I know there is a way in SQL server to query oracle tables, is there a way to do the reverse?

I am looking at trying to create access from an Oracle DB to SQL Server data until we convert the SQL server database.

Anyone have any ideas on this, I searched technet (ms/oracle) and metalink, as well as some search engines without luck.

"Do not criticize someone until you walked a mile in their shoes, that way when you criticize them, you are a mile a way and have their shoes."

Christopher R. Spence

Oracle DBA

Phone: (978) 322-5744

Fax:    (707) 885-2275

Fuelspot

73 Princeton Street

North, Chelmsford 01863

Search Discussions

  • Cale, Rick T (Richard) at Oct 2, 2001 at 6:40 pm
    I have
    not used it but Oracle Transparent Gateway can query against a SQL Server
    database. This is a very expensive product.

    Rick

    -----Original Message-----From: Christopher Spence
    Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 2:41
    PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:
    Oracle -> SQL Server
[...]
  • Yexley Robert D SSgt AFIT/SCA at Oct 2, 2001 at 7:18 pm
    The only thing that I can think of would be the Oracle Transparent
    Gateway for SQL Server.  Although on the surface it appears to be a fairly
    complex tool, which means it may not be worth the effort over just going ahead
    and migrating.  Just a thought.

[...]
  • Paul Baumgartel at Oct 2, 2001 at 7:24 pm
    Sure, Oracle Transparent Gateway for SQL Server.

    Christopher Spence wrote:
    I know there is a way in SQL server to query oracle tables, is there
    a way
    to do the reverse?

    I am looking at trying to create access from an Oracle DB to SQL
    Server data
    until we convert the SQL server database.

    Anyone have any ideas on this, I searched technet (ms/oracle) and
    metalink,
    as well as some search engines without luck.

    "Do not criticize someone until you walked a mile in their shoes,
    that way
    when you criticize them, you are a mile a way and have their shoes."

    Christopher R. Spence
    Oracle DBA
    Phone: (978) 322-5744
    Fax: (707) 885-2275

    Fuelspot
    73 Princeton Street
    North, Chelmsford 01863

    Do You Yahoo!?
    http://phone.yahoo.com

    Author: Paul Baumgartel
    INET: treegarden_at_yahoo.com

  • Gogala, Mladen at Oct 2, 2001 at 7:30 pm
    There was a transparent gateway for SQL server, but I dunno whether Oracle
    still maintains it
    or not.

    I know there is a way in SQL server to query oracle tables, is there a way
    to do the reverse?

    I am looking at trying to create access from an Oracle DB to SQL Server data
    until we convert the SQL server database.

    Anyone have any ideas on this, I searched technet (ms/oracle) and metalink,
    as well as some search engines without luck.

    BM__MailAutoSig"Do not criticize someone until you walked a mile in their

    Author: Gogala, Mladen
    INET: MGogala_at_oxhp.com

  • Jan Benjamins at Oct 2, 2001 at 7:39 pm
    Hi

    Look into hetereogenous  services, at least i
    had it working on NT. I don't know if this works for Unix

    Jan Benjamins

    query oracle tables, is there a way to do the reverse?
    I am looking at trying to create access from an Oracle
    DB to SQL Server data until we convert the SQL server database.
    Anyone have any ideas on this, I
    searched technet (ms/oracle) and metalink, as well as some search engines
    without luck.
    "Do not criticize someone until you walked
    a mile in their shoes, that way when you criticize them, you are a mile a way
    and have their shoes."
    Christopher R. Spence
    Oracle DBA
    Phone: (978)
    322-5744
    Fax:    (707)
    885-2275
    Fuelspot
    73 Princeton Street
    North, Chelmsford
    01863
  • Gogala, Mladen at Oct 2, 2001 at 7:42 pm
    The white paper about the gateway to SQL server can be found

    Author: Gogala, Mladen
    INET: MGogala_at_oxhp.com

  • Satar naghshineh at Oct 2, 2001 at 7:43 pm
    Hi Christopher,

    It can be done, Usually from third party software
    companies. For example, Check out:
    http://www.datamirror.com/products/tserver/

    Back in the day (1996), Oracle had a "Mainframe &
    Integration Technologies" group that handled such
    problems. You might want to contact Oracle and see if
    such a group still exists and if they can provide you
    with a solution.

    Regards,
    Satar

    Author: satar naghshineh
    INET: satarnag_at_yahoo.com

  • Christopher Spence at Oct 2, 2001 at 7:52 pm
    It is for something which won't have a huge budget as the data is moving
    over to Oracle eventually, but for now we want access to it. I was thinking
    about just building a java/perl replication engine for now. It isn't a lot
    of data. But if there was something pre-packaged it would be nicer.

    I think the transparent gateway was dropped, either way it is so expensive
    and out of the range for such a small project.

    Author: satar naghshineh
    INET: satarnag_at_yahoo.com

    Author: Christopher Spence
    INET: cspence_at_FuelSpot.com

  • Christopher Spence at Oct 2, 2001 at 8:09 pm
    I was thinking that same thing as the easiest way as I know transparent
    isn't cheap and there probably isn't an easy way.

    I was going to use Perl/Java to make something if there isn't any other way
    like the OPENQUERY option in SQL Server to look at oracle tables.