We have Oracle 8i Rel installed on a W2K server. The Oracle Home is located
on the E: drive. Yesterday an "accidental" deletion occured of files on the
C: drive which resulted in files being deleted in the C:\Program
Files\Oracle dirs and below. No backup exists of these files :(

So I'm wondering
[1] What implications this has for the Oracle install? E.g. I suspect
records of installed components may have been deleted.

[2] What can I do to replace these files from Oracle install CD?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Rookie Data Base Administrator
[0%] OCP Oracle8i DBA
[0%] OCP Oracle9i DBA

Organon (Ireland) Ltd.
http://www.organon.ie
E-mail: sean.oneill_at_organon.ie [subscribed: Digest Mode]

"Nobody loves me but my mother..... and she could be jivin' too." - BB King

Author: O'Neill, Sean
INET: Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie

  • Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY) at May 23, 2001 at 11:17 pm
    Sean,

    See below for some Oracle specific answers, but I would consider "Emergency
    Undelete" by Executive Software.
    See for example http://www.execsoft-europe.com/downloads/english/udfree.htm
    It appears that Undelete is no longer offered as freeware, but Version 1.2
    of Undelete was freeware and this might help you.

    To help clarify what has been lost, you may have also lost the OUI itself
    and the JRE.

    Check your path to confirm where the JRE was installed - if you have lost
    this then amongst other things the Configuration Assistants will no longer
    work.
    Was the OUI installed?
    Unless you have set the oracle_base environment variable or altered the
    destination during the installation the default location for both the JRE
    and the OUI is the c:\program file\oracle dir.

    Also the Windows Config assistant might have been lost as well (if it was
    installed).

    As for replacing them, then only guessing here - I would imagine the OUI,
    JRE and Win Config assistant could be copied from another server.
    As for the inventory file - unsure.
    For future reference, note that if Oracle_base is set (or perhaps if you
    follow the instructions in Note:71919.1 Debugging the Universal Installer)
    you can alter where the inventory dir is created.

    Regards,
    Bruce Reardon

    Author: O'Neill, Sean
    INET: Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie

    Author: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY)
    INET: Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au