----- Original Message -----
To: "Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L"
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 1:46 PM
I have a Excel file.How to port the data to Oracle table.

I read some artical about using ODBC and things like that.But
I am not clear.

How can we generate a dat file delimited with comas so that I can
use SQlLOADer to port the data.

Thanks
Ravindra

Author: Ravindra Basavaraja
INET: ravindra_at_sentica.com

    Author: Ravindra Basavaraja
    INET: ravindra_at_sentica.com

  • Haskins, Ed at Mar 29, 2001 at 7:45 pm
    Ravindra,

    The first thing you need to do is convert the Excel file to CSV. Do this by
    opening the Excel file, do a "FILE | SAVE AS" and select "File Type" CSV.
    This will create you CSV file!

    Ed Haskins
    Oracle DBA
    Verizon Wireless

    Author: Ravindra Basavaraja
    INET: ravindra_at_sentica.com

    Author: Haskins, Ed
    INET: Ed.Haskins_at_VerizonWireless.com

  • William Beilstein at Mar 29, 2001 at 7:50 pm
    Use the save as option in Excel and save as a comma or tab delimited text file. In
    other words a CSV or TXT file. The CSV is comma delimited, the TXT is tab delimited.
    SQLLOADER can use either (with the correct control file)
    ravindra_at_sentica.com 03/29/01 01:46PM >>>

    Author: Ravindra Basavaraja
    INET: ravindra_at_sentica.com

    Author: William Beilstein
    INET: BeilstWH_at_obg.com

  • Melissa Paglia at Mar 29, 2001 at 8:16 pm
    I have to do this all the time. But, I also have MS Access on my PC, so I
    import the Excel file to Access (as a table)
    and then export this table using ODBC to my oracle database.
    You will need to download ODBC drivers for your P.C..

    Author: Ravindra Basavaraja
    INET: ravindra_at_sentica.com

    Author: Melissa Paglia
    INET: mpaglia_at_fastweb.com

  • Ravindra Basavaraja at Mar 29, 2001 at 9:13 pm
    Thanks for all the replies.

    I am able to load data to the table.the table is having a number column and
    a varchar column.
    In the varchar column *some* records are being inserted with double quotes
    at the beginning and
    end of the data feild and all witha comma as the end.I don't want these
    double quote and
    comma.How do avoid these from going into the table.

    Thanks
    Ravindra

    Author: Ravindra Basavaraja
    INET: ravindra_at_sentica.com

    Author: William Beilstein
    INET: BeilstWH_at_obg.com

    Author: Ravindra Basavaraja
    INET: ravindra_at_sentica.com

  • William Beilstein at Mar 29, 2001 at 10:01 pm
    make a tab delimited file and use chr(9) as the delimiter in the control file.
    ravindra_at_sentica.com 03/29/01 04:15PM >>>

    Author: Ravindra Basavaraja
    INET: ravindra_at_sentica.com

    Author: William Beilstein
    INET: BeilstWH_at_obg.com

    Author: Ravindra Basavaraja
    INET: ravindra_at_sentica.com

    Author: William Beilstein
    INET: BeilstWH_at_obg.com

  • Pierre.olaru_at_citicorp.com at Mar 30, 2001 at 7:13 am
    Ravindra,

    Besides the conventional way of exporting into a CSV and then use SQLLoader,
    please be informed that there are 2 product which are able to handle your
    requirement. One is SecondWind and the second is Oraxcel.

    Regards,
    Pierre

    Author: Ravindra Basavaraja
    INET: ravindra_at_sentica.com

    INET: pierre.olaru_at_citicorp.com

  • Tzachi Nissim at Mar 30, 2001 at 11:39 am
    You are making your life so difficult... :)
    As of Oracle 8.16, Oracle provides you with a free gateway to ODBC
    datasources - you can easily access Excel just as though it was an Oracle
    table. Why bother with all the transfers and all that? If you still need the
    table as a native Oracle table, just move the data as you would between two
    Oracle tables. It works and it is free.

    Tzachi

    Author: Ravindra Basavaraja

    Author: Tzachi Nissim
    INET: tzachi_at_attunity.co.il

  • Mark Leith at Mar 30, 2001 at 1:42 pm
    Where exactly can I RTFM about this then?

    I take it that I can make Oracle "think" that an Excel spreadsheet is a
    table, and do a simple create table excel_table as select...?

    Cheers

    Mark

    Author: Ravindra Basavaraja

    Author: Tzachi Nissim
    INET: tzachi_at_attunity.co.il

    Author: Mark Leith
    INET: mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk

  • Stefan Jahnke at Mar 30, 2001 at 2:50 pm
    Hi,

    take a look at the documentation for Oracle Gateway.
    If you are on an NT box, the part of Oracle Gateway that gives you
    access to com sources like Excel is for free and comes with your Oracle
    Server.
    You just have to set it up;)
    But the manual is pretty clear.

    Author: Ravindra Basavaraja

    Author: Tzachi Nissim
    INET: tzachi_at_attunity.co.il

    Author: Mark Leith
    INET: mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk

    This Mail has been checked for Viruses

    * * *

    Diese Mail wurde auf Viren ueberprueft
    Hinweis: Verschluesselte Mails koennen NICHT geprueft werden !
    Stefan Jahnke
    BOV AG
    @:D2 Vodafone, Abt.: FIBM
    AMS-Gebäude: E6 R08