if you have 8.1.7 ?. Just to see which approach has to
    be taken. In the end you would find whether you can
    use or not alter database character set command or
    not.

    Regards.

    --
    Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: