Get 250 color business cards for FREE!
Author: Viraj Luthra
INET: viraj999_at_lycos.com

  • Jonathan Lewis at Aug 23, 2001 at 8:46 am
    A logical volume is not necessarily associated with
    a single disc as in most cases people tend to
    mirror/stripe a volume group across many disks
    before creating logical volumes in the volume
    group.

    However, if you execute

    vgdisplay -v /dev/vg00

    then the tail end of the report will show you the
    list of physical volumes (i.e. discs) associated
    with the volume group.

    PV Name /dev/dsk/c0t5d0
    PV Status available
    Total PE 2169
    Free PE 1328
    Autoswitch On

    You will also get a list of the logical volumes
    in the volume group

    LV Name /dev/vg00/lvol3
    LV Status available/syncd
    LV Size (Mbytes) 140
    Current LE 35
    Allocated PE 35
    Used PV 1

    If you want to track down extreme levels of detail,
    you can issue:

    lvdisplay -v /dev/vg00/lvol3

    Amongst other things, this will tell you how much
    of that logical volume is on each physical volume
    of the volume group

    Distribution of logical volume ---
    PV Name LE on PV PE on PV
    /dev/dsk/c0t5d0 35 35

    Logical extents ---
    LE PV1 PE1 Status 1
    00000 /dev/dsk/c0t5d0 00277 current
    00001 /dev/dsk/c0t5d0 00278 current
    00002 /dev/dsk/c0t5d0 00279 current

    Jonathan Lewis

    Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

    Author of:
    See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html

    For latest news of public appearances
    See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

    Screen saver or Life saver: http://www.ud.com
    Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.