Hi
Which book is good for Oracle DB tunning and Fragmentation removal?
Thanks
-Seema

Author: Seema Singh
INET: oracledbam_at_hotmail.com

  • Christopher Spence at Oct 3, 2001 at 7:46 pm
    There are many, I will name a few I like:

    O'Reilly Performance Tuning (Older but just awesome)
    O'Reilly Oracle Internals (More focused and advanced, but great)
    Oracle SQL High performance Tuning (Make sure you get the Guy Hammond
    version, excellent SQL Book)
    Oracle Press Oracle Performance Tuning (tusc) (Again, great book, more up to
    date, and detailed)
    Unix and Oracle 8i Performance tuning (Great book for those newer to Unix
    but has some more advanced things as well).

    These I have read and can vouch for, although there are some other books I
    must say are great and are not completely tuning related:

    O'Reilly PL/SQL Programming
    Practical Oracle 8i
    Learning Korn Shell

    And heard a lot of great things about Rachel's book forgive me if I get the
    name wrong,

    Oracle DBA 101

    And finally, I must say BookPool.com is the best for getting books, I get
    things in 1 day even though I pay for 5 day ground (love 1 day ship zones).

    Plus their prices are 90% of the time 40% off and reasonable shipping (they
    use USPS as well). Although they only have technical books it seems (what
    other books are worth while? Besides maybe Lord of the Rings).

    "Do not criticize someone until you walked a mile in their shoes, that way
    when you criticize them, you are a mile a way and have their shoes."

    Christopher R. Spence
    Oracle DBA
    Phone: (978) 322-5744
    Fax: (707) 885-2275

    Fuelspot
    73 Princeton Street
    North, Chelmsford 01863

    Author: Seema Singh
    INET: oracledbam_at_hotmail.com

    Author: Christopher Spence
    INET: cspence_at_FuelSpot.com

  • Veronica Levin at Oct 3, 2001 at 8:38 pm
    Oracle Performance Tunnig Tips & Techniques
    Richard J. Niemiec.
    Oracle Press

    Oracle Performance Tunning
    Gurry & Corrigan
    O'Reilly

    Saludos,
    Veronica Levin Enriquez
    Compañía Cervecera de Nicaragua

    Author: Seema Singh
    INET: oracledbam_at_hotmail.com

    Author: Veronica Levin
    INET: vlevin_at_victoria.com.ni

  • Rachel Carmichael at Oct 4, 2001 at 12:06 am
    Chris,

    thanks for the vote of confidence in our book (yes you got the name
    right), we do not cover tuning in great detail but we do cover it and
    fragmentation.

    for tuning, I'd add Oracle Performance Tuning 101 by Gaja Krishna
    Vaidyanatha and Kirti Deshpande of this list. It's a great basics book

    Rachel

    Author: Seema Singh
    INET: oracledbam_at_hotmail.com

    San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing
    Lists
    Author: Christopher Spence

    http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

  • Guy Hammond at Oct 4, 2001 at 8:27 am
    Ummm, I wrote bits of "Oracle 8i Application Programming", not the
    performance tuning one :0)

    http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp

    Author: Seema Singh
    INET: oracledbam_at_hotmail.com

    Author: Christopher Spence
    INET: cspence_at_FuelSpot.com

    Author: Guy Hammond
    INET: guy.hammond_at_avt.co.uk

  • Christopher Spence at Oct 4, 2001 at 12:30 pm
    Doht, for some reason I put your name instead of Harrison.

    Oracle SQL High Performance Tuning (Guy Harrison)

    Author: Seema Singh
    INET: oracledbam_at_hotmail.com

    Author: Christopher Spence
    INET: cspence_at_FuelSpot.com

    Author: Guy Hammond
    INET: guy.hammond_at_avt.co.uk

    Author: Christopher Spence
    INET: cspence_at_FuelSpot.com

  • Jonathan Gennick at Oct 5, 2001 at 2:24 am
    CS> O'Reilly Performance Tuning (Older but just awesome)

    Mark Gurry, author of the above, has an Oracle SQL Tuning
    Pocket Reference coming out in late November.

    The tuning book I use most often is Rich Niemiec's Oracle
    Performance Tuning Tips and Techniques. I also remember
    liking Guy Harrison's Oracle SQL High-Performance Tuning,
    but you have to watch because now there's another book on
    the market with a confusingly similar title.

    Best regards,

    Jonathan Gennick
    mailto:jonathan_at_gennick.com * 906.387.1698
    http://Gennick.com * http://MichiganWaterfalls.com * http://MetalDrums.org

    Author: Jonathan Gennick
    INET: jonathan_at_gennick.com

  • Suhen Pather at Oct 5, 2001 at 3:50 am
    List,

    I found Rich Niemiec's book absolutely useless.
    The book had many pages but did not contain much valuable information.
    Actually lots of the information in the book was inaccurate and misleading
    (Stay away).

    For advanced performance tuning refer to Oracle 8i Internal Services by
    Steve Adams, a very thin book with invaluable information about waits,
    latches and locks.

    I also found the Oracle Press book, Oracle 8 Tuning totally a waste
    by Michael Cory, Michael Abbey, ...

    I would recommend Practical Oracle 8i by Jonathan Lewis. Lots of good and
    up to the date information.

    Also Oracle Performance Tuning 101 by Gaja and Kirti makes an excellent
    tuning book which I strongly recommend.

    Regards
    Suhen

    Author: Jonathan Gennick