John

Author: John Hindmarsh
INET: jwhindmarsh_at_email.msn.com

  • Ron Rogers at Mar 13, 2001 at 7:02 pm
    Did you pay for the "right to use license" from Oracle????

    The download that you did...Was it for Win2000??
    ROR mª¿ªm
    jwhindmarsh_at_email.msn.com 03/13/01 12:46PM >>>
    I downloaded EM. Trying to install in Windows 2000 environment. THe first
    screen starts up ok, but when I select the install option, it all just fades
    away and nothing happens. No obvious error, no messages logged that I can
    see, etc.

    Any suggestions?

    Cheers,

    John

    Author: John Hindmarsh
    INET: jwhindmarsh_at_email.msn.com

    Author: Ron Rogers
    INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org

  • John Hindmarsh at Mar 13, 2001 at 7:20 pm
    It is Oracle Enterprise Manager Release 2.2 for Windows

    It is under a development license per
    http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/oem/software_index.htm

    Cheers,

    John

    Author: John Hindmarsh
    INET: jwhindmarsh_at_email.msn.com

    Author: Ron Rogers
    INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org

    Author: John Hindmarsh
    INET: jwhindmarsh_at_email.msn.com

  • John Hindmarsh at Mar 14, 2001 at 9:06 pm
    Any thoughts?

    This is version 2.2.

    Development license per download from ORacle.

    Author: John Hindmarsh
    INET: jwhindmarsh_at_email.msn.com

  • John Hindmarsh at Mar 14, 2001 at 11:31 pm
    As a last resort I tried installing EM on a server, instead of on my Windows
    2000 Professional workstation - yep, it is installing on the server!

    So you have to be locked away with the servers to manage them? You cannot
    manage them from a workstation?

    Strange approach...

    Cheers,

    John Hindmarsh
    MCT MCSE MCDBA

    www.sql2000dba.com

    Author: John Hindmarsh
    INET: jwhindmarsh_at_email.msn.com

    Author: John Hindmarsh
    INET: jwhindmarsh_at_email.msn.com

  • Paul Drake at Mar 15, 2001 at 6:52 am
    John,

    I agree that some tools aren't good on the server.
    OEM doesn't do any harm when its not in use.
    Its nice to have around during maintenance periods - when you don't care
    that all of those power units are going to jre.exe.
    The thing that I like least about terminal services is that the service
    shows up in a browser format on other W2K servers in the domain - like
    on a Citrix Server.
    So any yahoo on the network with domain admin owns the Oracle Box
    desktop.
    Your WinVNC password is your own.
    not that there aren't brute-force attacks for VNC (there are), but no
    one should use VNC outside of a secured LAN.

    Paul

    John Hindmarsh wrote:
    Thanks Paul for your comment. I daresay terminal server will also allow
    remote utilization of server resources - but these are not good solutions -
    IMO it is preferable to keep some tools away from the server environment.

    Cheers,

    John
    Author: Paul Drake
    INET: paled_at_home.com