help! I am by no means the world's best PL/SQL programmer (heck, I can
barely program in it, PL/SQL 101 is on my desk at home)

I am trying to see how hard it would be to add encryption to sensitive data
in our database, so I'm playing with DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT.

I created a table:
SQL> desc test_encrypt

Name Null? Type
------------------------------- -------- ----
COL1 VARCHAR2(10)
COL2 VARCHAR2(10)

and wrote a quick and dirty PL/SQL anonymous block:

begin
declare

encrypted_str varchar2(10);
inp_string varchar2(10);

begin

inp_string := '123456';
dbms_obfuscation_toolkit.desencrypt(inp_string,'lksdjfasljf',encrypted_str);

insert into test_encrypt values (inp_string,encrypted_str);
commit;

end;
end;
/

when I run this, I get the following error:

dbms_obfuscation_toolkit.desencrypt
(inp_string,'lksdjfasljf',encrypted_str);

*
ERROR at line 7:

ORA-06550: line 7, column 6:
PLS-00307: too many declarations of 'DESENCRYPT' match this call
ORA-06550: line 7, column 6:

PL/SQL: Statement ignored

now, I KNOW that they overload the procedure, they say so in the
dbmsobtk.sql file in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin

but what am I doing wrong that it's not recognizing that I'm using varchar
not raw and accepting what I input???

Not urgent, but annoying

Rachel

Author: Rachel Carmichael
INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

  • Vadim Gorbounov at Mar 21, 2001 at 11:10 pm
    Hi Rachel,
    I believe, this is bug. I had the same problem, workaround is to create
    stored procedure wrapper, not use
    dbms_obfuscation_toolkit.desencrypt in anonymous block.

    Another important note - both key and data lengths should be
    multiples of 8.

    hope this helps

    Vadim Gorbounov
    Oracle DBA

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

    Author: Vadim Gorbounov
    INET: vgorbounov_at_simplyengineering.com

  • Vadim Gorbounov at Mar 21, 2001 at 11:25 pm
    Sorry, important add-in,
    this should work too

    dbms_obfuscation_toolkit.DESencrypt(

    input_string => data,
    key_string => key,
    encrypted_string => ddata);

    Vadim

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

    Author: Vadim Gorbounov
    INET: vgorbounov_at_simplyengineering.com

  • Nelson, Greg at Mar 21, 2001 at 11:58 pm
    I'm not too good at PL/SQL either and I struggled with using the
    dbms_obfuscation package to create functions to encrypt and decrypt data.
    We want to encrypt passwords for DBAs in a table. Now that I have the
    functions they can be used for other data too. The best thing I found was a
    tip by Tom Kyte in his column the Jan/Feb issue of Oramag. He says the
    trick to using it is to make the key and input data a length divisible by 8.
    Using that I finally figured how to do it. Check out the article for a good
    example. Its late in the day and I don't know PL/SQL good enuff to figure
    out your exact problem. You're welcome to contact me for my code if you
    like.

    Greg
    gnelson_at_banknorth.com

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

    Author: Nelson, Greg
    INET: GNelson_at_banknorth.com

  • Khedr, Waleed at Mar 22, 2001 at 12:38 am
    I do not have the package installed but I found this in the DOC which may
    help:

    If the input data or key given to the PL/SQL DESEncrypt function is empty,
    then Oracle raises ORA error 28231 "Invalid input to Obfuscation toolkit".

    If the input data given to the DESEncrypt function is not a multiple of 8
    bytes, Oracle raises ORA error 28232 "Invalid input size for Obfuscation
    toolkit".

    If the user tries to double encrypt data using the DESEncrypt function, then
    Oracle raises ORA error 28233 "Double encryption not supported by DESEncrypt
    in
    Obfuscation toolkit".

    Encryption Procedure Restriction

    The DESEncryption procedure has two restrictions. The first is that the DES
    key length for encryption is fixed at 56 bits; you cannot alter this key
    length.

    The second is that you cannot execute multiple passes of encryption. That
    is, you cannot re-encrypt previously encrypted data by calling the function
    twice.

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

    Author: Khedr, Waleed
    INET: Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM

  • Vinod Nagaraj at Mar 22, 2001 at 12:42 am
    when i run the plsql block for the encryption i got this error, pls tell what to
    do

    ERROR at line 7:
    ORA-06550: line 7, column 1:
    PLS-00201: identifier 'DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT.DESENCRYPT' must be declared

    thanks

    Vadim Gorbounov wrote:
    Sorry, important add-in,
    this should work too

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

    Author: Vadim Gorbounov
    INET: vgorbounov_at_simplyengineering.com

  • Jack C. Applewhite at Mar 22, 2001 at 12:45 am
    Rachel,

    Perhaps if you used Named Notation for the arguments for the
    procedure, Oracle would understand which of the overloaded
    procs you're calling.

    dbms_obfuscation_toolkit.desencrypt
    (

    input_string => inp_string,key_string => 'lksdjfasljf',encrypted_string => encrypted_str

    );

    Let us know what works.

    Jack

    Jack C. Applewhite
    Database Administrator/Developer
    OCP Oracle8 DBA
    iNetProfit, Inc.
    Austin, Texas
    www.iNetProfit.com
    japplewhite_at_inetprofit.com

    Author: Jack C. Applewhite
    INET: japplewhite_at_inetprofit.com

  • Rachel Carmichael at Mar 22, 2001 at 12:47 am
    not the same errors, but at the same time, I am not giving it a proper
    encryption key... I'll try that tomorrow at work and see if that changes
    anything.

    Thanks!

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

    Author: Khedr, Waleed
    INET: Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

  • Rachel Carmichael at Mar 22, 2001 at 12:49 am
    thanks.. I'll try this as well

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

    Author: Vadim Gorbounov
    INET: vgorbounov_at_simplyengineering.com

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

  • Jacques Kilchoer at Mar 22, 2001 at 1:07 am