Has
anyone successfully installed Oracle 9i on Sun Sparc (available from
technet).
Trying
to gzip -d the files I get 'file is not in gz format'

Yuval
Arnon.

Search Discussions

  • Thater, William at Jun 13, 2001 at 8:36 pm
    On Wed, 13 Jun 2001,Yuval Arnon scribbled on the wall in glitter crayon:

    ->Has anyone successfully installed Oracle 9i on Sun Sparc (available from
    ->technet).
    ->Trying to gzip -d the files I get 'file is not in gz format'
    ->
    ->Yuval Arnon.
    ->
    ->
    ->
    ->
    i installed it from the CDs so i can't help with that error, but feel free to write me
    when you get to the instal and get errors there, and you will.;-)

    --
    Bill "Shrek" Thater Certifiable ORACLE DBA
    Telergy, Inc. thaterw_at_telergy.net

    Author: Thater, William
    INET: ThaterW_at_telergy.net

  • Eric harrington at Jun 13, 2001 at 8:38 pm
    Received the same
    error.  Just skip to Step 2.

    After downloading the software, gunzip it.
    2. Create
    directories Disk1, Disk2 and Disk3
    cd Disk1
    cat
    .cpio | cpio -icd
    This will extract all the files for disk.
    Repeat steps 3 & 4 for disk2 and disk3

    To run the installer, cd to Disk1 and run runInstaller.

    -----Original
    Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com On
    Behalf Of Yuval ArnonSent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 5:06
    PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:
    Oracle 9i Install
    Has
    anyone successfully installed Oracle 9i on Sun Sparc (available from
    technet).
    Trying to gzip -d the files I get 'file is not in gz
    format'

    Yuval Arnon.
  • Christopher Spence at Jun 13, 2001 at 8:39 pm
    You
    need to use a download manager such as Get Right.
    It is
    nearly impossible to get it without it.

    "Walking on water and developing software from a
    specification are easy if both are frozen."
    Christopher R. Spence Oracle DBA Fuelspot

    -----Original Message-----From: Yuval Arnon
    Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 5:06
    PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:
    Oracle 9i Install
    Has
    anyone successfully installed Oracle 9i on Sun Sparc (available from
    technet).
    Trying to gzip -d the files I get 'file is not in gz
    format'

    Yuval Arnon.
  • Udaycb at Jun 13, 2001 at 8:51 pm
    I did
    install 9i successfully Y'day on Sun. Here are the steps to Follow
    as (copied from OTN),

    Directions

    src="http://otn.oracle.com/images/bullets_and_symbols/blk_line_bullet_35.gif"
    width=35>
    1. After downloading the software, gunzip
    it.

    src="http://otn.oracle.com/images/bullets_and_symbols/blk_line_bullet_35.gif"
    width=35>
    2. Create directories Disk1, Disk2 and Disk3

    src="http://otn.oracle.com/images/bullets_and_symbols/blk_line_bullet_35.gif"
    width=35>

    3. cd Disk1

    src="http://otn.oracle.com/images/bullets_and_symbols/blk_line_bullet_35.gif"
    width=35>
    4. cat .cpio | cpio
    -icdThis will extract all the files for disk1.

    src="http://otn.oracle.com/images/bullets_and_symbols/blk_line_bullet_35.gif"
    width=35>
    5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 for disk2 and
    disk3

    src="http://otn.oracle.com/images/bullets_and_symbols/blk_line_bullet_35.gif"
    width=35>
    6. To run the installer, cd to Disk1 and run
    runInstaller

    Note:
    I did not try to gunzip as said in step 1. Did steps 2 to
    6...
    Regards
    Uday

    -----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com
    On Behalf Of Yuval ArnonSent:
    Wednesday, June 13, 2001 5:06 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list
    ORACLE-LSubject: Oracle 9i Install
    Has
    anyone successfully installed Oracle 9i on Sun Sparc (available from
    technet).
    Trying to gzip -d the files I get 'file is not in gz
    format'

    Yuval Arnon.
  • Richard Ji at Jun 13, 2001 at 9:01 pm
    I haven't installed it yet. But I was able to gunzip it.
    Yuval.Arnon_at_wwfent.com 06/13/01 05:05PM >>>

    Author: Richard Ji
    INET: rji_at_exenet.com

  • Rachel Carmichael at Jun 13, 2001 at 9:06 pm
    it is? I got it, from otn, no problem. And it gunzipped fine.

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

  • Vergara, Michael (TEM) at Jun 13, 2001 at 9:57 pm
    I tried on HP...skip that step and go right to the
    'cpio' step.

    HTH,
    Mike

    ---
    Michael P.
    Vergara
    I’ve got a PBS mind in an MTV world
    Oracle
    DBA
    Guidant
    Corporation
    -----Original Message-----From: Yuval Arnon
    Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 2:06
    PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:
    Oracle 9i Install
    Has
    anyone successfully installed Oracle 9i on Sun Sparc (available from
    technet).
    Trying to gzip -d the files I get 'file is not in gz
    format'

    Yuval Arnon.
  • Christopher Spence at Jun 14, 2001 at 1:42 pm
    Some
    browsers (i.e. in Solaris itself) will automatically try to ungzip

    -----Original Message-----From: udaycb
    Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 5:52
    PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: RE:
    Oracle 9i Install
    did install 9i successfully Y'day on Sun. Here are the steps to Follow
    as (copied from OTN),

    Directions

    http://otn.oracle.com/images/bullets_and_symbols/blk_line_bullet_35.gif"
    width=35 NOSEND="1">
[...]