David,

OK, first off the Oracle sales droid and pre-sales droid came in to do the
install of the product (9iAS Enterprise Edition which BTW, you HAVE to have the
Enterprise edition or else you don't get the WEB based tool). The install
manual said it would need 6GB of HP-UX disk to install properly, BULL it was
much closer to 9GB (OK, 8.75 to be exact). You end up installing WEB forms,
graphics, reports, and the cache DB even though your not going to use them. We
were told the install and initial configuration would only take half a day, it
took that long just to read in the CD's and in actually took the better part of
16 hours with configuration going on into a third 8 hour time period. What a
pile of BLOATware, YUCK!!

Next the locator process intermittently died for no apparent reason. There
was no core dump, or other indication that something odd had happen & the log
file was less than helpful it turns out. Actually pointed us in the WRONG
direction. According to the log we were having a semaphore problem when in
truth it turned into a semaphore set problem. This thing LOVES doing IPC's.

Next we had a problem with browsers. The company 'standard' is MicroSlop IE
5.0. Suppose to work, WRONG!! The only machine that would run Discoverer was a
brand new one with ME and IE 5.51 or something like that, and then it wasn't
exactly sure it wanted to go!! This one appears to be a JVM issue (MS does not
like SUN on which Oracle's Java implementations is based), but MetaLink has a
pointer to an article on 'How to use JInitiator with IE 5.x', but for some
reason it has not been 'published' yet so you get an 'document is unavailable'
message. The product did work with Netscape 4.61 and beyond but it was SLOW to
startup. After that the interface being a 'navigation tree' was so foreign to
our users that they were totally disenchanted. The 'last straw' was the admin
edition where you had to map all of the tables, etc.. into the end user layer.
Doing certain common tasks, although possible, was not intuitive (like sub
queries). The great part was that it did use the referential integrity to self
join tables, warned when you created a Cartesian query but let you run it
anyway, and it has a damn good query predictor that gets smarter as time (read
than as number of executions of the query) passes.

What Oracle needs to do here is:

Support the MicroSlop browsers most likely by getting that article
published.
Train their sales folks, they were going through the first install right
along with us!!
Cut out the bloat. There is no reason for all the other stuff if all you
want is Discoverer.
Figure out what the 'real' numbers are for disk and semaphore sets and
publish them.
Put back that ability to use the native dictionary as well as the EUL.
That was the way it was in Discoverer 2000, why the change?
Get rid of that 'navigation tree' in favor of the graphical table layout
diagram.
Let end users edit their SQL. Easiest way to insert sub queries there
ever was.
Improve the graphics capabilities, their a little primitive in the
current version.

In the end, when we told them we had decided against Discoverer 3000 they were
"not suprised".

Dick Goulet

Author: David Wagoner
Date: 10/29/2001 10:52 AM

Dick,

Can you elaborate a little on the instability of Oracle Discoverer 3000 with
Oracle 9i database? I was planning to investigate Discoverer as an end-user
reporting/query tool sometime soon. We have Oracle 8i and 9i databases. I
just heard that Discoverer is an HTML-based data query tool for end-users.

TIA,

david

David B. Wagoner
Database Administrator
Arsenal Digital Solutions Worldwide Inc.
4815 Emperor Blvd., Suite 110
Durham, NC 27703
Tel. (919) 941-4645
Fax (919) 474-0735
Email mailto:dwagoner_at_arsenaldigital.com
Web http://www.arsenaldigital.com/

NOTICE ***

This e-mail message is confidential, intended only for the named
recipient(s) above and may contain information that is privileged, work
product or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have
received this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please
immediately notify the sender at (919) 941-4645 and delete this e-mail
message from your computer. Thank you.