Being a relatively new and often times struggling Oracle DBA I was wondering
what 3 or 4 books everyone recommends as a must have reference/knowledge
base in day to day support/programming of their databases.

Author: Keith Myers
INET: kmyers2_at_bgnet.bgsu.edu

  • Thater, William at May 8, 2001 at 6:39 pm
    On Tue, 8 May 2001,Keith Myers scribbled on the wall in glitter crayon:

    ->Being a relatively new and often times struggling Oracle DBA I was wondering
    ->what 3 or 4 books everyone recommends as a must have reference/knowledge
    ->base in day to day support/programming of their databases.
    ->
    ->
    One I recommend and use is Oracle DBA 101. My advice, get it, read it, highlight it,
    and scribble notes in the margins. Mine sits next to me as I work. I just wish it
    had wider margins for note scribbling.;-)

    Another is Oracle Backup and Recovery, same advice.

    And for a third... ORACLE SQL & PL/SQL Annotated Archives.

    YMMV, yadda yadda yadda.

    --
    Bill Thater Certifieable ORACLE DBA
    Telergy, Inc. thaterw_at_telergy.net

    Author: Thater, William
    INET: ThaterW_at_telergy.net

  • Ed.Haskins_at_VerizonWireless.com at May 8, 2001 at 6:57 pm
    It kinda depends on your environment, but I like:

    Oracle8i DBA Handbook
    Oracle Press

    Oracle8i Backup and Recovery
    Oracle Press

    Oracle 24x7 Tips and Techniques
    Oracle Press

    Oracle Networking 101
    Oracle Press

    Oracle Documentation
    http://otn.oracle.com

    This covers much of the core Oracle DBA stuff. For some advanced topics:

    Oracle Internal Services: Waits, Latches...
    Steve Adams
    O'Reilly

    Unix for Oracle
    Don Burleson
    O'Reilly

    (Can't remember exact name) Oracle Performance Tuning
    Guy Harrison
    (Publisher?)

    Haven't read book yet, but looks good:
    Oracle STATS Pack
    Don Burleson
    Oracle Press

    Hope that helps

    Ed Haskins
    Oracle DBA
    Verizon Wireless

    Author: Keith Myers
    INET: kmyers2_at_bgnet.bgsu.edu

    INET: Ed.Haskins_at_VerizonWireless.com

  • Matthew M. Teixeira at May 9, 2001 at 3:46 am
    Just to throw in my 2 cents (and you owe me a penny back), some good
    references that I have read include:

    Practical Oracle8i - Jonathan Lewis
    Great look at the features of Oracle 8i from high up: not an

    incredibly technical book but a refreshing read

    Oracle Performance Tuning Tips & Techniques - Niemiec
    Excellent for tuning suggestions

    Oracle 8i Complete Reference
    If you write any SQL or PL/SQL procedures, you want this book on

    your desk

    Books I have on my desk to read that we're reviewed positively on
    Amazon:

    Oracle8i Administration & Management - Ault
    Oracle SQL High Performance Tuning - Harrison

    Books I have yet to get that I understand are excellent:

    Oracle8i DBA Tips & Techniques

    And a book to stay away from:

    Oracle DBA Handbook
    I have it on my desk and very rarely have I found an answer to
    my question in that book

    Hope that helps a little bit....

    Matthew M. Teixeira
    mteixei1_at_twcny.rr.com

    Author: Keith Myers

    Author: Matthew M. Teixeira
    INET: mteixei1_at_twcny.rr.com

  • Rachel Carmichael at May 9, 2001 at 1:09 pm
    hm, I'm surprised you don't like the DBA Handbook... I've found it a great
    reference (if admittedly somewhat hard to read).

    Author: Keith Myers

    Author: Matthew M. Teixeira
    INET: mteixei1_at_twcny.rr.com

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

  • SuzyV at May 10, 2001 at 12:03 am
    Haven't used my copy much either. Agree that it's hard to read, maybe because
    it's organized such that it's difficult to find things in haste, or there
    isn't enough white space, or the font bugs me, I dunno :-)

    Author: Keith Myers

    Author: Matthew M. Teixeira
    INET: mteixei1_at_twcny.rr.com

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

    Author: SuzyV
    INET: lvordos_at_datsit.com

  • Rachel Carmichael at May 10, 2001 at 2:12 am
    can you imagine how BIG that book would be if the font was larger???

    Author: Keith Myers

    Author: Matthew M. Teixeira
    INET: mteixei1_at_twcny.rr.com

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

    Author: SuzyV
    INET: lvordos_at_datsit.com

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

  • SuzyV at May 10, 2001 at 7:08 pm
    Hmmm, I was thinking the font was large, but squishy at the same time :)

    Author: Keith Myers

    Author: Matthew M. Teixeira
    INET: mteixei1_at_twcny.rr.com

    Author: Rachel Carmichael