Scott and Tom,

You're both right.

Prior to 8i there were two services:
oracleservice and oraclestart. The start
service controlled whether the db should attempt to be
started automatically.

Starting with 8i there is only the oracleservice
service. The start service was replaced by the
registry entry ORA__AUTOSTART that controls
whether the db should attempt to be started
automatically.

Keep in mind that in either case, the status of
oracleservice cannot be used to identify whether
the db is open. The exception is that if
oracleservice is stopped then the db cannot be
open.

The start service or the ORA__AUTOSTART registry
entry merely determine whether the appropriate version
of oradim should be called to start up the db. Prior
to 8i, this call to oradim is made via the
%ORACLE_HOME%\DATABASE\STRT.CMD file; in 8i+ a
call is made to oradim directly.

The status of the service does not change based on the
outcome of the call to oradim, so if oradim is unable
to open the db (e.g. media recovery is needed) the
service will still show as started. Nor does the
status change if the db is manually shutdown.

When creating the services via oradim the -STARTMODE
AUTO option controls whether the appropriate start
service is created or registry entry is set.

There have been several bugs in the various releases
where the services were unable to start up the db
automatically. In earlier releases, for example, tabs
in the pfile would prevent oradim from starting up the
db, but the db started fine via svrmgrl.

HTH,

Anita

Scott wrote:
Tom, You could say that I am absolutely wrong but
that
would be incorrect. I have installed Oracle on NT
many
times and I am correct in saying that when you start
the oracleservice this does not start the
instance or database by default. I have 8.0.6, 8.1.7
and 9.0.1 BETA installed and these instances don't
start when the service is started. I have to log
into
a DOS window set ORACLE_SID=ops1 then start the
instances and database. This is the default. If I
want
the instance and database to start when I start the
service I use the ORDIM.exe command to set that
feature up. I prefer not to start the instances and
database it because I run OPS and RAC on NT and I
haven't set a dependencies between the OSD services
and the Oracle SID service. If you use DataBase
Creation Assistant (DBCA) then it will not only
create
a service for you instance it will setup the
autostart
feature as well. However 9i NT BETA DBCA does not do
this but 8.1.7 does. I don't use DBCA. I create the
SID service using ORADIM.exe and I create the
database
with scripts. The NT Oracle GUI tools will setup
all
the services. Check you registry under
HK_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CURRENTCONTROLSET ->
ORACLE* and you should see the autostart service and
check the dependencies.

Scott

--- "Mercadante, Thomas F"

wrote:
Scott,

you are absolutely wrong on this one. every
database I am working with on
NT starts when the service starts. even without
setting the AUTOSTART
param.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional