Rachel Carmichael wrote:
way too cynical.
Thanks! It's this personality (or lack of) that has
made me very sucessful at my age. I was driving a 45k
dollar car (which you rode in) and owned my first
house at age 23. Now at 26, I also own a new Benz
(valued at 75k) and own a second home. I hate to sound
egotistical (isn't that one of the traits of a good
DBA?), but I just want you to know where I am coming
from.
One of the few things I learned in the management
class I took was "you have to train the people
below you to do your job if you ever want a
promotion"
Who wants to work in Management? At my full-time job,
I make close to what my boss makes (he is the CIO) but
without all the responsibility and dealing with
personal problems. To me, if you know the basics of
Business Management and Child Psychology, you'll do
well in Management.

If no one else can do what you do, then you can't
move on to other things.
Maybe because I'm still young, but I always believe
that your future is in your own hands, not at your
company's discretion. If I don't get what I want, then
I move on to another company. It might change when I
get married and have kids, in which I have to worry if
my child eats Frosted Flakes cereal in the morning or
if he/she goes to school hungry. Until then, I am
free.

On the other hand, Satar is a consultant.
I also have a full time job, but hopefully I can quit
my job soon if this project I'm currently working on
is sucessful. I have goals, and I am close to
self-actualizing them.
And looking at the world from that direction, you
wouldn't want anyone else around to do what you do
because you'd lose the contract if there were a
full-timer around (you can have a fulltimer put in
extra hours without having to pay more)
Nice philosophy. In a dog-eat-dog world, it's good not
to be a dog! Also, if you live in California, chances
are you are getting paid by the hour, along with
overtime. California residents, you might want to look
into California Assembly Bill 60 (AB 60) on the
internet.

But as a full-time employee, I want someone else
around. Because there is ALWAYS too much work for
one person, at least in my shop.
The MIS managers or system admins can experience
Oracle Support if they can't get a hold of me.
Unfortunately, they put a lo-jack system (cell phone)
on me, so I am available to them 24/7. To date, after
1 and half years working for this company, none of my
databases have experienced any problems. I like to
think it's due to my expertise, or maybe I'm wrong,
and it's just luck.

Also, I hope this doesn't come across mean or
unappreciative, but if you remove yourself from the
list, you will give yourself so much more time to
tackle the work at your shop. As you might have
noticed, I removed myself from the list for 7-8 months
while my company gave me the responsibility of UK's
databases. I needed that time to go to the UK,
configure and tune the datbases, setup an automated
backup and recovery procedure, post application tuning
and provide remote support, along with other things.

I do have to agree with Christopher Spence, if this is
a in-house Development, or continued developed oracle
application environment, then of course you will need
additional people to help you out.

I initially replied to this post, because I was given
the same opportunity to bring in another DBA for the
UK. I chose to do the job myself, eliminating a
part-time DBA that was positioned in the UK and also
removing the need for Oracle Support in the UK (which
is extremely expensive compared to the US).

I made my suggestion based on my previous experiences
as a consultant working for corporate America. You may
call it cynical and paranoid, which is ok because
everyone is entitled to their own views, but this is
my reality.

Rachel
Regards,
Satar

PS I'm glad to see you are OK from last week's
attacks. I was praying for everyone in NY and
Washington, especially for you. I hope you and your
family are doing well.

Author: satar naghshineh
INET: satarnag_at_yahoo.com

  • Gogala, Mladen at Sep 21, 2001 at 8:14 pm
    Where exactly are you coming from? Beware because me, my Ford F350 and my
    faithful pump-action shotgun always have the right of way, $75k car or
    not....

    Author: satar naghshineh
    INET: satarnag_at_yahoo.com

    Author: Gogala, Mladen
    INET: MGogala_at_oxhp.com

  • Christopher Spence at Sep 21, 2001 at 8:21 pm
    Geesh, and I got bashed (and still do) for being sarcastically egotistic.

    "Do not criticize someone until you walked a mile in their shoes, that way
    when you criticize them, you are a mile a way and have their shoes."

    Christopher R. Spence
    Oracle DBA
    Phone: (978) 322-5744
    Fax: (707) 885-2275

    Fuelspot
    73 Princeton Street
    North, Chelmsford 01863

    Author: satar naghshineh
    INET: satarnag_at_yahoo.com

    Author: Christopher Spence
    INET: cspence_at_FuelSpot.com

  • Weaver, Walt at Sep 21, 2001 at 8:49 pm
    Well, I guess there are different ways of measuring success.

    --Walt (I'm not coming from anywhere) Weaver
    Bozeman, Montana, USA

    Author: Weaver, Walt
    INET: wweaver_at_rightnow.com

  • Anjan Thakuria at Sep 22, 2001 at 4:42 am
    I am impressed by both of you guys. I drive a used 97 Altima....

    Author: satar naghshineh
    INET: satarnag_at_yahoo.com

    Author: Gogala, Mladen
    INET: MGogala_at_oxhp.com

  • Michael Kline at Sep 22, 2001 at 5:12 am
    Love it. Same here for the longest time. 4 kids, 1 grand child whom
    I was walking up and down the street an hour ago(Around 5:30 here).

    As a young man working with my dad, we'd often eat our lunch out in
    the back lawn of the places we would work. When done we'd often lay
    down in the grass and look up at the skies. My father would tell me
    and still does to date, "Ah, we've got God's good day, green grass,
    the spring/summer air.. Everything the rich have except the money.
    Life is good..." Amen to that. Still my philosophy today.

    And cars? Paid about $6000 for an 84 Toyota Van and have had it for
    10-15 years and have put over 150,000 on it. 213,000 miles and still
    going strong. May consider something else some day but Linda just
    took it to PA and back about 2 weeks ago. Isn't that what they are
    supposed to do?

    I make "good" money, could buy a new, but don't need to yet.

    PS: The other car is a 1973 Satellite Sebring with ZERO rust and only
    60,000 miles on it.. Purrs like a kitten.

    Pictures of all this stuff, kids, car, office at home page.

    Michael Alan Kline, Sr.; Sanctuary; 13308 Thornridge Court; Midlothian,
    VA 23112, USA. Phone: 804-744-1545 E-mail: mkline1_at_home.com
    ICQ: 1009605, 975313 PhoneFree: 1057439 http://members.home.com/mkline1
    "This work continues. This story goes on. And an angel still rides in the whirlwind
    and directs this storm." GW Bush, Inaugural
    Address 01/20/2001